: Superchager for 2006 STS V8

AimStraight2013
12-30-12, 11:42 PM
I'm brand new to this, I also just got my self a 2006 STS V8 VVT North Star. I love this car

I'm looking to put a supercharger on to my 2006 STS, dose anyone know how to do this? Also who can do it? I'm located in London Ont

Submariner409
12-31-12, 10:54 AM
Wrong forum. Moved to Sigma body STS.

1BadCadSTS
12-31-12, 10:56 AM
Yup. It's called the v upgrade. Sell it and buy a 4.4 sc STS-v

eatyoursandwich
12-31-12, 11:02 AM

orange57
12-31-12, 11:49 AM
Your going to find very few upgrades for the 4.6 Northstar. With 320hp the engine has plenty of pep already. If you need more, it would be cheaper to purchase an STS-V that has the 4.4L supercharged Northstar.

curtc
12-31-12, 12:29 PM
Yup. It's called the v upgrade. Sell it and buy a 4.4 sc STS-v

:yeah: no supercharger available as a bolt on for the 4.6...Could shell out some serious cash to have one custom done...but like above, would probably be more cost effective to sell it and just buy an STS-V

Ludacrisvp
12-31-12, 01:50 PM
I think that the SC from the 4.4L V would probably technically bolt-on to the 4.6L but not sure how well it would work if it would work.

AimStraight2013
12-31-12, 01:56 PM
I think I'm keeping this and doing a supercharger or a turbo. I want to do it no mater what.

curtc
12-31-12, 02:08 PM
I think I'm keeping this and doing a supercharger or a turbo. I want to do it no mater what.

Spare no expense!! :)

----------

I think that the SC from the 4.4L V would probably technically bolt-on to the 4.6L but not sure how well it would work if it would work.

PCM nightmare too I'm sure.

Ludacrisvp
12-31-12, 02:25 PM
Please do it if you can, I would like to see someone do some type of power add to the non-V since it might open the door for other people that might not want a V for some reasons.
I've seen people claim they are going to do it but it never happens, they 'just never got around to it' or something like that.

I would like to see a turbo/SC on the AWD N*, honestly there is no reason that they couldn't have offered the STS-V in AWD.

AimStraight2013
12-31-12, 03:12 PM
I know, it's so nice to have. I just need leads to how to get a supercharger or a turbo on my car. But I need helping where to go and who to talk to.

orange57
12-31-12, 03:43 PM
I believe the block is the same for the 4.4L and the 4.6L, the 4.4 was just de-bored to increase cylinder wall thickness to handle the added pressure. You may want to talk to these guys as well: http://www.chrfab.com/

They have a small forum on there. Mostly directed towards the older generation Northstar's, but they claimed to have a new system that will interface with the new gen for ECM tuning purposes. Personally I would like to swap a manual transmission into the car. Even though these autos are pretty good and sporty transmissions, I just prefer to row my own gears :)

Ludacrisvp
12-31-12, 06:34 PM
This thread seems to hint someone may have added a charger from the 4.4 to the 4.6 but the thread is basically dead.

Mentions an eaton 122 and a laminova intercooler being used. Nor sure if that helps at all.

http://chrfab.topic-board.com/t271-help-for-46l-eaton-122-from-44l-with-original-intake-and-laminova-intercooler

EChas3
12-31-12, 09:05 PM
I'd think nitrous would be more feasible route to boost power. Obviously, the OP is not particularly concerned about blowing up an expensive engine.

I can think of one reason not to trade for a V... no Adaptive Cruise Control.

curtc
12-31-12, 09:16 PM

Lol, I would miss that...but, an extra 149 ponies might have a way of persuading me to forget about it.

1BadCadSTS
12-31-12, 09:24 PM
I'd think nitrous would be more feasible route to boost power. Obviously, the OP is not particularly concerned about blowing up an expensive engine.

Dad has it on his 07 (before you could option for HUD without acc). Other than the HUD I hate it. Stupid thing beeps all the time when I make a fast turn by a barrier or swing by to pass a car. Stupid thing thinks I'm going to impact something.

EChas3
12-31-12, 10:00 PM
Dad has it on his 07 (before you could option for HUD without acc). Other than the HUD I hate it. Stupid thing beeps all the time when I make a fast turn by a barrier or swing by to pass a car. Stupid thing thinks I'm going to impact something.

My Collision Alarm is occasionally too sensitive. There's one bridge that can sometimes set it off. Once in a while, I get too close to a car making a turn. Other than that, I love it. I can use the cruise in moderate to heavy traffic and just enjoy thje ride.

Opinions vary!

chazglenn3
01-01-13, 10:33 AM
I also really enjoy the adaptive cruise control, but would be willing to sacrifice it in exchange for a STS-V as long as it was an '08 or newer because I HAVE to keep the HUD...it's that good.

EChas3
01-01-13, 01:13 PM
The best part of the HUD is the Nav integraton. I rarely use the Nav audio.

curtc
01-01-13, 02:26 PM
The best part of the HUD is the Nav integraton. I rarely use the Nav audio.

Same, love that HUD, one of my favorite features of the car.

dl72
01-01-13, 04:33 PM
I have HUD in my C6. I like it. I don't understand why the 06-07 V doesn't have it. You would think it would being the performance model.

1BadCadSTS
01-01-13, 05:00 PM
Because HUD was only with acc those years and acc was never available on the v for obvious reasons. Also IMHO all STS were ment to be drivers cars. Letting the car drive itself takes away all the fun.

scott9001
01-01-13, 05:23 PM
I'm starting to look into hip tuners you think It would work into the sts if there was a supercharger added

1BadCadSTS
01-01-13, 05:35 PM
Hptuners offers NOTHING for 05-06 rwd lh2 n*. Only madtuner.

dl72
01-01-13, 11:56 PM
Because HUD was only with acc those years and acc was never available on the v for obvious reasons. Also IMHO all STS were ment to be drivers cars. Letting the car drive itself takes away all the fun.

Yes, I understand that you had to have ACC with HUD. What I am saying is that it makes no sense.

AimStraight2013
01-02-13, 01:11 AM
Well at the end of the day, my STS will be tuned up with a supercharger or turbo.

dl72
01-02-13, 12:27 PM
Well at the end of the day, my STS will be tuned up with a supercharger or turbo.

Let us know how it turns out.

chazglenn3
01-02-13, 04:14 PM

You can turn off the cruise control on the end of the turn signal stalk and that also turns off the radar and the forward collision warning.

1BadCadSTS
01-02-13, 07:44 PM
Really. Damn ill try that!

EChas3
01-02-13, 11:00 PM
This does work but I'd like the cruise control to offer a conventional setting (or fail-over). Not everyone likes/trusts ACC as much as I do.

curtc
01-02-13, 11:06 PM
I would also like the option to use the cruise conventionally, not always a fan of the ACC's "all or nothing" approach.

I do love my ACC though.

orange57
01-03-13, 12:30 AM

Keep us posted on how this goes. i will be really interested in seeing the end result. Both power, reliability and driveability.

curtc
01-03-13, 02:11 AM
Keep us posted on how this goes. i will be really interested in seeing the end result. Both power, reliability and driveability.

And cost....

06 STS Rob
01-03-13, 02:31 AM
I have seen so many twin turbo and super charged N* in the sand rail world that I imagine you can get it to work, it may turn out to be hard to fit under the hood though. The N* was big for a few years and I've seen 500hp normally aspirated and guys claiming 1000hp out of twin turbos...
Most of the big boys have moved to the LS now but you may be able to find a good engine builder if you look into the offroad world. It's all just a matter of money right...

dkozloski
01-03-13, 03:21 AM
You might luck out and find cams heads and stuff for the 4.0 Olds Aurora Indy engine.

curtc
01-03-13, 08:41 AM
I have seen so many twin turbo and super charged N* in the sand rail world that I imagine you can get it to work, it may turn out to be hard to fit under the hood though. The N* was big for a few years and I've seen 500hp normally aspirated and guys claiming 1000hp out of twin turbos...
Most of the big boys have moved to the LS now but you may be able to find a good engine builder if you look into the offroad world. It's all just a matter of money right...

Th issue is the computer systems, not the engine itself. Those sand rails don't have the PCM, TCM, etc. to worry about and play nice with, that's the hard part.

neverlateSTS
01-04-13, 12:33 PM
If it is that important to you look for a V model. I did some research on this awhile ago and one company had started to go into a supercharger but abandoned the idea due to complexity and cost. I am looking at a V now and if i go for it will pass my sts4 on to the wife.Drove the cts-v today also and if i can live with the smaller foot print could be a possibility there also. Good luck but i would not mess with the 4.6 just not enough market to support it properly.

Ludacrisvp
01-04-13, 01:48 PM
Can't get AWD V nor ACC with V and HUD with V is only on certain years. MRC is not available on some V ... Can't remember if it's the STS V or the CTS V that doesn't get MRC as an option.
So motor and ecu swap?

1BadCadSTS
01-04-13, 02:43 PM
Mrc on CTS v2 only. Not on STSv. I believe was on xlrv but non adjustable.

HUD is 08+ optional on V

jsiddall
01-10-13, 11:29 AM
Keep in mind the 4.4 had >50% different parts from the 4.6, and GM considered it an entirely new engine. Bolting a SC onto a stock 4.6 (if that is even possible) will certainly end in tears.

Not saying you couldn't custom build a 4.6 N* into something that would handle 500 HP but rather that, as others have already said, you would be way better off just buying an STS-V.

Ludacrisvp
01-10-13, 11:40 AM
Not knowing where the OP is located there is a 2007? Black STS-V for just over $20k at Miller Chevrolet in Rogers, MN.

1BadCadSTS
01-10-13, 01:28 PM
It'll bolt up. Timmy used an n/a n* intake took off his sc for his turbo build.

Ludacrisvp
01-24-13, 10:54 PM
Ever get any further on this one?

1BadCadSTS
01-26-13, 08:56 AM
Doubtful. Need a 4.4 full accessory drive and the s/c to make it work. Not to mention a mad tuner tune which would be very hard to produce a baseline for without having the car at their facility to dyno.