: Rx Catch Can "Gurgle"

Michael_atDell
01-06-13, 01:29 PM
Anybody else hear their Catch Can "Gurgle"? Also, anyone install a catch can on the fresh air side (driver's side)?

SC2150
01-06-13, 02:01 PM
If it is gurgling it may be full (any more than 1/3 full and the outlets from the coalescing chamber are in the contained trapped oil). Make sure to empty it when hot and engine off. The drain valve is open when in this position:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/RevXtreme1/valveclosedoropen002.jpg

And closed in this position:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/RevXtreme1/valveclosedoropen001.jpg

In the colder weather the can will also fill much faster due to the increased amount of water vapor in the crankcase and it will look a bit like chocolate milk.

:thumbsup:

X E Ryder
01-06-13, 02:48 PM
I can never believe the "carnage" that appears in catch cans - Gross! :)

Michael_atDell
01-06-13, 03:14 PM
Nope, nothing in it... I've never had anything drain out of it...

X E Ryder
01-06-13, 03:32 PM
Nope, nothing in it... I've never had anything drain out of it...

Have you taken a peek in the intake to see if there is any contamination / pooling oil? There should definitely be some buildup by each oil change.

How often do you make hard wide open accelerations? (I'm curious for my own application) Thx

Michael_atDell
01-06-13, 04:20 PM
Have you taken a peek in the intake to see if there is any contamination / pooling oil? There should definitely be some buildup by each oil change.

How often do you make hard wide open accelerations? (I'm curious for my own application) Thx

Yes, there is oil in the intake; after installing the catch can, I assumed it was from the fresh air side that apparently dumps oil into the air intake.

I make hard wide open accelerations very frequently... ;-)

X E Ryder
01-06-13, 05:11 PM
Yes, there is oil in the intake; after installing the catch can, I assumed it was from the fresh air side that apparently dumps oil into the air intake.

I make hard wide open accelerations very frequently... ;-)

Well dangit that oil is supposed to be in your catch can! What gives?
Whose can is it if you don't mind me asking?

Michael_atDell
01-06-13, 05:23 PM
RX Performance

SC2150
01-07-13, 05:12 PM
Something has to be hooked up wrong....can you post detailed pics of your install? Should be NO oil entering, and the can should catch the oil like all the others show.

Oil will enter through the cleanside under WOT as well, but 95% plus is from the dirty side. Lets figure yours out Michael.

To purchase the RX cans call direct: 941-721-1826 or go to: www.RevXtreme.com

jimtreber
01-07-13, 07:21 PM
Anybody else hear their Catch Can "Gurgle"? Also, anyone install a catch can on the fresh air side (driver's side)?

With the sound system off, I've been hearing a gurgle for the last week or two. I first thought it might be low on coolant and air in the system. Checked it, OK. I was about to make an appointment with the dealership to check other hydraulics like the tranny or transfer case or power steering when I decided to drain the catch can. I had planned on draining it at each oil change but I only have 4200 miles on the oil (and 3 1/2 months). I live about 80 miles east of Chicago so we're in winter weather. The picture shows the amount drained. Gurgling stopped.

SC2150
01-07-13, 07:37 PM
Yup! In the winter months drain it every 2k miles to see how much it is trapping. Every motor ingests different amounts so you have to first determine what your car is consuming.

You do NOT want that in your intake air charge no matter what submariner thinks.

jbelot
01-07-13, 08:00 PM
I have had the same results. I’m super surprised at what comes out of the can. I am going to drain it in about 20 min, after I let it warm up, I'm half way to my next oil change. When it warms up outdide again I will take the intake off to look at the results as well as a cleaning to see it I can get the residual burnt oil off my valves that was caked on prior to catch can.

jbelot
01-08-13, 11:44 AM
It has been about 5000km since I last changed my oil and drained the catch can. I drained about 1/4 cup of oil. This product seems to be doing it's job. Micheal, I think there is something wrong with your can. Maybe post pic of install or you may have a bad can.

tinman
01-08-13, 01:46 PM
with the sound system off, i've been hearing a gurgle for the last week or two. I first thought it might be low on coolant and air in the system. Checked it, ok. I was about to make an appointment with the dealership to check other hydraulics like the tranny or transfer case or power steering when i decided to drain the catch can. I had planned on draining it at each oil change but i only have 4200 miles on the oil (and 3 1/2 months). I live about 80 miles east of chicago so we're in winter weather. The picture shows the amount drained. Gurgling stopped.

wow!

Michael_atDell
01-08-13, 04:48 PM
Anyone have the install instructions in PDF?

tinman
01-09-13, 10:52 AM
I only have a couple of links to threads in this forum on "HowTo" and a collection of info in a "Word" document.

HurstGN
01-09-13, 02:41 PM
With the sound system off, I've been hearing a gurgle for the last week or two. I first thought it might be low on coolant and air in the system. Checked it, OK. I was about to make an appointment with the dealership to check other hydraulics like the tranny or transfer case or power steering when I decided to drain the catch can. I had planned on draining it at each oil change but I only have 4200 miles on the oil (and 3 1/2 months). I live about 80 miles east of Chicago so we're in winter weather. The picture shows the amount drained. Gurgling stopped.
What is that mess? Oil and water?

----------

Anyone have the install instructions in PDF?

Have a look at my post when I installed mine. This may be good enough to get you there. First, check the hoses are on the correct ports of the can. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-performance-mods/274027-another-catch-can-installation-pics.html

Michael_atDell
01-10-13, 09:19 AM
Which hose goes to which valve? I remember installing via the instructions; I just want to verify.

SC2150
01-10-13, 10:02 AM
The center of the can always attaches to the crankcase "dirty side". Generally a barb on one of the valve covers that goes stock to the intake manifold (NOT the intake air tube (CAI). Then the outer valve runs to the intake manifold for vacuum (where the stock line did run). Any on the cleanside, (the air box or intake tube) is not used except on a forced induction application.

In the winter months, the cans will also trap a ton of water vapor as well so need to be emptied at shorter intervals than in the summer.

To order, go to: www.RevXtreme.com or call direct: 941-721-1826

Michael_atDell
01-10-13, 02:36 PM
That's how it's hooked up... I've opened it up to drain again since my first post, nothing comes out...

Michael_atDell
01-12-13, 10:34 AM
Any suggestions?

tinman
01-12-13, 12:57 PM
If you have it hooked up correctly then what could it be? I can only think of something being wrong with the can itself.

Michael_atDell
01-12-13, 01:40 PM
Maybe so, I never heard it before as it was attached to the engine cover stud. Over the Christmas break I moved it and attached it to a spot on the firewall... It's probably been making the noise all along, I just could hear it before. However, it's never had anything that's drained out if it at either location...

Michael_atDell
01-14-13, 10:19 AM
SC2150, your inbox is full...

SC2150
01-14-13, 10:33 AM
The can valve will always make a slight "buzz", but this is the drain closed...threads extended:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/RevXtreme1/valveclosedoropen001.jpg

This is the drain open, threads retracted:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/RevXtreme1/valveclosedoropen002.jpg

To check if the drain is open you can try and blow through the drain tube. If the drain is stuck you can remove it with a 9/16" wrench and it will drain and if thats the case let us know so we can send a replacement.

Michael_atDell
01-14-13, 07:23 PM
The can valve will always make a slight "buzz", but this is the drain closed...threads extended:

This is the drain open, threads retracted:

To check if the drain is open you can try and blow through the drain tube. If the drain is stuck you can remove it with a 9/16" wrench and it will drain and if thats the case let us know so we can send a replacement.

That's it! I took the drain off and all kinds of crud starting running out! Yay!

So, send me your email and I'll give you my address; I've moved since you shipped me this one.

stagow
01-14-13, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I hope this is the answer to your issue. I just checked my can 3 weeks after installation and I wanted to make sure it was working. The valve really works hard (had to get a torque amplifier on it) but once open I got about a half to one cup of liquid out of it. Looked like mostly water as it was not real milky or overly oily. Good luck with getting it working well.