: Newbie getting car ready for track days - what do I need to do?

cmiller
01-07-13, 09:09 PM
I have an 07 with roughly 54,000 miles on it. I have had the car for 2 years. I want to learn how to really drive it this year and will be giving it a try on the track at some track days. I am looking for some advice on what I should do to the car to get it ready. I am looking for items that are primarily maintenance and low cost improvements. Only mods to the car are short shifter and muffler delete. I have new Ventus V12 tires on the car. Changed the differential fluid at roughly 48,000 miles. Have the FE4 shocks.

I am thinking that I need to change the brake fluid (what should I use?), new brake pads (what is best for street and track?). What else do I need to do? Don't want to get crazy with the upgrades until I am sure that I like the track days or that I am any good at driving. Thanks in advance for any advice.

darkman
01-07-13, 10:07 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/99215-track-preparation-master-list.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/98759-track-prep-best-practices.html

Isaacs
01-10-13, 10:11 PM
Stock is fine for your first time on the track. If you keep up with your scheduled maintenance, I'd just check your brake pads and tire thread. If you feel like doing a little upgrade/maintenance: flush the brakes with Castrol/Motul/ATE high temp fluid, throw on a set of Hawk/Carbotech pads, turn the factory rotors and get a slightly more aggressive alignment (see the faq). After some seat time you'll figure out what you want to change...sways, shocks, springs, ss lines, etc etc..

cmiller
01-21-13, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the links guys. I will be flushing the brake fluid and power steering fluid. I assume that I need to completely flush out all of the old fluid and replace with the new. How much of each fluid do I need to do this?

darkman
01-21-13, 09:57 PM
The power steering system capacity is around one-half quart, so I like to have a full quart on hand when doing a change out.

The brake system is about the same, but the amount required can vary with the method used (e.g. with or without a pressure bleeder like Motive). Although I buy brake fluid in small bottles, I like to have a quart/liter on hand when I start bleeding the system.

Mn800r
01-21-13, 10:52 PM
How about insurance?.. I plan on some track time this coming summer myself...so I called my American family rep and asked the question. He had not an answer "let me call the underwriter" he said, Yep, you guessed it,not covered...didn't think so but thought I'd give it a shot. It will have an affect though(no paint swap) on how I drive once there unfortunately. Best of luck on your track day!.

JDB
01-22-13, 07:54 AM
Brake fluid flush is a must...and to a fluid with higher boiling points. Motul RBF600/660 or ATE Type 200 or the like. Stock fluid will not hold up to the temps.

What brake pads are in the car now? If Hawk HP+ then you might get away with those or those in the rear and step up the fronts. It's an easy swap with these Brembos that I usually do that at the track, but your first time will feel busy so do it the night before and just realize that you need a little heat in track pads before they work well.

Other than that, if it'll pass tech inspection and its up on maintenance, have fun!

Great place to sign up for events: http://www.motorsportreg.com/ and you can buy insurance. Which club and which h track? I highly recommend ACNA and PCA.

Andringa
01-22-13, 10:46 AM
I'd say that stock pads are fine for your first couple of events as long as they have a decent amount of material left. That's just a guess though, as I did my first and only event on HP+ front and stock rear pads. While JDB has a lot of great advice, I get the impression that he is a bit harder on the brakes than most first timers.

A couple notes about brake fluid. Over time it absorbs water, which lowers the boiling point. Even if you put really good fluid in, you want to keep it fresh. You also don't want to use fluid that's been sitting in an open bottle. I'd say the shelf life of an unsealed bottle of brake fluid is something like 1 month. That is why Darkman mentioned that he likes to buy small bottles. It sucks having to open up a big fresh bottle of brake fluid just to top off your car and then let the rest of it go bad on the shelf.

thebigjimsho
01-22-13, 10:51 AM
^^^This.^^^

JDB
01-26-13, 07:16 PM
I'd say that stock pads are fine for your first couple of events as long as they have a decent amount of material left. That's just a guess though, as I did my first and only event on HP+ front and stock rear pads. While JDB has a lot of great advice, I get the impression that he is a bit harder on the brakes than most first timers.

A couple notes about brake fluid. Over time it absorbs water, which lowers the boiling point. Even if you put really good fluid in, you want to keep it fresh. You also don't want to use fluid that's been sitting in an open bottle. I'd say the shelf life of an unsealed bottle of brake fluid is something like 1 month. That is why Darkman mentioned that he likes to buy small bottles. It sucks having to open up a big fresh bottle of brake fluid just to top off your car and then let the rest of it go bad on the shelf.

I run DEs in the Advanced group... so, yes... I use the brakes.