: Serious about STS purchase but have questions

CaddySTS17
12-29-12, 09:59 PM
Hi, I have been looking at a 2006 Cadillac STS I'm very serious about purchasing this car have seen detailed pics and the price is right in my range, going to look at the car on Monday. I have Car faxed the VIN so I am aware of its history but still feel comfortable making the purchase since it has not been in any accidents and the mileage isn't too bad either working with about 78k.

My question is I know car fax only shows so much is there a way anyone could run a VIN # for me to find out the exact options and or packages installed in the car. It is advertised as an AWD model but car fax does not show this. Just wanted to verify it is definitely AWD as well, my insurance company says it is but just wanted to double check. Thank you any help is greatly appreciated.

1BadCadSTS
12-29-12, 10:07 PM
Compnine.com

CaddySTS17
12-29-12, 10:19 PM
Thanks! That worked was able to verify it does have AWD. Just curious whats included in the 1SA and 1SZ package?

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-29-12, 11:16 PM
CaddySTS17,
If you wanted to send us the last 8 digits of the VIN, we can get you the build sheet. :)
Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

EChas3
12-29-12, 11:41 PM
1SA is a base V6. 1SZ is a marketing program. If you haven't already test driven several STS models of different trim levels, I urgw you to do so before buying. These cars vary a lot between trim levels and options. Retrofitting desired options can prove difficult/spendy/impractible.

I highly recommend an inspection by a trusted mechanic if you're not buying a warranteed car from a Cadillac dealer.

Enjoy the ride!

CaddySTS17
12-29-12, 11:50 PM
CaddySTS17,
If you wanted to send us the last 8 digits of the VIN, we can get you the build sheet. :)
Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

Thank you very much! The last 8 digits of the VIN are 60210090

----------

1SA is a base V6. 1SZ is a marketing program. If you haven't already test driven several STS models of different trim levels, I urgw you to do so before buying. These cars vary a lot between trim levels and options. Retrofitting desired options can prove difficult/spendy/impractible.

I highly recommend an inspection by a trusted mechanic if you're not buying a warranteed car from a Cadillac dealer.

Enjoy the ride!

Thank you so much for the explanation. Your advice is very much appreciated!

Loren
12-30-12, 03:12 PM
Here are some of the codes but keep in mind any vehicle may or may not have every piece of equipment shown or may have more optional equipment.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/197257-those-1sa-1sb-1sc-1sd-1sf.html

curtc
12-30-12, 03:44 PM
Yeah, my STS is a 1SF car but does not have the HomeLink garage door opener option. The place where it should be is a blank section of plastic.

CaddySTS17
12-30-12, 11:20 PM
Here are some of the codes but keep in mind any vehicle may or may not have every piece of equipment shown or may have more optional equipment.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/197257-those-1sa-1sb-1sc-1sd-1sf.html

Thanks! That helps. Just curious if anyone knows why I have 2 different exterior colors listed under this VIN number. Here's an example :

EXTERIOR COLOR,GRASS GREEN (41U)
EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY (41U)
EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY,BLACK (41U)

From the looks of the picture the car is black, just wondering why grass green is showing up in there?

chazglenn3
12-31-12, 10:59 AM
The RPO codes are valid for more than one make. 41U is black for the Cadillac and might be green for Chevy or GMC or something.

Lifer
01-02-13, 05:03 PM
Cust Svc's mailbox is full. Cannot receive any new messages.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-02-13, 05:29 PM
Thank you very much! The last 8 digits of the VIN are xxxxxx[COLOR="Silver"]

Please see below for your build sheet information, CaddySTS! And thank you very much for your patience. If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

192 - EBONY
1SA - 1SA STANDARD PACKAGE
41U - BLACK RAVEN
7DB - SUSPENSION
9HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
AY0 - INFLATABLE RESTRAINT DRI & PASS
DD7 - AUTO DIMMING ISRVM W/COMPASS
DR2 - O/S REARVIEW PWR, HEATED MIRRS
GU5 - AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
JE5 - 4-WHL PERFORMANCE DISC BRAKES WITH ABS
KG4 - 150 AMP GENERATOR
MX5 - ALL WHEEL DRIVE W/MICHELIN S-RATED P235/50R17 TIRES (REPLACES STANDARD TIRES) (REQUIRES PERFORMANCE BRAKES)
N88 - 17" ALUMINUM WHEELS
NP5 - LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL
QKP - P235/50R17 MICHELIN S-RATED
R8K - *******************************
SLM - STOCK ORDERS
U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.
UA6 - THEFT-DETERRENT ALARM SYSTEM
UX8 - 8 SPEAKERS DELUXE
VZ3 - LABEL, MERCURY DISPOSAL
19I - EBONY INTERIOR TRIM
1SZ - PREFERRED EQUIPMENT SAVINGS
6DB - SUSPENSION
8HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
AQ9 - SEAT FRT BKT, LUXURY
CJ2 - HVAC FRT. AUTO TEMP/AUX TEMP
DL5 - DECAL - ROADSIDE SERVICE INFO
FE1 - INDEPEN SUSP W/AUTO REAR LEVEL
IL2 - TRIM INTERIOR DESIGN
JJA - PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY INSTALLED
LY7 - 3.6L V6 VVT ENGINE 255 HP
MX7 - MERCH. TRANS
NE1 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS
NU1 - EMISSION - CALIFORNIA
R6P - PREMIUM PAINT
R9N - LEATHER
T84 - HEADLAMPS RH RULE OF THE ROAD
U30 - INSTRUMENT CLUSTER,TACH,CLOCK
UE1 - ONSTAR SYSTEM INCLUDES 1 YR DIRECTIONS & CONNECTIONS
V73 - VEHICLE STATEMENT USA/CANADA
YQ1 - 8 SPEAKER BOSE SYSTEM WITH CD

Cust Svc's mailbox is full. Cannot receive any new messages.

Did some early spring cleaning and the mailbox isn't full anymore. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Lifer!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

CaddySTS17
01-05-13, 08:25 PM
Please see below for your build sheet information, CaddySTS! And thank you very much for your patience. If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

192 - EBONY
1SA - 1SA STANDARD PACKAGE
41U - BLACK RAVEN
7DB - SUSPENSION
9HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
AY0 - INFLATABLE RESTRAINT DRI & PASS
DD7 - AUTO DIMMING ISRVM W/COMPASS
DR2 - O/S REARVIEW PWR, HEATED MIRRS
GU5 - AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
JE5 - 4-WHL PERFORMANCE DISC BRAKES WITH ABS
KG4 - 150 AMP GENERATOR
MX5 - ALL WHEEL DRIVE W/MICHELIN S-RATED P235/50R17 TIRES (REPLACES STANDARD TIRES) (REQUIRES PERFORMANCE BRAKES)
N88 - 17" ALUMINUM WHEELS
NP5 - LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL
QKP - P235/50R17 MICHELIN S-RATED
R8K - *******************************
SLM - STOCK ORDERS
U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.
UA6 - THEFT-DETERRENT ALARM SYSTEM
UX8 - 8 SPEAKERS DELUXE
VZ3 - LABEL, MERCURY DISPOSAL
19I - EBONY INTERIOR TRIM
1SZ - PREFERRED EQUIPMENT SAVINGS
6DB - SUSPENSION
8HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
AQ9 - SEAT FRT BKT, LUXURY
CJ2 - HVAC FRT. AUTO TEMP/AUX TEMP
DL5 - DECAL - ROADSIDE SERVICE INFO
FE1 - INDEPEN SUSP W/AUTO REAR LEVEL
IL2 - TRIM INTERIOR DESIGN
JJA - PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY INSTALLED
LY7 - 3.6L V6 VVT ENGINE 255 HP
MX7 - MERCH. TRANS
NE1 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS
NU1 - EMISSION - CALIFORNIA
R6P - PREMIUM PAINT
R9N - LEATHER
T84 - HEADLAMPS RH RULE OF THE ROAD
U30 - INSTRUMENT CLUSTER,TACH,CLOCK
UE1 - ONSTAR SYSTEM INCLUDES 1 YR DIRECTIONS & CONNECTIONS
V73 - VEHICLE STATEMENT USA/CANADA
YQ1 - 8 SPEAKER BOSE SYSTEM WITH CD

Did some early spring cleaning and the mailbox isn't full anymore. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Lifer!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Thank you Katie appreciate your help! I ended up purchasing this car took it for a test drive and loved it got it for a great price, was looking at the v8 northstar but settled for the v6. The v8 awd models for sale by me were about 5-6k more with more miles so it was a no brainier for me, plus I don't need another v8 I have a supercharged mustang when I feel the need for speed haha. Was looking for luxury and that's just what I got with this car, couldn't be happier to join the Cadillac community! Also thank you to everyone else for their replies and help!

EChas3
01-05-13, 10:09 PM
Too bad about the S-rated tires = low speed limitation.

Enjoy the ride!

CaddySTS17
01-05-13, 10:41 PM
Too bad about the S-rated tires = low speed limitation.

Enjoy the ride!

I know! I actually was going to get a new set of tires not much tread left on these and I need a set for winter/snow driving. Any suggestions on a good set of winter tires? I got a friend who owns a tire shop so he said to just let him know what I want and he would see if he as them and if not he would order them.

EChas3
01-06-13, 12:19 AM
You don't say where you live. IMHO, the best snow tires are Blizzaks. For a quiet, compliant all-season tire the Continental DWS is my choice and a lot of members also think highly of it.

Tires can be a very personal choice. You can really tune your car's suspension to your liking, but there are always compromises. What are your priorities? Handling vs. ride; traction vs. quiet; Tire Rack's site does a good job helping buyers to focus on their preferences and identify an appropriate tire.

CaddySTS17
01-06-13, 12:44 AM
I live in NY about a half hour north of NYC snow and ice are the main issues here in the winter. I have heard good things about Blizzaks so I will have to check those out and also check out Tire Rack's site like you mentioned above. I'm pretty much looking for the safest and most reliable tire on snow/ice since I have had some really bad experiences driving in the winter. Sure it didn't help that all the cars I have owned before this were rwd. With that being said I would say my priorities would be handling and traction.

1BadCadSTS
01-06-13, 10:18 AM
Not awd best run a good set of winters. Also a 1sa with je5 heavy duty brakes. What an odd ball...

Lifer
01-06-13, 11:29 AM
[The v8 awd models for sale by me were about 5-6k more with more miles]

From what I learned in Logic Class - the higher mileage means the car was driven more because the owner(s) liked the car and the ole N*star engine could deliver. The high price just goes to show the added value of the V-8, and its rarity in comparison with the V-6.

CaddySTS17
01-06-13, 02:20 PM
[The v8 awd models for sale by me were about 5-6k more with more miles]

From what I learned in Logic Class - the higher mileage means the car was driven more because the owner(s) liked the car and the ole N*star engine could deliver. The high price just goes to show the added value of the V-8, and its rarity in comparison with the V-6.

I hear ya, I'm in the process of trying to start my career so I set a budget for myself I refused to go over. I also wanted a luxury car with semi-low mileage compared to 120k+ miles because I need to rely on it to get me back and forth to academy training especially in bad weather. Sure there are plenty of North stars that run fine without any problems at high mileage but me not knowing if it was beat on and how it was maintained is what worries me plus like I said I had a strict budget I set for myself. Either way I'm more than happy with the purchase of this car so glad I decided to go with Cadillac, its my first and it sure wont be my last!

----------

Not awd best run a good set of winters. Also a 1sa with je5 heavy duty brakes. What an odd ball...

Sorry, I didn't specify too clearly in my post this car is awd, all my previous vehicles were rwd that's why I've had some really bad experiences driving in the winter.

1BadCadSTS
01-06-13, 05:15 PM
I ran through the build sheet GM posted. I didn't see awd on it?

EChas3
01-06-13, 05:25 PM
The market has changed a lot since 2008 when we bought ours. My wife's was a 1-year-old rental and cost about half sticker with less than 10k miles. Mine was a 36-mo lease return and cost a third the original MSRP with less than 40k. Back then, the engine, trim level & options had less affect on price than mileage.

Today the local paper has a 2008 AWD with 43k for $20,500. It's probably a 5-year-old V6 and not eligible for CPO because the seller is not a Cadillac dealer. Are the V-8's really worth that much more now?

We are happy and not planning to trade but it's nice to know they aren't depreciating any faster than they are.

CaddySTS17
01-06-13, 06:05 PM
I ran through the build sheet GM posted. I didn't see awd on it?

Yea its kind of hidden in there I didn't see it at first either: MX5 - ALL WHEEL DRIVE W/MICHELIN S-RATED P235/50R17 TIRES (REPLACES STANDARD TIRES) (REQUIRES PERFORMANCE BRAKES)

----------

The market has changed a lot since 2008 when we bought ours. My wife's was a 1-year-old rental and cost about half sticker with less than 10k miles. Mine was a 36-mo lease return and cost a third the original MSRP with less than 40k. Back then, the engine, trim level & options had less affect on price than mileage.

Today the local paper has a 2008 AWD with 43k for $20,500. It's probably a 5-year-old V6 and not eligible for CPO because the seller is not a Cadillac dealer. Are the V-8's really worth that much more now?

We are happy and not planning to trade but it's nice to know they aren't depreciating any faster than they are.

Yea it's crazy it seems at least here in New York that the V-8's are holding their value. A V-8 with about 25k or more miles then my V-6 with is worth on average about 3800-6000k more depending on the condition and features obviously. I've looked at so many STS's that were for sale in my area and I came to the conclusion that the V-8's just seem to be worth much more probably since they are a lot more rare then the V-6 models and whats even more rare around here is a V-8 with awd I saw a lot more V-8's with rwd but only 2 or 3 with awd.

EChas3
01-06-13, 06:29 PM
I think there is a stronger than expected market for V8 powered used cars because a lot of us still prefer them. If the economy ever really turns around, I predict manufacturers will find a growing market for limited-edition V8's at even higher prices than today. Keeping the numbers low will minimize the effect on CAFE limits and if the market supports high prices, the higher costs of lower volume production runs will be irrelevant.

Lifer
01-07-13, 04:53 PM
Here the production number for the STS
2005 v8=18,087 V6=21,719
2006 V8= 8,348 V6=23,885
2007 V8= 4,094
2011 No V-8
Last STS 5/4/2011

STS -V 4.2 Supercharged Northstar
2006 1,306 55 were exported
2007 642 65 were exported
2008 459 32 exported
2009 96 4 were exported

curtc
01-07-13, 08:53 PM
2006 V8= 8,348

Damn, no wonder the V8's are hard to find, dropped like a rock in 06.

EChas3
01-07-13, 09:40 PM
I'm most interested in the number of 2008 & 2009 1SG's.

turnne
01-09-13, 09:01 AM

Mileage still has a larger effect on value than options....

find a loaded V8 with 100K and a V6 with 60K( of the same year) and that 15K greater( sticker) in options that the V8 has will be overtaken by the V6's lower mileage

Plus there are other things at play...like the laser cruise etc..that just brings a very small percentage of what it originally cost

As far as resale..while the value of these cars is higher now than it was in 2008-2009. Its is relative...everything is higher. So as a percentage(vs the competition) these cars are still not strong performers relative to a Lexus etc

If you really want to see what strong resale looks like in a luxury car...look at a Lexus that was about the same sticker of the STS and check its current value

I remember when I was looking...I drove an Acura RL, Infiniti M and Lexus GS...the STS was thousands below all of them
That is the reason I bought it.... at the time I was doing a major kitchen remodel and had to split $$ between a car and a new kitchen

Warren

carter's_sts
01-09-13, 10:48 AM
I read an article a few years back that said that at the time Cadillac was surprised that the V6s were way out selling the V8s. That's why there was such a drop in production of the V8s in 2006.

So even though some of us love V8s, most people don't (or they just hated the gas guzzler tax at the time).

And I read recently that all used car prices have been up lately because of demand.

EChas3
01-09-13, 08:50 PM
I'd be more interested in what Premium Luxury cars are undervalued right now. I suppose that's a thread for the Community Lounge! :)

turnne
01-10-13, 04:47 PM
I'd be more interested in what Premium Luxury cars are undervalued right now. I suppose that's a thread for the Community Lounge! :)

the same ones that were "undervalued" 10 years ago..nothing has changed

the cars that were strong resale performers still are...the ones that were not still are not

Prices are all relative
Yes the prices are higher than they were in 2008...but that is across the board and bottom line the percentage of difference hasn't changed

Cars that were less then cost more now...cars that were more expensive then are more expensive now

When you undervalued....depending on when you bought it
An STS can be a relatively cheap car..unless its eats you up in repairs..or a very expensive one if you bought it new( or nearly) and traded it in 5 years later with say 75K miles

so when you say undervalued

do you mean what premium luxury car will actually cost you less money to own?

Cost of ownership and cost to acquire can vary widely

Warren

----------

I read an article a few years back that said that at the time Cadillac was surprised that the V6s were way out selling the V8s. That's why there was such a drop in production of the V8s in 2006.

So even though some of us love V8s, most people don't (or they just hated the gas guzzler tax at the time).

And I read recently that all used car prices have been up lately because of demand.

which probably means that something about the v8 vs V6 created a difference in the lease residual

since most of these were leased...and values seem more option dependent than engine dependent

ie...a loaded V6 of the same year and mileage is worth more than a base V8...though they were about the same sticker

Most people didnt think they needed the V8..or they preferred to put their money in options vs engine...

lot of variables there since the STS was a large lease seller

The other factor there was the CTS...with a v6...held its residual a lot better than the STS

Warren

bbjorklund99
01-10-13, 11:11 PM
CaddySTS17,

I also purchased a 06 V6. I know some on this site are down on the V6 but I love my car. The V6 has adequate power and decent gas mileage. I had to put a Torque converter in mine at about 60k miles but for what I payed for mine I still felt good about the car. It shifts and drives flawlessly. I had a couple other minor issues but overall I have been very happy with the car. I have put on 25k since I purchased it. The torque converter is the only costly repair to the car. I knew going into the car that there were some issues with the torque convertors on the 06. I think you will love the car. Mine uses a little oil but nothing that worries me. It takes a quart every 2,000-3,000 miles but I check my oil often and the engine runs like a clock.

Enjoy,

Brad

CaddySTS17
01-13-13, 11:10 PM
CaddySTS17,

I also purchased a 06 V6. I know some on this site are down on the V6 but I love my car. The V6 has adequate power and decent gas mileage. I had to put a Torque converter in mine at about 60k miles but for what I payed for mine I still felt good about the car. It shifts and drives flawlessly. I had a couple other minor issues but overall I have been very happy with the car. I have put on 25k since I purchased it. The torque converter is the only costly repair to the car. I knew going into the car that there were some issues with the torque convertors on the 06. I think you will love the car. Mine uses a little oil but nothing that worries me. It takes a quart every 2,000-3,000 miles but I check my oil often and the engine runs like a clock.

Enjoy,

Brad

Brad, Thanks for the info! I'm definitely enjoying the car getting decent gas mileage here as well. Just took the caddy down to the city a few nights ago for the first time and it had more then enough power to get around some of those terrible city drivers haha. Had to throw it in sports mode once to get around an 18 wheeler that cut me off I was surprised at the pull it had was my first time really getting on the throttle. All in all I love this car, I will keep an eye on the oil appreciate the advice and info. Thanks!