: Will not start. Help please.

Thomas Roberts
01-08-13, 06:14 PM
I have an '06 STS-V and it was parked for about a week. I went to start it the other day and the battery was too weak to start it so I charged it up and then installed a battery tender. So I go out today to go pickup my daughter and detach the tender and the plug hit a bolt and sparked. Now it will not start, it will not unlock with the key fob, it won't do anything and the engine light is on. I tried disconnecting the battery but that didn't work but it did make a clicking noise under the engine cover when reattaching it. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be before I call a rollback to come and get it to take it to the shop?

TimmyC
01-08-13, 06:48 PM
Sounds like the battery is bad. You might be able to jump it to get home.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-08-13, 07:12 PM
We're sorry to hear that your STS-V isn't starting, Thomas! if you don't already have a towing service in mind and are in need, Cadillac Roadside Assistance can be reached at 800-224-1400. Hope everybody gets home safely!
Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

Thomas Roberts
01-08-13, 07:42 PM
The battery has charge. I hooked the charger to it and it says it's fine.

wake
01-08-13, 10:39 PM
Sounds like the battery is bad. You might be able to jump it to get home.

That's also what I'm thinking. Mine behaved the same way when my battery was dead.

boomys10
01-08-13, 11:51 PM
i would check a few things, start with the battery, then move to the connections and the positive/negative cables. then move into the fuse box. this is where things get interesting. ALL FUSES MUST HAVE 12 VOLTS!!!! important note there. i spend hours trying to find the issue with mine when it would start and it was the cable going into the fuse box on the top right (driver side). the nut that held the connector down had loosened somehow. once tightened, all was fine again. i would take the battery out and take it to auto parts store and have tested first though. most common issue causing your problems is battery. however, if battery is good, the battery cables are also common. you can skip those two steps with a volt meter and pull the ecm fuse and check the voltage to it, should match what the battery is putting out, if it doesnt, its a connection in between the 2 points being loose.

carter's_sts
01-09-13, 12:23 AM
Use a real volt meter to check the battery. Make sure you have 12+ volts. The charger might just be showing that its not taking more of a charge and it shows it as charged.

The battery could be (and probably is) bad still.

The battery has charge. I hooked the charger to it and it says it's fine.

Thomas Roberts
01-09-13, 05:39 PM
Use a real volt meter to check the battery. Make sure you have 12+ volts. The charger might just be showing that its not taking more of a charge and it shows it as charged.

The battery could be (and probably is) bad still.

The car had started fine 10 minutes before with the remote start. It did not sound weak or drag.

carter's_sts
01-09-13, 09:38 PM
Ok, but you still really need to know what voltage the battery is sitting at as a starting place.

One way for batteries to fail is a sudden short in one of the 6 cells. If that happens, the voltage will be around 2.2 volts low.

My battery failed very suddenly like that and bad batteries are very common with these cars. It may not be your battery, but that is the most basic thing to start with.

Good luck.

Thomas Roberts
01-09-13, 10:37 PM
I will try that tomorrow(if the rain lets up). Thanks of the help

PNBLWZD
01-09-13, 11:57 PM
Probably the battery. I've had to put 2 in my car over the past 3-4 years, and service record checks of other V's I've looked at for sale show these cars eat batteries.

todrules
01-10-13, 09:58 PM
My car would be dead after just sitting parked for 2 days. I broke down and put an Optima red top. I just started the car last week to move some stuff in the garage after sitting since Thanksgiving and it started right up. The service records on my car had the battery replaced in 09 and 11. If I remember correctly the group size 78 was a good fit. I don't feel like pulling off the covers to double check.

wake
01-10-13, 10:19 PM
My car would be dead after just sitting parked for 2 days. I broke down and put an Optima red top. I just started the car last week to move some stuff in the garage after sitting since Thanksgiving and it started right up. The service records on my car had the battery replaced in 09 and 11. If I remember correctly the group size 78 was a good fit. I don't feel like pulling off the covers to double check.

Yup, group 78 fits just fine. I had to trim the edge of my battery cover to get it to fit back in though, no biggie.

PGA2B
01-10-13, 10:55 PM
That is exactly what is in my car.

Thomas Roberts
01-11-13, 05:47 PM
Ok. Just replaced the battery. Still the same thing. Any other ideas?

PGA2B
01-11-13, 05:52 PM
Did you check all the fuses and links? Also check for loose connections to the fuse box main inputs.

carter's_sts
01-11-13, 09:23 PM
Could you explain exactly what it does again?

Is everything else working? Lights? Doors unlock automatically, can you put it into accessory mode and use the radio, etc.?

You said earlier that you caused a spark. Did you blow some fuses maybe when that happened? Sounds like you will have to do some digging. If you don't want to, you might just have to have it towed to a dealer.

Thomas Roberts
01-12-13, 04:40 PM
Could you explain exactly what it does again?

Is everything else working? Lights? Doors unlock automatically, can you put it into accessory mode and use the radio, etc.?

You said earlier that you caused a spark. Did you blow some fuses maybe when that happened? Sounds like you will have to do some digging. If you don't want to, you might just have to have it towed to a dealer.

Nothing at all works. Not the door locks,not the accessory mode nothing at all seems to have power.

Carlosg
01-12-13, 05:47 PM
Check the cable that boomys10 said that happen to my ride.

boomys10
01-12-13, 10:11 PM
if you want to make the search easy, take the fuse panel cover off and pull ANY fuse. i did thd ecm bc i thought mine was bad, but it doesnt matter which one you pull. take your volt meter and MAKE SURE IT HAS 12VOLTS going thru it. if it doesnt, the power input to the fuse box is loose and needs to be tightened. if they do have 12volts going thru them (if one does they all would) you can check the ECM fuses. there are 4 i believe in that fuse box, google STS-V ecm fuses. if the fuses are good, check the power INPUT to the ECM. if that is good, the ECM will be your issue. shouldnt take longer than 10 or 15min to figure out once you start on the path.

Thomas Roberts
01-12-13, 10:26 PM
if you want to make the search easy, take the fuse panel cover off and pull ANY fuse. i did thd ecm bc i thought mine was bad, but it doesnt matter which one you pull. take your volt meter and MAKE SURE IT HAS 12VOLTS going thru it. if it doesnt, the power input to the fuse box is loose and needs to be tightened. if they do have 12volts going thru them (if one does they all would) you can check the ECM fuses. there are 4 i believe in that fuse box, google STS-V ecm fuses. if the fuses are good, check the power INPUT to the ECM. if that is good, the ECM will be your issue. shouldnt take longer than 10 or 15min to figure out once you start on the path.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

boomys10
01-13-13, 03:12 AM
learn from my mistake, always check the easiest stuff first. the caddy is much different than other cars in that it needs damn near full voltage thru fuses to run correctly. normally cars dont run that high thru the fuse box. 3-8 would be fine. from what ive gathered, anything under 10 and your done with this car.

carter's_sts
01-27-13, 09:47 PM
Did you ever get your car started?