: Noisy Fuel Injectors

neverlateSTS
12-31-12, 06:05 AM
is there any way to silence these things? I have never heard injectors clack like the ones on my 2007 northstar. Sounds like a diesel.I have 60k miles on it. Do you think fuel injection cleaning service would help?

1BadCadSTS
12-31-12, 08:56 AM
Do you drive with your hood open and your engone cover off? Why does it matter. The car has Vvt and it makes all sorts of noises due to it. Ain't broke don't fix it.

curtc
12-31-12, 12:33 PM
OP, have you checked the oil level? What octane gas do you use? Owners manual states that if you hear a slight knock to try a higher octane fuel, 91+.

Could also try a fuel system cleaner such as Chevron Techron.

Submariner409
12-31-12, 12:37 PM
Yep ^^^, and for more on what Chevron TECHRON is and does, Google "top tier gasoline" and "chevron techron". It's a powerful fuel system cleaner - don't use a 20 oz. bottle any more than once in 5,000 miles. AutoBarn occasionally has a good deal on a 6-bottle case.

curtc
12-31-12, 02:07 PM
Advance Auto has BOGO deals on Techron frequently as well.

I use one bottle after each oil change, generally every 6-8k.

neverlateSTS
12-31-12, 09:32 PM
OP, have you checked the oil level? What octane gas do you use? Owners manual states that if you hear a slight knock to try a higher octane fuel, 91+.

Could also try a fuel system cleaner such as Chevron Techron.

The oil level is fine and i check it often no excess usage there, i was using 89 octane but switched back to 91. I scheduled a fuel system cleaning at my local GM dealer on Wed. they hook it up and iv the stuff into the fuel rails while monitoring the electronic injector pulses. I had this done on my other car and it made a difference.At 80 dollars it seems like a good investment.

----------

Do you drive with your hood open and your engone cover off? Why does it matter. The car has Vvt and it makes all sorts of noises due to it. Ain't broke don't fix it.

I only have this car 9 months and after driving a Corvette the last 7 years i am not quite used to all the different sounds this vvt and northstar make. i am not sorry i switched as this is one very nice platform. You seem to have experience in the vvt system anything you might add knowlege wise? Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!! Hope it all goes well for you and your families.

1BadCadSTS
12-31-12, 10:03 PM
I have a cammed ls1 with full vt work up. It's not as noisy at idle as the n* Vvt. The Vvt makes numerous noises that many members have complained about thinking they had motor issues. As long as its only top end noise and no bottom end rod knock noises your fine. The motors are pretty bulletproof. Common issues are the can actuators leaking oil fouling out the cam sensors. Loose intake manifold bolts. Powe steering pumps and water pumps.

chazglenn3
01-01-13, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I have had the water pump replaced on my car. I wonder about the water pumps on the 1SG cars since there is two of them...are they both problematic or just the main one?

EChas3
01-01-13, 01:07 PM
^^^ Dittos!

neverlateSTS
01-03-13, 10:21 PM
I have a cammed ls1 with full vt work up. It's not as noisy at idle as the n* Vvt. The Vvt makes numerous noises that many members have complained about thinking they had motor issues. As long as its only top end noise and no bottom end rod knock noises your fine. The motors are pretty bulletproof. Common issues are the can actuators leaking oil fouling out the cam sensors. Loose intake manifold bolts. Powe steering pumps and water pumps.

Just an update I had the fuelinjection and the throttle body intake serviced today and it was pretty dirty. Everything was ok after the cleaning and did quiet down the injector clack.The dealer listened to the engine and you are correct in the VVT making some strange noises at times. They said all was normal and that it was fine. Thanks for the advice.