: Anyone add a dipstick for the 6L80?

beyerch
01-07-13, 03:57 PM
This whole thing about not needing a transmission dipstick is driving me nuts. Perhaps it's the part where I don't have a lift to do the semi-complicated fluid level check procedure or I simple like the ability to check my fluids periodically, I'm not sure.... I see that Lokar apparently makes 6l80 dipsticks; however, I have no idea whether we can just order one of these up and plug it into the fill hole, etc. Anyone know if there's a way to get a dipstick in this thing?

Thanks!

TimmyC
01-07-13, 08:36 PM
There is a fill hole so the lokar should work. I agree that it sucks. Adding fluid after a rebuild is a major pain.

wake
01-07-13, 10:23 PM
Did GM not put one in because there's no room to route it around the engine to the underhood area?

I thought the lack of a trans dipstick was odd.

carter's_sts
01-07-13, 11:40 PM
A lot of Chevys don't have one either. I think they just think its not an issue. Or they want to charge for a Trans rebuild when you have a leak.

beyerch
01-08-13, 04:51 AM
Besides the I'm paranoid and want to check my fluid level factor, I also looked like an idiot digging around for 5 or 10 minutes in the engine bay looking for a mythical dipstick, lol.

But since I haven't owned this car from new, how can I know the fluid is right without going to the dealer and paying them to check fluid.... Ugh.

I'll send Lokar an email and see if they have had any STS-V customers.

Thanks

parkeraire
01-09-13, 09:04 AM
I think I would add one if it was'nt too cost prohibitive.

ChurchSTSV
01-09-13, 01:00 PM
I think I would add one if it was'nt too cost prohibitive.

Same. Something about not being able to check the condition of the trans fluid irks me.

beyerch
01-10-13, 07:32 PM
I've contacted Lokar to inquire as to whether this will work with out drivetrain. I'll update you guys when I find out.

CMNTMXR57
01-23-13, 04:43 PM
It's done for a couple of reasons (and I hate checking it myself and I have a lift). So I too would like a dipstick.

1) Cost.
3) Space. There is barely enough room for our engine oil dipstick!
2) Much like most things automotive today, it's done because they believe the Dex6 fluid that the 6L80E requires, should be able to last the life of the car (provided the system is sealed properly, and it runs properly, and isn't leaking it should be fine both level and coloration).

All in all, the less they have to have the owner interface with maintenance, the better it is sometimes. You give people dipsticks and maintenance instructions on cars with it and 90% of them can't adhere to it, so... With that said, when I did mine, I did it with the fluid exchange machine and I think I just tapped into the lines. Put in the required amount into the machine of fresh Dex6, and let it do the rest...

beyerch
01-23-13, 06:21 PM
Yeah I understand... some people do more harm than good when they interact with their cars, but I'm one of the 'good' guys. :-) My primary reason for wanting this is that the car is used and I have NO IDEA what the previous owner(s) may have done to the trans in regards to maintenance or if a dealer mechanic had a bad day, etc, etc, etc. Would be nice to just be able to warm the car up, park it on a flat surface, run through the gears at operating temp and check the dipstick.... :)

I meant to update this thread, so thanks for replying... I ordered one and when it is installed, I'll document, etc.

PGA2B
01-23-13, 07:58 PM
Please keep us informed.

Zzapp
01-26-13, 02:00 AM
You give people dipsticks and maintenance instructions on cars with it and 90% of them can't adhere to it, so..

Yea XR57... Once years ago when I was a young mechanic at Goodyear. A customer brought his car in because the trans shiifted funny. The guy put engine oil in the trans.. a different customer put trans fluid in the hydrolic clutch master... some people are just dangerous with a little information.....

CMNTMXR57
02-04-13, 04:42 PM
If it makes folks feel any better, the G8 folk with this trans don't have dipsticks either. ;)