: battery replacement

B1n2fra
12-29-12, 09:11 PM
Is there a special procedure for replacing the battery in this car. I've read several threads about people having problems with the security system after replacing the battery. And why does the electrical system put so much of a drain on the battery when the engine isn't running?

EChas3
12-29-12, 10:25 PM
Nearly all the car's systems have power to them at all times. Approaching the car with a fob activates security, Bluetooth & Nav systems, maybe more. You can prevent any alarms by plugging a power source (power saver, jump pack, etc.) before replacing the battery.

I think the alarm won't sound if a door is left open. At worst, you might lose the express windows settings.

I put Optima 78's in our STS's.

dannyquest
12-29-12, 11:03 PM
I went to walmart and bought one that would fit in the space with more amps. Danny

ddalder
12-29-12, 11:49 PM
I've disconnected my battery numerous times with no problems. Sometimes the alarm will start sounding as soon as you reconnect, but pressing the unlock on the key fob silences it immediately (or at least in my case it did).

Even if the car is not running, it has up to about 28 different computer modules (depending on which options you have) that are always connected to the battery (even when the car is parked and apparently completely off). The modules will go into different sleep states, but always draw some power. This is just how the new cars are. Everything is computer controlled and for the systems to work as engineered, they can never be completely off. Over time, batteries in these cars are worked a little harder than some other vehicles and the result is a shorter life.

Aurora5000
12-30-12, 11:22 AM
To get your express back, raise windows up and hold for 5 seconds.

Pjazz
12-30-12, 05:52 PM
I know on some cars if you leave the battery disconnected for a long time it will go into theft mode and you won't be able to use the radio. That would be the only thing to worry about. The time it takes to replace the battery shouldn't be an issue.

ddalder
12-30-12, 06:02 PM
I know on some cars if you leave the battery disconnected for a long time it will go into theft mode and you won't be able to use the radio. That would be the only thing to worry about.
I've never heard of this in these cars. I've had a navigation radio sitting on the shelf for months that originally came out of my car and recently re-installed it for a test. No problems at all. As for the vehicle, the VIN is stored in an Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) and therefore won't be subject to loss due to the absence of the battery. If this did occur, there is a bigger problem elsewhere. The TheftLock function compares the VIN received over the vehicle data bus with what was previously stored in the radio at power-up. If there is a mismatch, TheftLock disables the radio until it is reinstalled in the matching vehicle or reprogrammed for the new vehicle.

cadman007
01-02-13, 04:43 PM
Does the optima 78 fit?

EChas3
01-02-13, 10:41 PM
There's an Optima 78 with side posts only. It's close but it does fit.

wake
01-05-13, 01:54 PM
There's an Optima 78 with side posts only. It's close but it does fit.

I had to trim the battery cover a little bit to get it to fit after putting in an Optima group 78.

Also, when you disconnect the battery you can avoid the horn going off by pulling the 15A fuse. I do that so I don't get blasted.

ddalder
01-05-13, 02:01 PM
Also, when you disconnect the battery you can avoid the horn going off by pulling the 15A fuse. I do that so I don't get blasted.
Yup, or the horn relay. Sometimes it's a little easier to grab hold of. Either works.

EChas3
01-05-13, 03:41 PM
I think leaving a door ajar will prevent the alarm. When I changed mine, I used a jump pack plugged in the lighter.

I've debated customizing a Optima 78 battery hold-down clamp. The OEM one does hold the battery in place but the one that comes with the battery is designed to be centered around the middle cell of the battery.

Ludacrisvp
01-06-13, 01:26 AM
Just make sure the alarm on the car isn't armed at it won't go off. Or keep your fob handy to unlock the car ASAP after reattaching.

orange57
01-06-13, 05:29 PM
I disconnected the negative on the battery today. Upon reconnecting it did trigger the alarm to start honking. Very loud when you are in a garage close to the back wall when you do it :) "Thanks, OOPS! I crapped my pants!" ha ha