: P0128 - Do NOT do what I did.

Daves_05_STS
01-03-13, 06:40 PM
So I had the Check Coolant Level issue a couple months back. Kept adding distilled water. I did my online research and bought a $5 bottle of Water Pump lube and sealant. Figured I'd try that route vs a new WP.

Cheap and stewpid, I poured the mix and dissolved the fish-food looking like pellets in boiling water ...I followed instructions to a T.

Few days later it was like muddy Niagra Falls under my hood. A water pump, belts and a few $$$ later and I fixed the problem right way.

THEY LEFT THE COOLANT IN THE SYSTEM.

The local temp dropped this past week and my 05 3.6l threw a P0128 ...coolant is not getting hot enough.

The needle just can't get to where it needs to be.

Need I state how much it costs to replace the thermostat/housing on this thing?!!

Oh yeah, no more remote start Mr. CEL

EChas3
01-03-13, 07:52 PM
When I needed a water pump, I specified flush & fill with Dexcool. All smiles since.

ddalder
01-04-13, 12:38 PM
My personal belief is that stop leak type additives are always a bad idea. I've seen too many instances where they plug radiators and cause overheating resulting in far more expensive repairs.

EChas3
01-04-13, 07:57 PM
I do agree with DD but I think Stop Leak (or eq.) does have a place. There's a time in a car's life when last-ditch 'magic' cures make sense to try.

curtc
01-04-13, 08:59 PM
I do agree with DD but I think Stop Leak (or eq.) does have a place. There's a time in a car's life when last-ditch 'magic' cures make sense to try.

Maybe in a Honda :)

EChas3
01-04-13, 09:58 PM
Thanks to Stop Leak & STP, I got a year out of a Chrysler Newport that my boss gave me. The junk yard still gave me the same $30 to haul it off!

ddalder
01-04-13, 11:03 PM
Older vehicles, perhaps. We've found in some of our newer fleet vehicles that passages in the radiators are smaller. I'm believe the principle is that passing a smaller amount of fluid through the channel can result in a cooler temperature at the other end. You can still get the throughput by increasing the number of passages. Overall I'm of the understanding that the cooling process is more effective. Bad thing is smaller passages = increased propensity for occlusion. We've had to back-flush several radiators and heater cores to fix some problems.

Daves_05_STS
01-11-13, 06:57 PM
Been a week now since my last P0128 code. Going to go in for a coolant flush, get things cleaned out. Before I do, I'm contemplating an OBD scan tool. I like to diagnose. I also like to be able to remote start when it's 30 something degrees outside. So, a scan tool on the shop list. Do any of you happen to have a Bluetooth scanner? Looking at one the use with my Android. [I think I just hijacked my own thread]

ottawagta
01-12-13, 04:04 PM
Yep, tried that stop leak stuff in an old T-bird I had. Plugged the rad solid from side to side.

wake
01-15-13, 11:19 PM
My personal belief is that stop leak type additives are always a bad idea. I've seen too many instances where they plug radiators and cause overheating resulting in far more expensive repairs.

Yup, learned my lesson 20 years ago. The cheap and quick fix was an expensive and labor intensive project trying to flush that crap out of there while replacing the newly plugged up radiator.

Never again!