: Slow leak in tire

300:29:1
01-08-13, 09:00 AM
I have noticed a VERY slow leak in one of my tires. It looses about 3 psi after about a week or so. I've never heard of something like this before. I'm wondering what I should do. Don't want to spend a fortune. I have been going by the DIC and app for my readings. It's been really cold here and I haven't checked with a tire gauge. I was first made aware by the monthly email from OnStar. I usually fill the tires to 38 psi, being that they're not cold after driving to the gas station air pump. TIA

sube5186
01-08-13, 09:43 AM
If it's leaking at that slow of a rate, check the tire valve stem core. It may need tightening. Sometimes these are not fully tightened from the factory. There are two basic types of tools to accomplish this. The latter is also a valve cap.

Always check your air pressure with a "real" air pressure gauge. I prefer an analogue gauge for accuracy. The tire pressure display in the DIC should only be used as a general guide. Several variables prevent it from having pin-point accuracy. Also, no need to go to the gas station. You should have an air compressor in the floor of your cargo area. You have to disconnect the hinge on the storage bin door. Then, pull up (Velcro attached) the hinged front portion of the door. You'll see the air compressor sitting in a molded compartment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Way-Tire-Valve-Stem-Core-Remover-Installer-Tool-HEAVY-DUTY-/110998229402?hash=item19d802919a&item=110998229402&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHRADER-VALVE-CORE-REMOVER-VALVE-KEY-CAP-TUBE-TYRE-/221143710640?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts _SR&hash=item337d313bb0

Sube

01-08-13, 09:59 AM
If it's leaking at that slow of a rate, check the tire valve stem core. It may need tightening. Sometimes these are not fully tightened from the factory. There are two basic types of tools to accomplish this. The latter is also a valve cap.

Always check your air pressure with a "real" air pressure gauge. I prefer an analogue gauge for accuracy. The tire pressure display in the DIC should only be used as a general guide. Several variables prevent it from having pin-point accuracy. Also, no need to go to the gas station. You should have an air compressor in the floor of your cargo area. You have to disconnect the hinge on the storage bin door. Then, pull up (Velcro attached) the hinged front portion of the door. You'll see the air compressor sitting in a molded compartment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Way-Tire-Valve-Stem-Core-Remover-Installer-Tool-HEAVY-DUTY-/110998229402?hash=item19d802919a&item=110998229402&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHRADER-VALVE-CORE-REMOVER-VALVE-KEY-CAP-TUBE-TYRE-/221143710640?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts _SR&hash=item337d313bb0

Sube

Thanks! Is this something I could get the dealer to do on my next service visit as part of my maintenance?

adamjeeps
01-08-13, 10:22 AM
A tire shop can find the leak and patch it for only a few dollars. I would not take a chance on possibly having a blow out.

sube5186
01-08-13, 10:44 AM
Thanks! Is this something I could get the dealer to do on my next service visit as part of my maintenance?

Yes, but I wouldn't wait if I were you. Just stop at Pep Boys or some other auto parts store. A tire valve stem core wrench is a good thing to keep in the glove box anyway.

Sube

frankrizzo135
01-08-13, 11:25 AM
If it is not the valve stem leaking , I would check the seal around the rim, I have found a leak myself just my using some soapy water and a brush .

cadillac 31
01-09-13, 09:39 AM
hmmmmm me too have the same issue seems like i have to keep adding air to tires from the very first week i had it

01-09-13, 09:55 AM

Sube

The question is, can I simply tighten the valve stem core? I've been reading online and seeing that the car needs to be jacked up and the tire deflated. If that's the case, I'm not doing it myself. I'll get to the parts store to pick up the tool and see what I can do. I should mention that I don't know if this has been happening since I've had the car (7/27) or if it developed along the way. The other tires seem to be consistent. I'm at 29% oil life, so it's too soon for a service visit. Thanks for all of your feedback Sube

redvett94
01-09-13, 10:15 AM
You have bumper to bumper warranty, use it as you may have a leak in the wheel and needs to be repaired.

01-09-13, 10:31 AM
You have bumper to bumper warranty, use it as you may have a leak in the wheel and needs to be repaired.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if that was covered. I'll call my dealer. I'm going out of town with the SRX for work very soon and need to get this then care of.

----------

The dealer is saying its not covered, but I did buy wheel and tire warranty coverage. I'm bringing it in tomorrow. The oil is at 29% so they'll do that too. Now I have to dig out my wheel and tire coverage.

sube5186
01-09-13, 11:35 AM
The question is, can I simply tighten the valve stem core? I've been reading online and seeing that the car needs to be jacked up and the tire deflated.

Yes, you can simply tighten the valve stem core without jacking the car up and deflating the tire. It's a simple threaded core. If you try to turn it and it won't turn, that means it's already tightened. If it's not fully tightened, it will turn a little. The procedure you described is for "replacing" the valve stem core.

The dealer is saying its not covered.

That's a premature assessment. How can they say that without even looking at the tire? You could have a crack on the inner surface of the rim. Did you do a visual inspection of the tire's exterior surface? If not, you should do this before you take it in. Have someone else sit in the driver's seat and slowly roll the car away from you as you inspect the surface. Nails, screws, etc. are the most common cause of a slow leak and they are usually very easy to spot.

Even though they may be fixing it, whenever possible you always want to know what the problem is before they address it.

Sube

01-09-13, 12:01 PM
Yes, you can simply tighten the valve stem core without jacking the car up and deflating the tire. It's a simple threaded core. If you try to turn it and it won't turn, that means it's already tightened. If it's not fully tightened, it will turn a little. The procedure you described is for "replacing" the valve stem core.

That's a premature assessment. How can they say that without even looking at the tire? You could have a crack on the inner surface of the rim. Did you do a visual inspection of the tire's exterior surface? If not, you should do this before you take it in. Have someone else sit in the driver's seat and slowly roll the car away from you as you inspect the surface. Nails, screws, etc. are the most common cause of a slow leak and they are usually very easy to spot.

Even though they may be fixing it, whenever possible you always want to know what the problem is before they address it.

Sube

They moved my appt up to 2PM. I wont' try to assess the problem first this time. Again, I appreciate the advice and information.

sube5186
01-09-13, 12:13 PM
OK, keep us posted. You may still want to pick up that tool just to keep. You'd be surprised just how common loose valve stem cores are in bicycles, motorcycles and cars.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-09-13, 02:44 PM
I look forward to your updates, 300:29:1! If you would like any assistance working with your dealer, I'm always happy to contact them and follow up on your behalf. Email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

01-09-13, 03:16 PM
I had a nail in the tire. The tire and wheel insurance covered it. My oil life was at 28% so they went ahead and did an oil service and tire rotation. I only have 2700 miles on the car, which was purchased new in July. I have to recognize Crest Cadillac in Syracuse for fast friendly service. Dave Thompson, business manager, was very proactive and got me in today. Bob, service consultant, was also great. I will have no more air leak, a PM, and clean car in about 2 hours total. All at no charge to me. The wheel and tire warranty is good piece of mind IMO. Thanks Sube and Katie.

adamjeeps
01-09-13, 03:24 PM
Good deal. Were they able to patch it?

sube5186
01-09-13, 03:28 PM
Glad everything worked out and that it was a simple fix.

01-09-13, 03:37 PM
Yes it was patched. I would also like to thank OnStar. The monthly email was my first notice of a problem. While I try to keep up with tire pressure, I hadn't noticed a drop in 1 tire. I have noticed all around lower pressures based on outside temperatures at times. The higher tier of OnStar service gives me alot, including the app I use and love. I got 1 year free with the car. I'm thinking I'll renew when the time comes.

----------

The tire was patched. The OnStar app was my first indication of a problem. I monitor my tire pressure regularly, but hadn't seen this drop in 1 tire. I also use the app, and will likely renew the directions and connections plan when my year trial expires. Thanks OnStar.

GGMiv
01-09-13, 07:22 PM
Yes it was patched. I would also like to thank OnStar. The monthly email was my first notice of a problem. While I try to keep up with tire pressure, I hadn't noticed a drop in 1 tire. I have noticed all around lower pressures based on outside temperatures at times. The higher tier of OnStar service gives me alot, including the app I use and love. I got 1 year free with the car. I'm thinking I'll renew when the time comes.

----------

The tire was patched. The OnStar app was my first indication of a problem. I monitor my tire pressure regularly, but hadn't seen this drop in 1 tire. I also use the app, and will likely renew the directions and connections plan when my year trial expires. Thanks OnStar.

When it comes time to renew near your one year anniversary, call Onstar and tell them you want to cancel. They will usually try to keep your business by offering you a deal. The last deal I got was 6 months of Directions and Connections for the price of Safe and Sound. Couldn't get it for a year. I tried. But I'll call back in 6 months and see what they offer at that time. I'll have 6 more months on my lease then.

packardv8
01-10-13, 12:39 AM
Yes, I had picked up a nail in the right rear, but I check the TPMS readout every morning and did notice the pressure dropping in one tire. My local tire store four blocks away does free flat repairs for regular customers.

jack vines

01-10-13, 07:35 PM
So I checked the air in my tires with a gauge today. When I got to the last tire, the valve cap was missing! I called the dealer and since it was on my way, I stopped in and got a cap. A little sloppy on their part. I shouldn't have to double check these things, but probably should.