: Halogen or HID Headlamps?

hiznhrz
01-02-13, 12:49 AM
I'm on the hunt for either a new or CPO 2012 SRX for my wife. The Luxury Collection seems to have everything I want/need. The one question I have is with the halogen versus the HID leadlamaps that only comes with the Performance Collection.

For those with halogen headlamps, how would you rate them? Are they adaquate, good, or excellent?

For those with HID headlamps, are they better headlights than anything you've ever experienced previously?

The only other thing from the Performance Collection that I'd like to have is the Nav system. The Nav, however, is a want and not a need. I'm trying to decide if the Performance Collection is worth me paying the extra cost.

Thanks.

bwclemons
01-02-13, 08:47 AM
I hated my Luxury SRX with halogens. I've added HID's to my car and also added factory fogs with HID's and now I love the way they light the road. I also have NAV with my car and so, I believe, I now have just what I want on my car.

300:29:1
01-02-13, 10:43 PM
I'm on the hunt for either a new or CPO 2012 SRX for my wife. The Luxury Collection seems to have everything I want/need. The one question I have is with the halogen versus the HID leadlamaps that only comes with the Performance Collection.

For those with halogen headlamps, how would you rate them? Are they adaquate, good, or excellent?

For those with HID headlamps, are they better headlights than anything you've ever experienced previously?

The only other thing from the Performance Collection that I'd like to have is the Nav system. The Nav, however, is a want and not a need. I'm trying to decide if the Performance Collection is worth me paying the extra cost.

Thanks.

I'm satisfied with the halogens. While I would certainly prefer HID, the halogens are fine IMO.

2011_SRX
01-02-13, 11:18 PM
I drive poorly illuminated rural roads with a deer population. I have the 2011 Base and I do not find the halogen adequate. I use the High Beam whenever there are no on-coming vehicles.

dolph55
01-03-13, 04:06 AM
I hated my Luxury SRX with halogens. I've added HID's to my car and also added factory fogs with HID's and now I love the way they light the road. I also have NAV with my car and so, I believe, I now have just what I want on my car.

Sounds great! I know how to upgrade the Lamps and fogs, but I'm curious. Did you DIY a Nav kit or was there a way to add a factory system? Or did it come with Nav from factory?

There are/were some great deals on 2012 Base model And I wanted to know how much it could be upgraded "after" purchase.

Thanks, BW.

Dolph

dryoder
01-03-13, 10:08 AM
I have 2012 luxury model with halogens. Lighting was very poor. I added fog lights, and continue to be very disappointed and frustrated with the poor illumination during night driving.

inspectorudy
01-03-13, 12:02 PM
I think that the high beam halogens are fine but the low beams are terrible. I live in a town where dead deer are visible on roads almost every day and it is almost impossible to use the high beams due to the high traffic. I converted to HIDs on my low beams and think they are a big improvement over the old halogens. As for the nav system, I am truly disappointed in it. There are so many advancements in portable navs that I find it had to believe that GM has offered such an obsolete one. I have a $100 unit in my truck that is twice the unit in my SRX. The back up camera that comes with the nav is a great asset in busy lots but a lousy presentation due to either a poor quality camera or screen or maybe both. I know that GM has figured out that as the word spreads about the poor lighting they will sell more performance models. But the irony is that if they offered any of these items as stand alone options they would sell even more. I just do not get it. Why sell a luxury car and offer a base model that has less amenities on it than a comparably priced Chevy!

300:29:1
01-03-13, 01:06 PM
I think that the high beam halogens are fine but the low beams are terrible. I live in a town where dead deer are visible on roads almost every day and it is almost impossible to use the high beams due to the high traffic. I converted to HIDs on my low beams and think they are a big improvement over the old halogens. As for the nav system, I am truly disappointed in it. There are so many advancements in portable navs that I find it had to believe that GM has offered such an obsolete one. I have a $100 unit in my truck that is twice the unit in my SRX. The back up camera that comes with the nav is a great asset in busy lots but a lousy presentation due to either a poor quality camera or screen or maybe both. I know that GM has figured out that as the word spreads about the poor lighting they will sell more performance models. But the irony is that if they offered any of these items as stand alone options they would sell even more. I just do not get it. Why sell a luxury car and offer a base model that has less amenities on it than a comparably priced Chevy!

Yes indeed. Make those HID's an available standalone option! It used to be the foreign cars were known for more bundling, and domestics gave you more flexibility in both ordering or finding. I couldn't afford, nor did I need, many of the additional options above the luxury level. For that I will be unhappy with the lack of HID's in an otherwise luxurious and comfortable SRX. I'm sure GM would reap financial benefit, as well as having satisfied customers with the unbundling of the option for HID. There are certainly buyers who want the ease of options being bundled, and they're not concerned with price. There are others who would like to pick and choose the options that best suit both their needs and budget. Yes it's a Cadillac, but people still have spending limits in some cases. At the very least, the HID's could be an available dealer installed option, like the fogs. I got those as an afterthought, and they do help some. Beyond that, I won't bother with aftermarket workarounds that conflict with the DRL's and could interfere with the stock configuration. Not to mention that aftermarket HID lights have a questionable useful life, and may not be properly aimed. They also do not pivot to follow the road, as do OEM lights.

phunter1
01-03-13, 07:07 PM
I chose to install aftermarket headlight bulbs, rather than aftermarket HID's. In my case, Phillip Crystal Vision Ultras. They improved the light output quite a bit. Not as good as HID's, but better than the stock Phillips bulbs. The low beams can be accessed without removing the front bumper cover, but replacing the high beams requires you to remove it. I was removing the front bumper cover to install the factory trans cooler, so i did the high beams as well.

Phil

toggan
01-05-13, 04:00 AM
I have HID headlights and I think that the low beams are fine but the high beams are terrible

bwclemons
01-05-13, 09:15 AM
My nav is a factory unit. I don't believe installing a factory nav unit aftermarket would be possible without a professional.

hiznhrz
01-06-13, 08:42 AM
Just picked up my new 2012 SRX so now I can contribute to my own poll. We got the Performance Collection with the HID headlamps. I think the SUV is amazing and the HIDs are terrific!

cadillac 31
01-06-13, 12:34 PM
I chose to install aftermarket headlight bulbs, rather than aftermarket HID's. In my case, Phillip Crystal Vision Ultras. They improved the light output quite a bit. Not as good as HID's, but better than the stock Phillips bulbs. The low beams can be accessed without removing the front bumper cover, but replacing the high beams requires you to remove it. I was removing the front bumper cover to install the factory trans cooler, so i did the high beams as well.

Phil

Would you mind doing a video to help some of us who are challenged its so funny most cars on youtube a video can be found on you tube.. Not the srx though lol

----------

I hated my Luxury SRX with halogens. I've added HID's to my car and also added factory fogs with HID's and now I love the way they light the road. I also have NAV with my car and so, I believe, I now have just what I want on my car. did you lose drls once you added hids ... Dont wanna lose drls but im thinking about getting hids...