: Engine Left Running

bernman402
01-08-13, 02:25 PM
Are there any safety devices to warn a driver that they left the vehicle and the engine was running.
I thought I hit the on/off button and left vehicle at airport. Engine is very quite and headlights stay on for a minute.

Kaptain Spaulding
01-08-13, 02:52 PM
Sounds like it would be impossible to have this happen. However both myself and my wife have have managed it. I make sure that the drivers seat slides back for easy exit. It will not do this if the engine is running. The best safety device is the driver. Be aware.

nemosr
01-08-13, 04:12 PM
Once this almost happened to me, but the alert that brought my attention to my over sight was that when I opened the door to exit I realized the radio system remained on. Of course the radio is suppose to shut off when the drivers door opens. Good luck!

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-08-13, 06:37 PM
Both Kaptain Spaulding and nemosr make some great points, bernman402!

If you needed more information on the easy exit seats, check out p.2-6 and 4-43 of the 2010 SRX manual.

If you wanted to learn more about Retained Accessory Power nemosr is alluding to, turn to p. 8-20 of the 2010 SRX manual.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

2011_SRX
01-08-13, 11:26 PM
Are there any safety devices to warn a driver that they left the vehicle and the engine was running.
I thought I hit the on/off button and left vehicle at airport. Engine is very quite and headlights stay on for a minute.
Same happened to me. Next, I pressed the key fob twice to lock the vehicle but the horn did not sound. That was the clue to check the vehicle again because it was not secured (engine running). In my case, I ignored the fact the horn did not sound so my vehicle ran until I returned from a short errand. Now I am very aware of this issue and discovered I can press the "on/off" button lightly and the engine will remain running. It needs a firm push to stop the engine.

TheCaptain
01-09-13, 07:17 AM
Not only does the radio not turn off. You should hear a quick three ping from the DIC letting you know there is no remote present. (Unless you left the remote in the car too.)

sube5186
01-09-13, 12:47 PM
I had to laugh when I first read this thread. Seems like I'm in good company. I did this once myself back when the car was new. You have to chalk this sort of thing up to the newness of push button start. I went into a restaurant and returned about 45 minutes later. To my horror, I discovered I'd left the car running the whole time. That panicked feeling is all you need to make sure you NEVER do that again.

Sube

300:29:1
01-09-13, 02:06 PM
I had to laugh when I first read this thread. Seems like I'm in good company. I did this once myself back when the car was new. You have to chalk this sort of thing up to the newness of push button start. I went into a restaurant and returned about 45 minutes later. To my horror, I discovered I'd left the car running the whole time. That panicked feeling is all you need to make sure you NEVER do that again.

Sube

Too funny Sube!

Marc NY
01-09-13, 07:25 PM
I had that happen a couple of times where I thought I had pushed the button in properly... however when I opened the door the radio was still playing which immediately told me I had not turned off my SRX. :annoyed:

bernman402
01-09-13, 08:11 PM
Not only does the radio not turn off. You should hear a quick three ping from the DIC letting you know there is no remote present. (Unless you left the remote in the car too.)

The car does not beep when leaving with the motor running unless you leave a remote. This never happened in my 2005 STS. It is not new to me.

GGMiv
01-09-13, 08:37 PM
The car does not beep when leaving with the motor running unless you leave a remote. This never happened in my 2005 STS. It is not new to me.

My 2011 beeps if I leave the remote in the car by accident. It chimes inside if I leave the car running and step away from the car with the remote. Problem is, it's hard to hear if you shut the door. Not very useful except to warn anyone still in the car.

TheCaptain
01-10-13, 07:28 AM
Let me clarify. The horn will honk if the engine is not running and you leave the remote in the car and leave through the driver door.
If the engine is running, and you leave through the drivers door, WITH the remote, the speakers should emit a quick 'three ping' chime sound, and the DIC display will show on the screen 'No Remote Detected'. (also the radio will still be playing)

bernman402
01-13-13, 11:39 PM
Let me clarify. The horn will honk if the engine is not running and you leave the remote in the car and leave through the driver door.
If the engine is running, and you leave through the drivers door, WITH the remote, the speakers should emit a quick 'three ping' chime sound, and the DIC display will show on the screen 'No Remote Detected'. (also the radio will still be playing)

If you don't have the radio on that eliminates that. The speakers do not beep a chime and being out of the auto you cannot see the DIC display.

bernman402
01-14-13, 12:01 PM
Both Kaptain Spaulding and nemosr make some great points, bernman402!

If you needed more information on the easy exit seats, check out p.2-6 and 4-43 of the 2010 SRX manual.

If you wanted to learn more about Retained Accessory Power nemosr is alluding to, turn to p. 8-20 of the 2010 SRX manual.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

Sarah the 2012 manual does not have any of the information you addressed if you can find any data in the 2012 manual I would appreciate your help.
Thanks

TRARON
01-14-13, 05:12 PM
Had the same thing happen to me as Sube, went to lunch only to return to a running vehicle. Thought I pressed the button to shut it off... Also I disabled the seat movement on exit because it never returned to the correct position and also the mirrors which would sometime stay down. Both could not be fixed by the dealer and I got tired and frustrated by trying to get these resolved (like most electronic issues with dealers)