: 1968 Sedan deVilles - General Question

Longeardgaloot
01-07-13, 04:38 PM
Howdy, folks. I've been pondering something, done a little research and still can't find a solid answer, so I figured this would be the only spot to find out. Speaking from a 1968 model-year reference point: do any of y'all know just why they bothered making 2 versions of the Sedan deVille? Going by the number built shown on Automotive Mileposts, there was a huge amount of Hardtop Sedan deVilles made (72,662) and comparatively few regular "pillared" deVilles (9,850). From my view-point as a potential collector/owner, I'd much rather find a regular version. But I can't help but wonder, why 2 models at all? Why not just go full out with the hardtop version? Anybody know?
Thanks!

Bro-Ham
01-07-13, 05:59 PM
The pillared version was the traditional and less sporty style, and obviously a number of likely more conservative buyers still preferred it.

P.Katson
01-10-13, 11:15 PM
Can anyone confirm if the pillared Sedan DeVilles were quieter than the non-pillared due to the potentially better sealing of the windows?

Longeardgaloot
01-11-13, 12:36 PM
That was my next question! Now I'm obsessed with finding a pillared 1968 sedan.

DouglasJRizzo
01-13-13, 09:10 AM
The pillared version was the traditional and less sporty style, and obviously a number of likely more conservative buyers still preferred it.

Most correct. In the 60s, Cadillac was in a bit of a precarious spot. They had to maintain their traditional customer base of the time, and attract newer, younger buyers as well. If you poke thru the literature, you'll find that the pillared Sedan DeVille disappears after the 1970 model year.

CADforce69
01-14-13, 03:52 PM
The pillared sedan was also roomier, as the C pillar was wider (and trunk a little bit shorter) so rear seat was some inch further from the front seat.

Bro-Ham
01-14-13, 10:29 PM
The pillared sedan was also roomier, as the C pillar was wider (and trunk a little bit shorter) so rear seat was some inch further from the front seat.

What?!?!

77CDV
01-15-13, 03:04 AM
The pillared car was for the more conservative customer who didn't want the informality of the hard-top body style, but didn't want to pop the extra $2000 for the Fleetwood Sixty Special or Fleetwood Brougham. The pillared Sedan de Ville had a slightly higher roofline (about 1.1") and more rear leg room (1.7") vs. the hard top body. All models had sashless door glass, so interior quiet wouldn't be markedly different.

P.Katson
01-16-13, 01:17 AM
I asked that question about quietness because maybe the lack of a B pillar on the hardtop SDV would make it a bit noisier than the pillared model especially when the cars got older and its single vertical rubber seal between the front and rear door glasses got worn.