: 2000 Catera Glove Box Latch

Stwoodworth
12-29-12, 06:14 PM
Has anyone figured out how to open a glove box with a broken latch without having to replace the whole shooting match?

I see a couple round metal fixtures on the door when I pry the cover down slightly. They are about an inch in from either side of the inside of the box.

If you can open the box and take some pictures of the latching mechanism top and bottom, and post in a reply, it would be much appreciated.

I also notice a round 1/4" rod running left to right inside and just below where the handle/latch fell out. Maybe it can be twisted or pushed left or right.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

kaustein
12-30-12, 08:43 PM
When mine broke, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Got rid of the car then!

ThatCoolDude
01-07-13, 07:38 PM
On my 2000 the latch came broken, If you stick your finger in the hole and push down it should open. Did the latch handle actually break off or is the handle still attached but it won't open now?

Stwoodworth
01-08-13, 12:09 PM
Entire handle/lock is completely missing. I can feel the rod oriented horizontally just below the opening where the latch should be. There is also a loose piece of plastic that I can't uite get my fingers on.

Stwoodworth
01-19-13, 04:58 PM
I got the box open. I see that the latch loops above will need to be moved to the replacement assembly.

Does anyone know how to access the two top screws for the glove box? It looks like they are about 1" above the bottom of the airbag assembly.

The glove box latch appears to be a fairly common problem. I am trying to document it, as I go.

Any help is appreciated.