: 2003 cadillac escalade randomly shuts off...help!

yours4evrmore
12-28-12, 03:18 PM
ok so i have had this SUV for almost a year and never had problem, but couple of weeks ago it shut off after i acceralted in reverse. I turned it right back on and it ran fine till a couple days later when it did the same thing. It goes for a couple days without doing anything and the yesterday it died when I was driving about 30 moph. any tips here??? I dont want to take it into the shop to have someone mess it up even worse...anyone had this happen to them?
Also, i have a five disc changer and a single cd player in the navigation/radio screen...the radio sounds like there is a cd stuck in it though we havent put one in. this had happened since we bought it and im wondering if someone had a cd stuck but I have no idea how to get it out. Please help me! I am getting frustrated with all the little noises and random dying...Thanks for your help!

the cadillac man
12-28-12, 04:50 PM
ok so i have had this SUV for almost a year and never had problem, but couple of weeks ago it shut off after i acceralted in reverse. I turned it right back on and it ran fine till a couple days later when it did the same thing. It goes for a couple days without doing anything and the yesterday it died when I was driving about 30 moph. any tips here??? I dont want to take it into the shop to have someone mess it up even worse...anyone had this happen to them?
Also, i have a five disc changer and a single cd player in the navigation/radio screen...the radio sounds like there is a cd stuck in it though we havent put one in. this had happened since we bought it and im wondering if someone had a cd stuck but I have no idea how to get it out. Please help me! I am getting frustrated with all the little noises and random dying...Thanks for your help!

The dyeing sounds like the PCM or fuel pump is failing(what does the gauges do when this happens??)
Are you getting any messages in the information screen below the speedometer (eg reduced engine power, engine hot or engine overheat)
Also what is the engine rpm before it dies that may help some

The radio may have the maps disc in it have you tried pushing the eject button in the upper right corner of the radio(try loading the navigation to see if it is the map disc in the radio first as those are not cheap)

FYI the nav radio has a cooling fan in it which you will hear after a bit of use(I know I hear mine kick on at different times usually when it kicks on it don't shut off until the key is off and a door is opened

yours4evrmore
12-28-12, 07:03 PM
Thats the weird thing...the gauages don't flash a single thing and nothing comes up on the screen below the speedometer. The check engine light has never come on and it only does it very randomly. its very cold where i live but ithas been this cold for months and it just started doing it. As for the radio i have pushed the eject many times believe me! Whenever i put the navigation but a "cd error" message pops up...would that mean its the navigation disk?

sprink60
12-28-12, 09:07 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess at your "shut off" issue and say Fuel Filter. When was the last time it was changed?

That may be your issue.

the cadillac man
12-29-12, 02:16 AM
Thats the weird thing...the gauages don't flash a single thing and nothing comes up on the screen below the speedometer. The check engine light has never come on and it only does it very randomly. its very cold where i live but ithas been this cold for months and it just started doing it. As for the radio i have pushed the eject many times believe me! Whenever i put the navigation but a "cd error" message pops up...would that mean its the navigation disk?

I guess I wasn't clear on the gauges does the tach vary or hold steady before the engine dies (if the info screen is dead then something isn't right as it should show the odometer)

The radio may have to sent to a repair shop

Jophusp
12-31-12, 04:11 PM
As far as the engine dying, I had something similar happen in my 2003 Trailblazer. More frequently when there was less fuel in the tank. and changing the in line fuel filter did not help. It turned out to be the filter attached to the bottom of the fuel pump. Someone put ( sugar, flour ) in my gas tank. didnt hurt anything but my wallet, $1300.00 to change pump, and get tank cleaned out, and change lines to fuel filter. Hope your problem is much simpler.

LittleNo
12-31-12, 04:39 PM
An 03 should have the electronic throttle body. When they start to fail they have exactly your symptoms, with a check engine light and stored DTCs though.

The right way to diagnose this, would look like this: 1. Scan for any codes from the PCM (if present, use the procedure for those DTCs) 2. check fuel pressure (must have 40-50 psi) 3. with the scan tool, observe the misfire data, if you find mild misfires at a specific cylinder, that could be a hint for a bad ignition coil.

From your post I assume you don't have the right tools (OBD Scanner, Fuel Pressure Tester), but my explanation may help you to put the guys at the shop in the right direction.

yours4evrmore
12-31-12, 07:07 PM
I change the fuel filter every other oil change which I do very faithfully every 3000 or very close. As for right before it shuts off, the tach holds steady as far as I've noticed but it definetly doesn't go crazy. The info screen didn't have anything on it because I had it cleared but what I meant by that is that no new messages popped up. Thanks so much for your help on this, I will check this out and hopefully all will be well!

----------

An 03 should have the electronic throttle body. When they start to fail they have exactly your symptoms, with a check engine light and stored DTCs though.

The right way to diagnose this, would look like this: 1. Scan for any codes from the PCM (if present, use the procedure for those DTCs) 2. check fuel pressure (must have 40-50 psi) 3. with the scan tool, observe the misfire data, if you find mild misfires at a specific cylinder, that could be a hint for a bad ignition coil.

From your post I assume you don't have the right tools (OBD Scanner, Fuel Pressure Tester), but my explanation may help you to put the guys at the shop in the right direction.

You're right, I do not have the equipment but I do know someone who may have at least some of the equipment so I will contact them and see if they can hoook up to it and check it out. If the check engine light hasn't been turned on, will the codes even be saved?

----------

As far as the engine dying, I had something similar happen in my 2003 Trailblazer. More frequently when there was less fuel in the tank. and changing the in line fuel filter did not help. It turned out to be the filter attached to the bottom of the fuel pump. Someone put ( sugar, flour ) in my gas tank. didnt hurt anything but my wallet, $1300.00 to change pump, and get tank cleaned out, and change lines to fuel filter. Hope your problem is much simpler.

Is there a way to check that filter below the fuel pump without tearing the entire car apart? Dramatic I know but I only know so much about undre the hood

----------

Well while I have all of you on here, I have one more question...It has started squealing when started and continues to squeal the entire running. It almost sounds like a belt but has anyone else had this issue?

the cadillac man
12-31-12, 07:25 PM
I change the fuel filter every other oil change which I do very faithfully every 3000 or very close. As for right before it shuts off, the tach holds steady as far as I've noticed but it definetly doesn't go crazy. The info screen didn't have anything on it because I had it cleared but what I meant by that is that no new messages popped up. Thanks so much for your help on this, I will check this out and hopefully all will be well!

----------

You're right, I do not have the equipment but I do know someone who may have at least some of the equipment so I will contact them and see if they can hoook up to it and check it out. If the check engine light hasn't been turned on, will the codes even be saved?

----------

Is there a way to check that filter below the fuel pump without tearing the entire car apart? Dramatic I know but I only know so much about undre the hood

----------

Well while I have all of you on here, I have one more question...It has started squealing when started and continues to squeal the entire running. It almost sounds like a belt but has anyone else had this issue?

When was the last time the throttle body was cleaned? If its dirty it can cause issues with idle not sure if it can kill the engine while driving unless let off the pedal(eg stopping at a red light) since the gauges don't go crazy or you don't get any messages I don't think it's a PCM issue the 03 and up has electric throttle body (you can't really tell the difference) so get a can of throttle body cleaner and clean it really good.

The only fuel filter I know of is in the tank with the fuel pump which means the tank would have to be dropped

The belt will have to be replaced(there is two) since it is squealing (I had to do both due to age) I suggest replacing the tensioners at the same time(I had to as one had worn bearings)

yours4evrmore
01-02-13, 07:07 PM
When was the last time the throttle body was cleaned? If its dirty it can cause issues with idle not sure if it can kill the engine while driving unless let off the pedal(eg stopping at a red light) since the gauges don't go crazy or you don't get any messages I don't think it's a PCM issue the 03 and up has electric throttle body (you can't really tell the difference) so get a can of throttle body cleaner and clean it really good.

The only fuel filter I know of is in the tank with the fuel pump which means the tank would have to be dropped

The belt will have to be replaced(there is two) since it is squealing (I had to do both due to age) I suggest replacing the tensioners at the same time(I had to as one had worn bearings)

Thanks so much for the input!! You have been very helpful and have put my worst fears to rest. Thanks for taking the time to reply and help a girl out!

the cadillac man
01-02-13, 07:16 PM
Thanks so much for the input!! You have been very helpful and have put my worst fears to rest. Thanks for taking the time to reply and help a girl out!

Glad to help