: Heated steering wheel

wrinkles88
01-05-13, 12:40 PM
Hello, my heated steering wheel has stopped working. Any body had this happen before or have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

ddalder
01-05-13, 12:49 PM
Lots of people. This is a well known problem and is almost always the steering wheel itself. You will need to contact your GM parts department with your VIN to see if one is still available. There have been supply problems with many, although some are still available.

wrinkles88
01-05-13, 12:54 PM
Oh wow. I don't believe I have ever seen a post on here before about it. Any idea roughly how much it may cost?

ddalder
01-05-13, 12:58 PM
US price from some of the online dealers can range from about $300 - $600 depending on which one you have. I'd count on being closer to the higher end since yours is heated. Rippy could probably also give you a good price (pending availability). You should be able to search and find several threads about these.

wrinkles88
01-05-13, 01:03 PM
Is Rippy a member or a parts dealer? (Sorry)

ddalder
01-05-13, 01:05 PM
Both. I'm just not sure exactly what his user ID is here, but I'm confident someone will chime in to help. He may also see this thread himself.

wrinkles88
01-05-13, 01:05 PM
Nevermind I have found them. Thanks

carmad8003
01-06-13, 02:39 AM
Where can I find a replacement steering wheel? My heated feature doesn't work also after replacing the fuse several times . Thanks!

EChas3
01-06-13, 03:54 PM
Chris Heath @ Rippy's Caddilac in Wilmington, NC is a great source. Good luck!

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-06-13, 06:25 PM
Wrinkles and carmad, I'm happy to see the forum members have already chimed in with great feedback! I too recommend consulting with your dealership, and please let me know if you have any lingering questions along the way. I'm just an email away at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

cdezey
01-07-13, 04:33 PM
I noticed I no longer have heat in my steering wheel, can someone tell which fuse it is and where is it.

Thanks in advance
Charles

wrinkles88
01-07-13, 05:14 PM
I noticed I no longer have heat in my steering wheel, can someone tell which fuse it is and where is it.

Thanks in advance
Charles

Ya I prefer to try this first before buying a new wheel. Anyone have any information on what fuse it is?

ddalder
01-07-13, 09:43 PM
It should be mounted on the steering column but you'll need to remove the black kick panel and the dash-coloured knee bolster to gain access. You may also need to remove a metal structure that attaches to the dash but will impede access to the column. If you do need to remove this, it will be two 10mm bolts. Once you're closer in you'll be able to tell for sure. I can't remember exactly and I'm having trouble finding the pics I took.

cdezey
01-08-13, 12:54 AM
Thanks I will give it a go.

B1n2fra
01-08-13, 09:29 AM
The fuse is on the steering column????

KRSTS
01-08-13, 11:54 AM
There is a clearly marked fuze in the left hand box under the rear seat. I believe it is 7 amp. My problem turned out to be a failed heating element in the steering wheel which was replaced under warranty.This is apparently a common issue in certain years - GM must of had a bad supplier. The wheel is about $600 new IF you can find one.

ddalder
01-08-13, 09:28 PM
There is a clearly marked fuze in the left hand box under the rear seat. I believe it is 7 amp. My problem turned out to be a failed heating element in the steering wheel which was replaced under warranty.This is apparently a common issue in certain years - GM must of had a bad supplier. The wheel is about $600 new IF you can find one.
Actually, in my manual it shows the fuse in the RH rear fuse block. I had the placement confused with another car I recently worked on.

The fuse is on the steering column????
In this case I was incorrect, however in many cars, not all fuses are in the fuse blocks. I've worked on several vehicles that have either one or two fuses located on the steering column.

carter's_sts
01-09-13, 12:35 AM
Fuses normally only blow if something is wrong and will likely blow again if that's it. But you might get lucky if you've lived a good clean life (-:

KRSTS
01-09-13, 10:06 AM
I meant the left side as you face the rear seat or of course, the right hand side of the car.

EChas3
01-09-13, 08:01 PM
S'ok DD. Perfection is not for the real world.

Thanks for all the great observations.