: Ats vs xts ??

Cyress
01-04-13, 09:04 PM
Been reading both forums for a while and trying to decide which direction I should go. I have test drove the xts 4p and know that either direction I go it will be AWD.
While reading the xts forums it seemed like it was having some teething pains but those threads have calmed down.
I really didn't here as much wrong ( outside of CUE and I messed with it several times and love it)min the ats forums.
I wanted to test drive a 6 cylinder ATS but my local dealers only have the 2.5 and I know I don't want that.
My question is did any of you drive the other car before you decided to make your final decision. Also, I'm 6'4" 245

CAPT Mike
01-05-13, 12:09 AM
The question is did you like the driver's seat in the XTS? Comfy wasn't it? The ATS seats are not the same. The ATS is smaller than the CTS as you may know. I drove both the CTS and the XTS and the XTS won. I bought the Premium XTS4. You are a big guy and only you can decide which you think you'll like better- roomy or tight fit; skin tight jeans or loose fit style. I like loose fit.

gohawks63
01-05-13, 12:39 AM
They are two different cars. Even though you want AWD, the ATS starts out as a RWD car with near 50/50 weight distribution. The XTS is a front driver. The ATS is nimble sports sedan. The XTS is more of a luxury touring sedan. The ATS is smaller. The XTS larger.

It comes down to what you want. No right or wrong choice.

Cadjiek
01-05-13, 10:28 AM
The dealer gave me an ATS as loaner while my XTS was being serviced. It was a 4 banger and I was not impressed with that. Kind of noisy and unrefined. The XTS is smoooth and quiet. The ATS was also too small. I'm only 5'8" and I banged my head getting out of the ATS. No back seat leg room either. To each his own. I'm sure the V6 was probably alot smoother and quieter though. I love my XTS.

gohawks63
01-05-13, 01:30 PM
The dealer gave me an ATS as loaner while my XTS was being serviced. It was a 4 banger and I was not impressed with that. Kind of noisy and unrefined. The XTS is smoooth and quiet. The ATS was also too small. I'm only 5'8" and I banged my head getting out of the ATS. No back seat leg room either. To each his own. I'm sure the V6 was probably alot smoother and quieter though. I love my XTS.

You probably had the 2.5 (non-turbo). That engine has no business being in a Cadillac.

Cadjiek
01-05-13, 02:37 PM
It was non turbo and you're absolutley right. It has no business being in a Cadillac. It was pretty peppy though.

CAPT Mike
01-05-13, 09:43 PM
Seriously, do you think the dealer would loan out a V series CTS or the turbo ATS unless they thought there was a good chance that you would buy it. I drove BMW's for over 10 years and gave the dealership a total exceeding $175000 for several beemers. When I brought mine in for the routine service, my loaner would be a run of the mill 3 series which was fine but not an M3 or M5 or a 6 series with the big V8. I'm not dumping on any dealer that gives you a loaner while your car is serviced; just saying don't expect the top of the line, the sporty one or the big HP model. When my XTS is serviced, I frankly don't care which model Cadillac that I receive to drive.

Cadjiek
01-05-13, 10:09 PM
I never expected the dealer to give me a top of the line model. I was just expressing my impressions of the base ATS they gave me to drive. As long as I get a vehicle to drive, Iam completely satisified. I'm sure a top of the line ATS would be more satisfying, however, it's still a small car which I don't prefer.

gohawks63
01-05-13, 10:31 PM
Seriously, do you think the dealer would loan out a V series CTS or the turbo ATS unless they thought there was a good chance that you would buy it. I drove BMW's for over 10 years and gave the dealership a total exceeding $175000 for several beemers. When I brought mine in for the routine service, my loaner would be a run of the mill 3 series which was fine but not an M3 or M5 or a 6 series with the big V8. I'm not dumping on any dealer that gives you a loaner while your car is serviced; just saying don't expect the top of the line, the sporty one or the big HP model. When my XTS is serviced, I frankly don't care which model Cadillac that I receive to drive.

Agree.

Cyress
01-06-13, 12:18 PM
I appreciate everyone's advice and opinion on this. I knew going in that the non turbo was out of the question, that was about as smart as when Cadillac tried to rebadge and cavalier.
I'm leaning more towards the XTS because of the room. I'm 46 and my days of white knuckling the steering wheel going around turns are long gone. I test drove the 2.0 and the v6 ats and for me to drive I couldn't fit anyone in the back behind me.
Now I just need to decide whether to pull the trigger now or wait and see if they do something different for 2014.
Thanks again everyone

CAPT Mike
01-06-13, 12:31 PM
I'm leaning more towards the XTS because of the room. I'm 46 and my days of white knuckling the steering wheel going around turns are long gone. I test drove the 2.0 and the v6 ats and for me to drive I couldn't fit anyone in the back behind me.

Hey "kid," er old man of 46?? I'm 66 and still enjoy "pushing" my Vette or riding my Harley. I know this is XTS forum not Dr. Phil, but don't think you're too old to have fun, comfort, and just raw power. The XTS provides the comfort and technology to whisper in your ear that you deserve it. For me the Harley and the Corvette provide the fun/power/I'm still a kid feeling.

DG2
01-06-13, 01:29 PM
Hey "kid," er old man of 46?? I'm 66 and still enjoy "pushing" my Vette or riding my Harley. I know this is XTS forum not Dr. Phil, but don't think you're too old to have fun, comfort, and just raw power. The XTS provides the comfort and technology to whisper in your ear that you deserve it. For me the Harley and the Corvette provide the fun/power/I'm still a kid feeling.

That's what it's all about !!

Cyress
01-06-13, 01:50 PM
Thanks for your help everyone

BreakThrough
01-06-13, 10:13 PM

You got it right CAPT Mike. I have the CTS-V coupe to address the other side of my personality the XTS doesn't fulfill.

thebigjimsho
01-07-13, 10:14 AM
The question is did you like the driver's seat in the XTS? Comfy wasn't it? The ATS seats are not the same. The ATS is smaller than the CTS as you may know. I drove both the CTS and the XTS and the XTS won. I bought the Premium XTS4. You are a big guy and only you can decide which you think you'll like better- roomy or tight fit; skin tight jeans or loose fit style. I like loose fit.

Please. You love mustard stained sweatpants...

----------

As for the 2.5 not belonging in a Cadillac, wrong.

Yuppies buy 2.5 Lexus ISs like crazy. Mercedes has a less powerful base engine. Same for Audi. Economics dictate the choice and will help sell ATSs.

Years ago, proper Cadillacs were big floaty dinosaurs. And proper Cadillacs died. No one bought them. Want your uplevel ATSs and XTSs and CTSs? Make sure the base models sell at volume...

CAPT Mike
01-07-13, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=thebigjimsho;3185683]Please. You love mustard stained sweatpants...[COLOR="Silver"]

Hey little jimmy - I just fell off the turnip truck. Am I supposed to be offended by your comment?:lol:

thebigjimsho
01-07-13, 04:44 PM
Only if you choose to, haha...

gohawks63
01-07-13, 05:27 PM

----------

Yuppies buy 2.5 Lexus ISs like crazy. Mercedes has a less powerful base engine. Same for Audi. Economics dictate the choice and will help sell ATSs.

Years ago, proper Cadillacs were big floaty dinosaurs. And proper Cadillacs died. No one bought them. Want your uplevel ATSs and XTSs and CTSs? Make sure the base models sell at volume...

I guess you have a point, but BMW and Mercedes have built up such a following that I bet that if they put an air cooled engine from a circa '60s VW bug, they would still sell cars. I don't think Cadillac has built up that street cred yet. People still (ignorantly) bring up the Cimarron and that was 20 years ago.

I was on the BMW forums and there was a thread there started basically questioning why BMW has questionable reliability given their sales success and their supposed engineering prowess. There were people actually defending BMW saying that BMW is always pushing the limits, and reliability is the price you may have to pay to drive an advanced vehicle.

Bullcrap.

Now my wife's daily driver is a BMW X5. I took a chance on it, very much like I have taken a chance on the CTS after having driven Acuras for 19 years. I will say that the X5 is an impressive handling vehicle, and i do enjoy driving it. In many ways it drives like a slightly taller sports sedan. In no way does it feel like an SUV (BMW fan boys call them Sports Activity Vehicles). Having said all that, if either the X5 or the CTS become service department queens, it won't take me long to dump them and go back to the Asians.

By then hopefully Acura designers may have gotten their heads out of their asses, or maybe Lexus may have put out a fun to drive sedan, which the GS may be proving out to be.

My point is that some people will buy anything with the BMW roundel or the Mercedes star on it. Even if it's a turd.

CAPT Mike
01-07-13, 06:25 PM
In addition to what gohawks63 was saying about the BMW reliability, check out the BMW Car Club of America technical Editor for the Roundel magazine. He flatly states that if you own a BMW (any model) past the four year paid maintenance warranty, it would be most wise to purchase a continuance of that warranty due to the high cost of the parts that have a tendency to fail. This coming from the tech guru for the BMW club (which is partly sponsored by BMW)! Either it's a ploy to buy new every 4 years or the "outing" of "sacred secrets."

Lifer
01-09-13, 04:27 PM
When my car is being serviced, I frankly don't care which car that I receive to drive, as long as I do get one at no charge.

Agree.

Me too.

blue_skies
01-17-13, 11:43 PM

It is the same 3.6L engine that goes into the XTS, the CTS, the SRX and the ATS. Except that in the ATS it is re-tuned in a more performance setting, with higher horsepower output.

The two cars, ATS or XTS, are not really comparable as a result. The XTS is large, luxurious, impressive to all. The ATS is small, confined, and much more driver & handling oriented.

If you drive them back to back, the choice is easy. I am surprised that the ATS still manages to feel like a Cadillac - in trim, luxury, finish - but is so much more aggressive in handling. Mind you, this is not a V version.

If you drive the ATS 3.6L, the smallness factor goes away - it kind of comes with the territory. Anything larger doesn't feel right. It certainly handles like a dream, with more pickup and go than any non-V Cadillac before.

But if you need the backseat on a regular basis, go with the XTS, no question about it!

ascii42
01-21-13, 10:02 AM

----------

The 2.5 in the IS is a V6, at least.

gohawks63
01-21-13, 07:00 PM
It is the same 3.6L engine that goes into the XTS, the CTS, the SRX and the ATS. Except that in the ATS it is re-tuned in a more performance setting, with higher horsepower output.

The two cars, ATS or XTS, are not really comparable as a result. The XTS is large, luxurious, impressive to all. The ATS is small, confined, and much more driver & handling oriented.

If you drive them back to back, the choice is easy. I am surprised that the ATS still manages to feel like a Cadillac - in trim, luxury, finish - but is so much more aggressive in handling. Mind you, this is not a V version.

If you drive the ATS 3.6L, the smallness factor goes away - it kind of comes with the territory. Anything larger doesn't feel right. It certainly handles like a dream, with more pickup and go than any non-V Cadillac before.

But if you need the backseat on a regular basis, go with the XTS, no question about it!

The 3.6L in the XTS is the LLT engine that powered the 2008-2011 CTS rated at 304hp. For the 2012+ CTS, the 3.6L was modified and received a new LFX designation. Some of the modifications included integrated heads and exhaust manifold, a composite intake manifold, revised connecting rods among other enhancements which resulted in the horsepower being bumped up to 318. I assume that the 3.6L in the ATS is also the LFX with a bit more tweaking to add another 3hp.

So technically the 3.6L in the ATS and the XTS are not the same.

ral1960
01-25-13, 12:39 AM
The 3.6L in the XTS is the LLT engine that powered the 2008-2011 CTS rated at 304hp. ...
So technically the 3.6L in the ATS and the XTS are not the same.
No, the XTS has an LFX, too. I believe the power difference comes from the different exhaust plumbing required for transverse mounting.

gohawks63
01-26-13, 01:15 AM
You are correct. I stand corrected.

CadStyle
01-28-13, 02:13 PM
Isn't the 2014 CTS going bigger? Perhaps it will give the best of both ATS and XTS worlds and be a decent compromise.

gohawks63
01-28-13, 08:54 PM
Isn't the 2014 CTS going bigger? Perhaps it will give the best of both ATS and XTS worlds and be a decent compromise.

It will be bigger.

http://wot.motortrend.com/report-2014-cadillac-cts-styling-may-be-less-edgy-more-sophisticated-260131.html#axzz2JHQK5vTv

rustybear3
01-31-13, 07:05 PM
When my car is being serviced, I frankly don't care which car that I receive to drive, as long as I do get one at no charge.

Me too.

My dealer Dave Towell always gives me a top of the line vehicle to drive.....last time it was a completely outfitted CTS Coupe.

wthomas33
01-31-13, 10:16 PM
I dropped my XTS4 off for service items today and got another XTS as my loaner at no charge of course.

ral1960
01-31-13, 11:43 PM
I had to walk the three miles home from my dealer last summer--through a foot of snow!

thebigjimsho
02-09-13, 12:21 AM
barefoot!

rustybear3
02-17-13, 12:15 PM
backwards!

Engelman
03-06-13, 06:43 PM
It is standard policy at most dealers that they don't loan out high end cars for several obvious reasons...

1) Most drivers are not capable o handling M3,M5, ZO6, ZR1, CTS-V,...etc., at speed.

2) These cars are too expensive to loan out..

3) Perspective buyers do not want an M3, ZO6, etc, with "loaner" miles on it, would you ?

4) Insurance on a "loaner" car is questionable....Most dealer insurance companies now, refuse to cover "loaner" cars, that is why 99% of them use Enterprise, or some other car rental company......

5) I know of one situation where a "good friend" of the dealers son, who was the GM of the dealership, was given a ZL1 Camaro when his ZR1 Corvette was in for service. This guy knew what he was doing and he let the ZL1 get away from him. He ended up writing out a check for about $15,000 for new front end, new wheels and tires, and incidentals. They had a hell of a time selling that car, even with a big discount, and most ZL1's come with a big mark-up.....................

Bigdogwes
03-15-13, 01:52 AM
Been reading both forums for a while and trying to decide which direction I should go. I have test drove the xts 4p and know that either direction I go it will be AWD.
While reading the xts forums it seemed like it was having some teething pains but those threads have calmed down.
I really didn't here as much wrong ( outside of CUE and I messed with it several times and love it)min the ats forums.
I wanted to test drive a 6 cylinder ATS but my local dealers only have the 2.5 and I know I don't want that.
My question is did any of you drive the other car before you decided to make your final decision. Also, I'm 6'4" 245

No...At 6' 3" and 270 I felt like a sardine in the ATS. Couldn't pay that kind of money to be cramped and stuck in rush hour traffic. It was a recipe for road rage. XTS was my only choice.

jock82
03-15-13, 08:15 AM
On looks alone, the ATS is the winner for me. As a current DTS owner and Cadillac owner since 1970, I do not care for the XTS , especially the styling. If only the ATS were a bigger car.