: 1968 commercial chassis fuel tank interchange

trophydash
01-06-13, 04:27 PM
My wife has a '68 Miller-Meteor landau end loader that has recently been put back on the road after setting since '93After an embarrassing stall in the middle of our local dragstrip, we pulled the fuel tank out and discovered what looked like the inside of a cave!
Took it to a local radiator shop that boils out gas tanks, and even he didn't want to attempt to fix it, and she balks at the idea of buying a new one. Any ideas on what other fuel tanks would interchange?

CADforce69
01-11-13, 02:20 PM
You may check http://www.usapartssupply.com/cadillac.php They have reproductions or reconditioned ones but not for commercial chassis. Nevertheless they say "OTHER YEARS AND MODELS AVAILABLE ON AN EXCHANGE BASIS". I would call or e-mail them consulting your case.

DouglasJRizzo
01-13-13, 09:41 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but the capacities are the same as the other cars. The difference is the filler neck - other cars had it under the rear license plate, but the commercial cars - due to the custom bodies used, had the filler neck up higher - usually terminating behind a filler door on the drivers side rear quarter or just to the left of the rear load door.

trophydash
02-11-13, 01:16 PM
Not gonna' believe this, but we now have a mid 90's Honda gas tank hooked up to it and had it running Saturday afternoon.
Still have to figgure out how to hang it though....
I really tried to discourage her and her dad, but you can't tell old salvage yard people something won't fit/can't be done!

CADforce69
02-11-13, 02:35 PM
Amazing :bulging: I'm curious to see how it is attached. Can the fuel sender be installed in the Honda tank?