: Anyone plasti dip the front grilles?

Martyn
01-07-13, 09:25 PM
Well, long story short, i had a low speed ( less than 5mph) collision with my sts-v.

Getting a few hood, bumper, upper and lower grilles...

Been debating plasti dipping my upper and lower grilles. Think it would look good with my matte black powdercoated wheels.

Anyone done it? Found any pics of it?

CRAZY how expensive the hood is! And all because the fiberglass around the latch cracked.

Hurts to see my baby down, but I want to make it better than ever in the process

scott9001
01-07-13, 10:49 PM
Personally plasti dip on the grill looks horrible in flat black

leija_01
01-07-13, 11:21 PM
i did mine like 3 months ago. looks great to me.. will post pics tomorow

06 STS Rob
01-08-13, 12:12 AM
Why not just powder coat the grill? PC doesn't cost much these days and with the front end apart, now would be the time...

originalgarage
01-08-13, 01:44 AM
i agree that powdercoat is the most durable and best looking finish, but there's something to be said for the reverability of plastidip. not to mention that there is some chrome on the car you can't powerdoat which would leave you with multiple shades/textures of matte black. I was planning on murdering mine out, initially in pc, then plastidip, but now i think i'm gonna leave it as is. if you do decide to go for it spray it on thick. that makes it easier to remove if you decisde to switch it up.

boomys10
01-08-13, 01:31 PM
i plastidipped my rims and both front grilles. i then removed it from the rims and took a towel to the front of the grill and slightly bufffed SOME of it off the grill. i think it looks much better with the new effect as compared to the solid black look personally. be careful though, the plasti dip on the rims removed the coating when the stuff was removed. so be careful with it on wheels.

1BadCadSTS
01-08-13, 07:05 PM
Well, long story short, i had a low speed ( less than 5mph) collision with my sts-v.

Getting a few hood, bumper, upper and lower grilles...

Been debating plasti dipping my upper and lower grilles. Think it would look good with my matte black powdercoated wheels.

Anyone done it? Found any pics of it?

CRAZY how expensive the hood is! And all because the fiberglass around the latch cracked.

Hurts to see my baby down, but I want to make it better than ever in the process

Where are you located. Can I have the damaged hood?

Martyn
01-08-13, 09:12 PM
I live in upstate NY (albany area, towards the MA/VT line). If you can figure out a way to get it- it yours

1BadCadSTS
01-09-13, 08:53 AM
I'd like that. Let me see about getting there. Any pics of how bad it is?

1BadCadSTS
01-09-13, 07:09 PM
When would you need it picked up by and any pictures of the damaged area.

Martyn
01-10-13, 11:06 PM
If you're the guy who I was texting with, would probably be a 8hr drive. I'll take a pic of the damage in the morning and send it to do

----------

taking my upper and lower grilles, chrome hood strip and fender vents to my powercoater this weekend

Martyn
01-17-13, 02:05 AM
Had the guy who powercoated my wheels do the grilles in the same color (tuscan black). Cant wait to get them on the car to see how they look

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/97cavy/DSC_0101_zps1e1379c7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/97cavy/DSC_0104_zpsbc5a3d01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/97cavy/DSC_0107_zps565b8d3a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/97cavy/DSC_0113_zps197c2df7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/97cavy/DSC_0120_zps12189c1a.jpg

06 STS Rob
01-17-13, 04:30 PM
Looks great man! How hard was it to get the vents off? I've been concidering blacking out all the chrome but the fender vents are my concern. You probably already know this, but be sure to use some painters tape around the painted surfaces while installing these. The grill will scratch that new paint in a heart beat while being fit into place.

Martyn
01-17-13, 08:01 PM
The word from my powdercoater was everything was EASY to do. He owed me a favor so did it for free, but thing he said it would have been a $80 or so job, so I cant imagine there was that much work

fast_lane10
01-17-13, 09:03 PM
Looks great ...post on car pics when done. I have been thinking about it and if it really cost 80 dollars I might get it it done.

originalgarage
01-19-13, 01:15 PM
do you know if they were disassembled for powdercoat then reassembled, or if everything was just masked off? the fender vents were my main concern as well.

Martyn
01-19-13, 05:56 PM
IIRC he told me they took them apart

pjeter
01-20-13, 01:44 PM
The grill will warp alittle from the baking .. It happend to me, it took 5min to take apart and 5hours to put back together..

1madstsv
01-26-13, 10:18 AM
Russel on his 08v did all his in pc from d3 and it chiped of in a fue hundred miles he put it back to stock.
Pc is hard a will chip/flake off after some road wear. I would paint our use pd that way you can touch it up.

originalgarage
01-28-13, 06:18 PM
powdercoat is one of the most durable finishes available when done properly. something went wrong somewhere along the way.