: Transmission fluid leaking out of top of breather tube at the track - how do I fix?

repenttokyo
01-04-13, 04:14 PM
My last track session, I realized that transmission fluid was blowing out the breather tube at the top of the transmission. Is there any way that I can prevent this from happening in the future? Note - tranny temps never got super hot, and it was a near-freezing day on the track.

Also, is there a way to add a remote fill to the transmission so I can top it off more easily?

Thanks!

repenttokyo
01-06-13, 12:39 PM
Am I the only one who has ever had this problem occur during track driving?

OneFast V
01-06-13, 02:14 PM
I have never experienced this issue. what were your tranny temps reading during the track event?

repenttokyo
01-06-13, 02:19 PM
Tranny temp was 194 degrees. The fluid was sloshing out the top of the tube and covering the underside of the car in the immediate area. I noticed it after my third session when there was a puddle under the car. Not a ton leaked out, but enough to make me cancel my fourth session of the day, and there was a good coating on the tranny itself. i am using Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.

OneFast V
01-06-13, 02:22 PM
Tranny temp was 194 degrees. The fluid was sloshing out the top of the tube and covering the underside of the car in the immediate area. I noticed it after my third session when there was a puddle under the car. Not a ton leaked out, but enough to make me cancel my fourth session of the day, and there was a good coating on the tranny itself. i am using Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.

Is it possible you were overfilled to begin with?

repenttokyo
01-06-13, 02:24 PM
I don't think so - because I had the car on a different track a few other times in the weeks leading up to this event, and there was no leakage.

Although - the track where it leaked (NHMS) has two big uphill sections, which could have caused fluid to spill if it was indeed overfilled...

darkman
01-06-13, 02:41 PM
I don't know what the vent looks like other from an exploded diagram. If the vent will accomodate a rubber/plastic tube you connect it to an overflow tank. Canton Racing, among others, has overflow tanks that might work for this.

PISNUOFF
01-06-13, 02:55 PM
Mine blows out of the breather tube on the street as well as the track. I haven't looked too much into it.

repenttokyo
01-06-13, 03:30 PM
My biggest concern would be blowing out enough to jeopardize the proper lubrication of the transmission. Should this be something I should worry about?

Thanks for the overflow tank suggestion, Darkman.

01Cummins
01-08-13, 08:11 PM
Mine was blowing out of the tube on the freeway. I dumped a little fluid out of and extended the tube up the firewall to the top of the motor. We will see what happens...

Naf
02-19-14, 10:52 PM
Remove the tube and replace it with a hose and catch can this way ur not spillin oil

crjim
06-26-14, 12:25 AM
I have a 2008 awd and just noticed it myself. During "brisk" driving it is pushing out of the breather and falling down to the exhaust. Obviously this is not good, but how bad is it?