: Heated steering wheel no workie

08stsv
01-04-13, 01:14 AM
Just I had my car for alittle over a year and I love it. No problems but this one. The other day I went to use the heated wheel and the light won't come on and the wheel won't get hot. I'm guessing since its a caddy I will have to change my wheel. And one else have this problem? If so is there a easy fix.

Fierofiend
01-04-13, 09:40 AM
Having an 08 is a 'better' position to be in than the 06-07 guys that can't get a replacement. Do a search as this is very common failure. I'm wondering if we could swap the alcantara V2 wheels in our 08/09 cars?

fast_lane10
01-05-13, 12:22 AM
I think this is where we need Katie (from Cadillac service center) to chime in.

youknooow
01-05-13, 11:17 AM
I have an 09and had my steering wheel replaced under my GMPP didn't catch it before the factory warranty expired

torched10
01-05-13, 11:26 AM
did you get the lane departure signal fixed too

wake
01-05-13, 12:22 PM
Having an 08 is a 'better' position to be in than the 06-07 guys that can't get a replacement. Do a search as this is very common failure. I'm wondering if we could swap the alcantara V2 wheels in our 08/09 cars?

Interesting. I wonder why an 08/09 wheel won't go into an 06/07. I wouldn't suspect it to be much different than the airbag, maybe the connector plugs, and extra buttons on the later wheels.

Maybe I'll have to find out one day if I lose the heated wheel in my 07.

The Raven
01-05-13, 12:44 PM
Interesting. I wonder why an 08/09 wheel won't go into an 06/07. I wouldn't suspect it to be much different than the airbag, maybe the connector plugs, and extra buttons on the later wheels.

Maybe I'll have to find out one day if I lose the heated wheel in my 07.

I tried it. I still have the 08 wheel sitting in my closet where I threw it because I was so pissed that it wouldn't work. I know how the steering wheel controls work, so I figured at worst i'd have to custom-wire the new controls and maybe use a PAC translator unit to make them work with the stock system. It never even crossed my mind as even a remote possibility that GM, the king of parts-sharing, could have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COLUMN for the 08 model year. NOTHING is the same. You can mount the 08 wheel to the 06-07 column, but that's it. There are not enough wires in the harness for the 08 steering wheel controls, the heater wires are different, the airbag wires won't work, EVEN THE FLIPPIN HORN WON'T WORK!!!!. I couldn't believe it. The only way to get an 08 wheel in an 06-07 V is to swap the entire column...and even that would be insanely difficult (I looked into that too). In the 06-09 STS-V model range, there are FIVE different steering column part numbers. WTF?! I said "screw it, i'll just buy an 08 STS-V". Which turned into "screw that, i'll just buy a CTS-V2"...which turned into "screw all that, i'm buying a vette". Thus, I will be buying a vette sometime this year.

wake
01-05-13, 01:08 PM
I tried it. I still have the 08 wheel sitting in my closet where I threw it because I was so pissed that it wouldn't work. I know how the steering wheel controls work, so I figured at worst i'd have to custom-wire the new controls and maybe use a PAC translator unit to make them work with the stock system. It never even crossed my mind as even a remote possibility that GM, the king of parts-sharing, could have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COLUMN for the 08 model year. NOTHING is the same. You can mount the 08 wheel to the 06-07 column, but that's it. There are not enough wires in the harness for the 08 steering wheel controls, the heater wires are different, the airbag wires won't work, EVEN THE FLIPPIN HORN WON'T WORK!!!!. I couldn't believe it. The only way to get an 08 wheel in an 06-07 V is to swap the entire column...and even that would be insanely difficult (I looked into that too). In the 06-09 STS-V model range, there are FIVE different steering column part numbers. WTF?! I said "screw it, i'll just buy an 08 STS-V". Which turned into "screw that, i'll just buy a CTS-V2"...which turned into "screw all that, i'm buying a vette". Thus, I will be buying a vette sometime this year.

Wow, that's surprising. No wonder GM has financial difficulties with all the inefficiency they have in place. For awhile it seemed they were saving money by using the same parts across all lines, something I wasn't fond of. I saw identical steering wheels, headlight and window control switches, etc. I wonder if it has something to do with the databus. I know GM used at least two different CAN bus specs across the GM line in later model vehicles. I miss the older Class II databus, that was easy to work with.

I wonder what kind of similar findings you'll have in a new Corvette.

08stsv
01-05-13, 01:45 PM
a buddy of mine has a 07 is there a way to fix the 07 wheel? what does everyone think about the new xts I wonder if its coming out in V.

Fierofiend
01-05-13, 05:13 PM
Raven, do you have any insight on the v2 wheel working in an 08?

The Raven
01-06-13, 01:04 PM
Raven, do you have any insight on the v2 wheel working in an 08?

What's the difference between the V2 wheel and an 08 wheel? I thought they were the same. You can actually buy the V2's "V" trim pieces and SWC's from the parts department and swap them right onto the stock 08 wheel (I helped Russell do that, in fact). That would be alot easier and cheaper than a $500+ V2 wheel.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-06-13, 03:53 PM
08stsv, I would certainly be happy to investigate further for you! Please send me an email with the last eight of your VIN, and I can begin checking my GM resources on your behalf.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Martyn
01-06-13, 10:01 PM
Any interest is selling the 08 wheel as it wont work for your application?

bobs-sts-v
02-10-13, 08:24 PM
Just got back from the auto show here in Chicago. Talked to an engineer on the floor (actually 2 of them) for a good 20 minutes. Brought up subject of limited availability of parts, specifically the steering wheel. They were shocked. Didn't think that it was optional for them to not find a new vendor. Both promised to bring it up at their next meeting. For what its worth, I did my best to convince them that this was a real issue with MANY folks on the forums. Also told them we need a replacement for the STS-V. Something bigger than a CTS-V. I was not the first to mention that. Told them my '06 was pushing 8 years this December, so I have been seriously looking at the M6 Gran Touring.

Speaking of the M6, NICE CAR. Lots of carbon fiber inside and out. Looks sweet. There is one here in Naperville, so I got dibs on the test drive tomorrow afternoon. Saleswoman said is has been on the showroom floor only a couple days, and they haven't had the guts to let anyone take it out. When I explained what I was looking for and what I already owned, she got it set up. She seemed as anxious to take it for a ride as I was. Let you know.

1madstsv
02-11-13, 12:19 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Ctsv don't have heated wheels at all. So that's out.

----------

That m6 gt is verry nice I transport cars for a living and drove one the other day. I would have that our a x5m if they were not 89-110 new. I had a v12 BMW be for the v and loved it should have just keep it. I also like the Audi a8 and love the s8 4800lbs and runs the 1/4 in 12.0@118 in a big 4door that's fast. But also 110+

Thunder Gray STS
02-12-13, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE="1madstsv"]Correct me if I'm wrong but the Ctsv don't have heated wheels at all. So that's out.

You are correct the CTS-V does not have a heated wheel. Which I really miss.

Ludacrisvp
02-12-13, 08:41 PM
I think he was saying that there needs to be a car sized physically similar to the STS V as the CTS V is too small.

bobs-sts-v
02-13-13, 11:54 AM
That is exactly what I meant (CTS is a bit too small).
As for the M6 GT she promised me a test ride in, she was sadly mistaken. All she had were M5's and a few M6 coupes and convertibles. The M6 is interesting, but I already have a 2 seater convertible, so not looking for another. Maybe later in the year.

YoungBlood_STSV
02-13-13, 03:07 PM
Well, the CTS that is premiering in New York in April is going to be about the size of our car. Obviously there will be a V version, but probably not until 2015 (seeing as how Cadillac is coping BMW to a T these days, I'm sure the V will be delayed a year, like /M cars are). So there's your direct replacement. You just have to wait 18 months.

The other option is waiting until 2016 and getting the V version of the next generation long wheel-base Cadillac. (which is all unconfirmed) This would be more like an Alpina B7 though I'm assuming.

/rich people problems

bobs-sts-v
02-14-13, 11:04 AM
Not sure I can wait 18 months to 2 years. My V's extended warranty is up this December. Not sure I want to run around without a warranty.
So I have most of the year to think about it. The VP at my dealership seems to have a pretty good pulse on what Caddy is doing, and always seems to have a bit of inside information. If I tell him I am thinking of walking to another brand, he will probably share that info. Don't want to leave, but if there is nothing on the horizon that would be worth waiting for . . .

wake
02-15-13, 11:38 AM
Not sure I can wait 18 months to 2 years. My V's extended warranty is up this December. Not sure I want to run around without a warranty.

Are folks that worried about driving an out of warranty Caddy or other car in general?

I'm a bit curious as I've have had very few extended warranties, and I only purchased them when I expected problems like on my previous Northstar Eldorados where we expect engine case half leaks. Most of my cars are all bought used, usually not factory certified, and out of warranty.

My V was bought at 79K miles two months ago, it does come with a, 'lifetime powertrain warranty' from the selling dealer as long as I get it serviced there but it wasn't a condition for me to buy a used Caddy, I don't sweat not having a warranty much. Aside from a few possible catastrophic failures which I've never experienced I've only had minor issues with my Caddys, Corvettes, and other luxury vehicles which were relatively easy to deal with and occasionally take a weekend or two a year to resolve.

I do my own repairs, so maybe that's why I'm of a different mindset. I just don't understand why so many people worry about having a warranty the whole ownership period, it seems to take the fun out of owning a particular automobile.

I also maintain a winter beater vehicle. When I bought my Aurora it had 116K miles on it and runs perfectly. While I was researching them I saw many for sale with 180K, 230K, etc miles on them. That tells me they seem to hold up pretty well and I didn't worry about anything other than replacing worn parts, mostly suspension. It's got 133K miles on it now and reliably takes me on my 100 mile a day work commute in bad weather, I don't worry a bit about it. I'd drive it cross country without a second thought.

carter's_sts
02-15-13, 12:28 PM
Doesn't make much sense financially to buy a different car for many thousands because you might have a few thousand dollar repair bill. Unless your car is really messed up overall or super high mileage, its almost always cheaper to fix your current car.

I think most people just use this statement to rationalize getting a new car......"The repair will cost more than the car is worth". Financially speaking that's a worthless statement.

bobs-sts-v
02-15-13, 03:47 PM
Eight years is a pretty good run. No major issues with the car at present, and in no real hurry to do anything. But there are a few things I would like to have that the '06 doesn't have, and since the warranty will expire at the end of the year, seems as good a time as any. Just looking to get the best deal and all the features and horses I would like. If that means waiting until next year, so be it.
While I don't expect anything catastrophic to happen, if it does and there is no warranty, there goes any chance for a decent trade-in $ or being able to resell it directly. Just being pragmatic. Car still drives and looks great, but other than TimmyC's intake, I can't see putting any more $ into it either at this point. Just wish Caddy had an equivalent or better car to upgrade to.

Bob

carter's_sts
02-16-13, 12:47 AM
Me too!

Just wish Caddy had an equivalent or better car to upgrade to.

Bob

Thunder Gray STS
02-19-13, 09:04 PM
Me too!

They do its a CTS V

GizmoQ
02-19-13, 11:38 PM
They do its a CTS V

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/drink/popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

Ludacrisvp
02-19-13, 11:43 PM
They do its a CTS V

This I do not believe.

Thunder Gray STS
02-19-13, 11:45 PM
This I do not believe.

Well you can believe what ever you want, I've owned both

Ludacrisvp
02-19-13, 11:48 PM
Well you can believe what ever you want, I've owned both

The size of the CTS is just too small for me which is why I chose STS instead.

Thunder Gray STS
02-20-13, 12:17 AM
The size of the CTS is just too small for me which is why I chose STS instead.

It's cool. The STS V is a good car, I don't understand the size thing tho, the cars are dimensionally within inches, some 10ths of inches of each other. CTS is only 5 inches shorter, front leg room, hip room, shoulder room all within 10ths. The CTS feels narrower, but it really isn't. The main difference to me is the ride quality, the CTS rides so much better than the STS did. Why Cadillac decided NOT to put MRC on the STS V has always been a mystery to me, especially for what the car listed for new. I still think one of these days when everyone is driving government mandated Aveo's both of these cars (STS V AND CTS V) will be collectors cars.

Ludacrisvp
02-20-13, 08:34 AM
Well me being 6'6" ~275 lbs the inch or so here and there is a big difference.
With the seat back where I need it means the B pillar is basically near my head, not sure where they do their measurements of cars interiors but the size difference is more notable for me.

YoungBlood_STSV
02-20-13, 12:49 PM
Here's a spreadsheet comparing the cars. I was kinda surprised myself, I didn't realize how close in size they truly are. The extra room is only seen in rear leg room and shoulder room. And we can fit a little more junk in the trunk.:highfive:

bobs-sts-v
02-20-13, 01:40 PM
The extra room is only seen in rear leg room and shoulder room.

That 2.5" of legroom is important when you have a son who is 6' 5" tall and occasionally has to ride in the back seat. He barely fits now. Take out that 2.5" and neither he nor my medically challenged mother (bad knees) would be able to ride in the car. And while I would love the coupe, just not in the cards right now. So, yeah, bigger is better in this case (at least to me).

Bob

The Raven
02-21-13, 07:24 PM
While I don't expect anything catastrophic to happen, if it does and there is no warranty, there goes any chance for a decent trade-in $ or being able to resell it directly. Just being pragmatic.

That's how I look at it too. I usually trade up every three years or so. But I feel the same way you do...if your warranty is going to be up soon, i'd be thinking the same thing you are. Yeah chances are the car will be just fine, but at this point you are starting to formulate a plan and gather up the funds you need. Nothing would piss me off more than a $2000 repair bill on a car that I planned to trade in in a couple of months. By that time I will have moved on mentally, so saying "well now i'm just going to keep it" is not an acceptable option, and i'm certainly not getting $2000 more in trade after the repair than I would have before the problem came along, so it's $2k literally thrown in the fireplace.

I'm starting to plan my trade up for next winter, so I know how you feel.

carter's_sts
02-21-13, 11:00 PM
As far as the size comparison, it doesn't really matter to me what the numbers say. I've driven the CTS as a loaner more than once and it feels very cramped to me. Also, I don't like the interior at all. I hope the new redesigned one is closer to the STS.