: Over Steer

the blur
01-10-13, 01:48 AM
I am looking to setup a 2004 V for track. I want to totally elimate any chance of over steer. Bigger rear tires, smaller front tires, less rear bar. Anything to keep the rear from stepping out.
Since I am new to V's, what is the standard setup for the suspension, on a road course.

thanks!!!

AAIIIC
01-10-13, 09:04 AM
Leave Stability Control on. Done.

Seriously, it's a production sedan. GM designed it for the average incompetent driver to not kill themself. Regardless of how much you try to "oversteer-proof" the car, if you drive it wrong, it'll still oversteer. I guess I just don't understand the point of the question.

I run a square wheel/tire setup on track, and have a larger (Hotchkis) rear sway bar with the stock front bar, and the car still understeers.

Andringa
01-10-13, 11:48 AM
I am looking to setup a 2004 V for track. I want to totally elimate any chance of over steer. Bigger rear tires, smaller front tires, less rear bar. Anything to keep the rear from stepping out.
Since I am new to V's, what is the standard setup for the suspension, on a road course.

thanks!!!

I wouldn't change anything until you actually drive it on track.

What makes you think that your V has too much oversteer?

I think that the majority of us run basically stock suspension on the road course. The most common suspension mods are probably sway bars and lowering springs. The springs are probably more for looks than performance. People that track their cars more than a few times a year usually end up upgrading shocks to something that is adjustable. The KW V3 coilover setup is very popular and can be had for ~$2k.

odla
01-10-13, 12:29 PM
Yea give us some more info. Are you going on track for your first time? Any experience on the track in any car? I feel it's always best to learn on what you have then make tweaks. Like aaiiic said if you can drive any car into a not so friendly situation.

crankedupforit
01-10-13, 01:25 PM
Over steer won't be a problem. Most of us are trying to figure out how to get the car to stop pushing. If you're just getting on the track with a V1 you won't need to be concerned that the car has a propensity to over steer. It doesn't, unless you run out of skill, which is how most of us get into trouble.

RyRidesMotoX
01-10-13, 01:38 PM
After going from all red cars to a fwd turbo car I can't wait to get on the track, remove the traction control off and step the back end out around a few turns.

OneFast V
01-10-13, 03:14 PM
The only oversteer you will experience in the V is power oversteer. So if you get on it too early out of an exit yes it will start oversteer, however with stability control on it generally limits that.

odla
01-10-13, 06:34 PM
Take a look at some of the videos at this thread. You will see that you really only get in trouble when you don't drive correctly for the turn. At least that's what my case was lol. Like stated above under steer will be more important to dial in.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/270046-lets-post-track-vids-here.html[COLOR="Silver"]

JDB
01-10-13, 10:57 PM
It only overseers because of throttle-on oversteer. Its not the suspension, tires, alignment. Do more DE events.

odthetruth
01-10-13, 11:57 PM
The first instinct of the car will be to understeer due to being nose heavy. HOWEVER, the instant you're hard off the power, or braking mid-corner, that is going to induce oversteer. So is gasing it hard mid corner or even sometimes at the exit, depending on how you're angled.

The #1 mod you can do in the V, is the driver. Practice with it a bit on the track before you start throwing money at mods.

BradCTSV
01-11-13, 12:40 AM
If you spend some time with the V on a skidpad and autocross course you can learn your driving limits at lower speeds, before you run higher speeds on a road course.

RyRidesMotoX
01-11-13, 04:06 AM
Well I'm going to the first track day in the v this month at a small track near my house. We will see what happens.

Andringa
01-11-13, 11:32 AM
Well I'm going to the first track day in the v this month at a small track near my house. We will see what happens.

The worst part about snow is knowing that other people are going to track days while you are shoveling the crap off your driveway.
Hope you have a great time!

RyRidesMotoX
01-13-13, 03:01 PM
The worst part about snow is knowing that other people are going to track days while you are shoveling the crap off your driveway.
Hope you have a great time!

Haha yea I can sympathize with that. Its not a spectacular track but its close and its cheap. I have 2 cameras so I'll try and get some filming in.

AAIIIC
01-14-13, 11:30 AM
One would think the OP would come back to discuss this further.

the blur
01-14-13, 11:44 AM
No need, I got my answer.