: fog light replacement

simgolfer
01-06-13, 11:20 PM
Can someone point me to links or advice on how to replace the stock foglights? I would like to convert to HID bulbs that match the color of the HID headlamps. Thanks.

Purple87SS
01-07-13, 01:07 PM
Turn away the wheel from the side you are working on (or just remove it ) and remove the 2-3 plastic push pins holding in the wheel wells. This should give you enough room to R&R the bulbs for HIDS. Someone else can prob chime in as to where to mount the ballast.

Bigron
01-07-13, 01:39 PM
I removed way more than 3 push pins when I did mine.
There is a nice "shelf" right above the fog light where I 3M taped the ballast.

Smokin80
01-07-13, 04:22 PM
What brand/site are you guys getting these from.

I assume closest to factory color would be a 35w 5000k? Or maybe 4300k?

Thanks!

ClarkkentCTSV
01-07-13, 09:29 PM
4300k is the closest to the headlight color. Unfortunately the only way to truly match the headlights is to go with a 55w ballast, but with the fog light housing being so small you run the risk of melting it from the heat of the more powerful ballast. That's why everyone goes with the 35w, but there is still a hint of blue. You would have to be very critical to notice the difference. My HID fogs match my light bars perfectly. Looks killer with just the fogs and parking lights on. I went with the DDM tuning setup. Cost $35 and has been great for the last 6 month. Don't buy into the $100 kits, they are all the same.

Smokin80
01-08-13, 01:03 AM
Right on. What bulb is in the fogs?

simgolfer
01-08-13, 04:05 PM
I think the bulbs are H11. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. Anyone with experience putting in LED bulbs?

_GVG_
02-14-13, 10:40 AM
4300k is the closest to the headlight color. Unfortunately the only way to truly match the headlights is to go with a 55w ballast, but with the fog light housing being so small you run the risk of melting it from the heat of the more powerful ballast. That's why everyone goes with the 35w, but there is still a hint of blue. You would have to be very critical to notice the difference. My HID fogs match my light bars perfectly. Looks killer with just the fogs and parking lights on. I went with the DDM tuning setup. Cost $35 and has been great for the last 6 month. Don't buy into the $100 kits, they are all the same.

ClarkkentCTSV, what bulbs did you use? Is it the H11? Thanks in advance!

thebigjimsho
02-17-13, 08:51 AM
Are you really set on HID fogs? Many of us used the non-HID Hoen H11 bulbs. Been on my '09 for 3+ years and no issues. And they match up perfectly with the headlamps...

Bigron
02-18-13, 09:35 AM
Are you really set on HID fogs? Many of us used the non-HID Hoen H11 bulbs. Been on my '09 for 3+ years and no issues. And they match up perfectly with the headlamps...

They match perfectly but do they add any additional light or visabilty? With my OEM bulbs you couldn't tell the difference between on/off.
My 55w bulbs add plently of light. I have considered switching to yellow HIDs for a different look.

thebigjimsho
02-18-13, 12:34 PM
How about switching to yellow for actual functionality?

Fog lights are yellow. Driving lights are white.

You choose.

LSUFoolsball
04-02-13, 04:30 PM
So H11 for V2 CTS-V fogs?

thebigjimsho
04-04-13, 09:40 AM
So H11 for V2 CTS-V fogs?

Yes.

genna
08-14-13, 01:02 PM
thebigjimsho:

Eh.. not really.. Fog lamps can be white or selective yellow... and most newer cars have white. It's about the characteristics of the beam. low and wide with sharp cut-off on top(prevent glare back). There are no factory "driving lights" installed on "on road" passenger vehicles. Those big lights you see on grill of rally cars or lightbars on Jeeps and such, those are driving lights

thebigjimsho
08-14-13, 02:46 PM
thebigjimsho:

Eh.. not really.. Fog lamps can be white or selective yellow... and most newer cars have white. It's about the characteristics of the beam. low and wide with sharp cut-off on top(prevent glare back). There are no factory "driving lights" installed on "on road" passenger vehicles. Those big lights you see on grill of rally cars or lightbars on Jeeps and such, those are driving lights

Let's put it this way. There are no driving lights on any passenger cars made today. And there are no fog lights on any passenger cars made today.

They are all for decoration...