: Northstar engine service record histories

Submariner409
12-31-12, 09:26 AM
Katie,

Within GM/Cadillac there should be a database of Northstar engine dealership warranty head gasket replacement work by model and year. Can you check into the availability of that reported data and post the breakdown ??

The information would be of great interest to the 1992 - 2005 FWD drivers.

Thanks, Sub409

dkozloski
12-31-12, 01:23 PM
Sub, we asked for that data a dozen times from the old Guru that was a Northstar engineer that used to frequent the forum and he swore and bedamned there was no such data base.

Submariner409
12-31-12, 01:45 PM
My take is that GM/Cadillac/front office/bean counters/service records have the data if only for warranty tax deduction purposes. CCC in and of itself will have no idea but they should, by all that's holy, have a ticket to the front office. If they don't, then CCC is merely used as a PR effort in an attempt to smooth ruffled feathers.

dkozloski
12-31-12, 02:29 PM
Back in the day, car owners were getting one story about warranty/failure problems from the dealer/service/zone side of GM and another from the engineering side by engineers that frequented the forum. It was pretty obvious that the dealer/service/zone folks were blowing a lot of smoke in CYA mode. It finally came to a head with the engineers getting a big smackdown and they haven't been seen since. From what I've seen of our current CCC nothing has changed.

Ranger
01-01-13, 09:08 PM
You can bet that GM has the numbers. You can also bet that there is no way in hell they are ever going to release them.

dkozloski
01-01-13, 10:55 PM
Ranger, that was my feeling exactly at the time.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-03-13, 03:53 PM
Katie,
Within GM/Cadillac there should be a database of Northstar engine dealership warranty head gasket replacement work by model and year. Can you check into the availability of that reported data and post the breakdown ??
The information would be of great interest to the 1992 - 2005 FWD drivers.
Thanks, Sub409

Thanks for your patience, Sub409! This thread was just brought to my attention yesterday, after being out of the office briefly for the holidays.

I double checked to be sure, and unfortunately I don't have access to that type of data for you. I apologize if that inconveniences anyone! As a Customer Service representative, it's against our current policy to discuss and distribute prepared service history of vehicles with a non-owner. For the service history of a specific vehicle, however, we do recommend checking in with your dealership to see what information they can provide.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Submariner409
01-06-13, 03:10 PM
I am a Cadillac owner. The VIN for my car is 1G6KY54992U228889. What is my GM database engine service history ? I give you permission in open public forum to disclose the history.

...........and, FYI, 99.999% of Cadillac owners in here who try to go to a GM dealership to obtain a VIS printout get the cold shoulder. Yes, the VIS has changed to another acronym - but it appears the data is still there for cars back to pre-2002, at least.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-07-13, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry, Submariner, but I'm not allowed to provide that information. I can definitely understand your frustration, though, and I can document your feedback regarding VIS printouts. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

RippyPartsDept
01-07-13, 04:45 PM
i think the information he's trying to get at is the aggregate statistics not specific vehicles

if one were to have corporate access to the warranty system there is probably a way to query the DB by labor operation code
(specifically the labor op code for the head gasket job)

but if I had to wager, I'd be siding with Ranger... that aggregate data will never see the light of day

Sub, as I'm thinking about this it occurs to me that the aggregate data of how many HG warranty repairs GM did back in the day might not really be that helpful but just an interesting data point since most HG repairs are probably not done under warranty

did you have another reason for being interested in this?

dkozloski
01-07-13, 05:15 PM
If the data is in almost any database in almost any form it can be mined by the right guy.

Submariner409
01-07-13, 06:50 PM
did you have another reason for being interested in this?

............ none other than to dispel the predominant wives' tale that "Northstars all suffer from head gasket problems".