: Shed some light please - 2006 STS questions

caddyvirgin
01-02-13, 09:27 PM
Ive had my 06 sts for 2 months now and i could not be more in love with her. However ive found 2 minor things that really grind my gears 1. The extremly small glove box that is a pain to try to close and all i have in there are my manuals. 2. It seems that there is no light under the hood. I was just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on what or how to add a light source.

EChas3
01-02-13, 11:10 PM
My glovebox is just as small but my manual fits in the notched slots high in the glovebox. That keeps it out of the way.

I also have room for an iPod, a small flashlight, an HD radio antenna and a few Kleenex!

orange57
01-03-13, 12:34 AM
My car didn't come with the manual, so I just have a PDF copy on my computer and my phone if necessary.

As for light under the hood, most of the time I'm popping the hood in my garage or at a gas station with descent light. And in my garage I have my shop light that I use for just about everything.

curtc
01-03-13, 02:10 AM
I 2nd the complaint regarding this sorry excuse for a glove box...By far the most annoying thing about the car.

Had the same damn one in my CTS, was pissed when I realized I didn't escape it when I got the STS.

As far as the hood light is concerned, that went the way of the onboard OBDII scanner unfortunately...

See if you can find an LED flashlight small enough to fit in the glove box, lol.

Lifer
01-03-13, 04:08 PM
It seems that there is no light under the hood. I was just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on what or how to add a light source.

I have an under-hood light in my Eldorado, but does not give out enough light at night to see much. Perhaps if the engine were on fire I could see more .

And quite frankly, except for the dipstick, there is nothing to see at night under the STS' hood. If I were broken down on the highway, what could I fix under there? Not much. I could rebuild my 1968 or 1941 on the road, but there new puppies don't have the same easy way of maintenance. Gatta call a tow.

By the way, did y'all know that way back in the thirties the Cadillac Motor Car division put hand tools, along with the tire tools, in the trunk? Life was simpler then. And no under hood light. Some cars did have a trunk light - some standard, and some as an option.

caddyvirgin
01-03-13, 07:17 PM
Yea lifer thats exactly what i was trying to check in my gfs driveway...my dipstick thank god for smartphones and flashlight apps. Also anyone add any additional light source in their trunk?

Daves_05_STS
01-03-13, 07:26 PM
Yep iPhone 4s w/flashlight app. Go to an auto parts store and get a clamp style lamp you plug into the cig lighter. Mine has a coiled cord I can pretty much walk the car with ...just don't think about storing it in the glove box!

orange57
01-04-13, 12:48 AM
I read reviews of the STS prior to purchasing, and it seemed to be a common complaint that the glove box was too small. It seemed a lot of people were frustrated with it.

carter's_sts
01-04-13, 01:17 AM
The glove box is HORRIBLE. Worst thing about these nice cars. Funny thing is I have read in the XTS forum people complaining about the same thing. Guess its not a Lac priority.

Cadjiek
01-04-13, 11:34 AM
If I was looking to buy a new car and it had a huge glove box but also wind noise, road noise, and road like an Ox Cart, I would buy the one with a small glove box, quiet ride and no wind noise. The XTS fills the bill.

carter's_sts
01-04-13, 12:42 PM
I'm sure everyone agrees. I don't know anyone who would buy a car based on the glove box. It's just funny that they keep putting in crappy ones.

ddalder
01-04-13, 01:34 PM
Having had the entire dash out of my car, I understand why the glove box is so small (not that I like it either). There simply isn't any room for a larger option. There are many components and and structures that simply don't permit for anything else. I'm surprised it's as big as it is. An under hood lamp would be nice, if for no other reason than finding the dipstick tube when trying to put the dipstick back in. A flashlight is okay, but a properly positioned lamp would be nice. One less thing to pull out and put away. Years back, GM put lamps in some cars and trucks that were on a reel. There was enough cord to get to every corner of the car and then you could just wind it up back to its position under the hood. I'm in the process of installing one of these in my other car.

Ludacrisvp
01-04-13, 01:53 PM
Ddalder - I thought there was a lot of dead space above it behind the wood trim on the dash. Granted the air bag is in this area but they could have maybe done 2 glove boxes like some Pontiac cars did. But then they would have had to redesign the passenger airbag and likely would not have as high of a safety rating.
Also how does one replace the handle on the glovebox door? Mine is partially broken but functions.

Ludacrisvp
01-04-13, 01:54 PM
I enjoyed the under good light on the deville. Someone might look at retrofitting one from a salvage yard.

ddalder
01-04-13, 02:15 PM
There is space around the airbag, but because of how it deploys, there is a space requirement both physically and I suspect for the gasses. Below this area there is the HVAC system (including the blower motor) and the IPM. The airbag does use a lot of space, but I don't think there is a lot that can be done there.

I've replaced the handle on my glove box as well. The plastic fractured at the pivot point. The only way to replace this is by changing the entire handle assembly. The new ones do not come with the lock. This is transferred from your original handle. In Canada it cost me about $50 for the new handle assembly.

EChas3
01-04-13, 10:06 PM
I think there's a lot of space behind the dash. It's just not in a place where you'd want a glovebox.

carter's_sts
01-04-13, 11:45 PM
I saw back there when I put the lockpick in and you're right, not much space. Enough for me to mount the lockpick module on a metal brace between the Nav unit and the glove box though.

And I also wish there was light under the hood for finding the dip stick hole. Even though my garage is well lit, the lights aren't in the right places for me to see well under the hood. I will probably eventually install another light in my garage that will shine under the hood.

Oh well, minor issues all the way around.

chazglenn3
01-06-13, 06:20 PM
Seems to me that since it is called a glove box after all, it would have absolutely no problem holding a pair or two of gloves. :D

EChas3
01-06-13, 06:35 PM
It would hold two pairs of driving gloves, but only one pair of ski-gloves. :)

Lifer
01-08-13, 03:30 PM
[ Years back, GM put lamps in some cars and trucks that were on a reel. There was enough cord to get to every corner of the car and then you could just wind it up back to its position under the hood. I'm in the process of installing one of these in my other car.]

I believe that was a Pontiac option in the 50s. That sounds useful.

MoistCabbage
01-08-13, 07:53 PM
A neighbors early '90's Cherokee had something similar. Not sure how long the wire was though .

ddalder
01-08-13, 10:35 PM
[ Years back, GM put lamps in some cars and trucks that were on a reel. There was enough cord to get to every corner of the car and then you could just wind it up back to its position under the hood. I'm in the process of installing one of these in my other car.]

I believe that was a Pontiac option in the 50s. That sounds useful.
The one I have was taken out of an early 90's Oldsmobile. This was also fairly common in the full-size GM pick-up trucks of the late 70's/early 80's vintage if I'm not mistaken. I was able to purchase a brand new one from GM used in a pickup a couple of years ago. I don't know if they are still available.