: Does my intake void my cadillac converter warranty

AriGold.
01-08-13, 11:07 PM
Like the title says.. Does it? Mines bad..

PGA2B
01-08-13, 11:34 PM
No it does not. Magnuson Mass Act.

AriGold.
01-09-13, 12:10 AM
Thanks PGA!

PGA2B
01-09-13, 09:26 AM
No problem. Mine is going in for the passenger side Friday.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-09-13, 12:08 PM
PGA & Ari, I'm glad to see you two are working towards a resolution for your concerns, and don't hesitate to email me if you have any additional questions along the way. I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

originalgarage
01-09-13, 03:03 PM
for the record, it's a catalytic converter.

AriGold.
01-09-13, 04:42 PM
I noticed what I did when I posted it.. said hell with it though.

PNBLWZD
01-10-13, 01:05 AM
Depends on the dealer actually, as some are more mod friendly than others. My dealer is not very mod friendly, and tried to blame a power steering noise on my aftermarket wheels.

PGA2B
01-10-13, 10:02 AM
You need to find a new dealer!

bjherron123
01-10-13, 02:08 PM
No it does not. Magnuson Mass Act.

not exactly true. Magnuson Moss Act was created so manufacturer's wouldn't void warranties when a customer purchased non-OE parts that had the same function. An example would be a person replacing an alternator from AC Delco with an Alternator for Cardone. In that instance, the warranty should not be voided for the rest of the car. It was intended to curb anti-trust practices of forcing customers to buy OE parts.

Magnuson Moss act does not say that you can modify the performance of your vehicle and then expect OE parts to be covered. Why would they be responsible for the reliability of their parts if you changed the overall system to act in a different way than designed. This has been proved time and time again by all of the warranty denials for people that tuned their gas and diesel vehicles or cranked up boost and then were denied warranty claims after they burned up a motor or broke a transmission.

Unfortunately, that "Bad behavior" of people trying to get a free fix after they broke their car with modifications has caused many dealers to deny warranty claims when they see any modification at all. Your success will entirely depend on the attitude of the dealer and willingness to be open about it.

Your dealer could say that your air intake changed the performance of the engine, and also the transfer function of the MAF causing the catalytic converter to pre-maturely fail. It's hard to argue that the aftermarket intake didn't change the performance, or that it could have some impact on the air/fuel ration because of a slight change in the MAF transfer function.

Hopefully you have a dealer that values your business and will do their best to work around that. It's not a black and white issue.

AriGold.
01-11-13, 06:13 PM
Dealer called about 5 minutes ago. Said the part was at least two weeks out! He said the factory has to make one. They wanted the loaner back but that didn't happen.

PGA2B
01-11-13, 06:54 PM
Can't believe they took it apart without having the new manifold. Mine is getting replaced Monday as the couldn't fit me in today. Usually takes 2-4 weeks to get them. Mine was the passenger side.

PGA2B
01-15-13, 12:32 AM
Got mine back today and man it smells! All the oils and crap burning off the manifold and cat.

Big thanks to Dan and Mark at Kachina. Even got a loaner to get to work with.

kbf250
01-16-13, 11:09 PM
PGA2B,did they cover under warranty with your mods.
I need drivers side now. Had passengers done two years ago.

PGA2B
01-16-13, 11:44 PM
Yep, all under warranty and even threw in a rental.