: 2012 SRX Chrome Grille/Overlay Recommendations

KeithParks00
12-28-12, 01:23 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for chrome overlay kits? I had asked my wife to purchase me a kit I found on E-Bay and the same kit was also on Amazon. Given I use Amazon often, I told her to just buy the kit there. When I received the first set, the parts were broken upon receipt. They sent replacement parts out, and the new parts have shoddy looking chrome in a couple places that I can see even before removing the plastic wrap, and there are spots that appear to be where the overlay parts were broken off of a mold that don't have the chrome coating... these spots wouldn't be of particular concern if they were on the bottom side of the overlay part; however, they are on the top side were you can plainly see it! It's also a concern that these unfinished spots will lead to peeling of the chrome since the coating already has a bit of a "lip" at each of these spots (4 to be exact - 2 on each side of the grill overlays) A link to the product I purchased is below. For $200+ on plastic overlays, I expected more.

http://www.amazon.com/CADILLAC-2010-2012-CHROME-GRILLE-GRILL/dp/B009LA33EA/ref=pd_ybh_7

Does anyone know of any other options that are out there? I like the look of the stock grille, but I really liked the look with the chrome overlays - particularly the center wreath overlay. Any alternatives of possibly better quality would be greatly appreciated.

ladypro
12-28-12, 05:34 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/243796-chrome-grill-upper-lower.html

KeithParks00
12-29-12, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the link ladypro. I'm not sure if I just had terribly bad luck with the Chrome plated ABS that I got, as the pics in that thread don't seem to show the same blemishes that were on my parts when I received them.

101707 101708 101709

phunter1
12-29-12, 01:00 PM
I bought my grill overlay on Ebay last July. It was made of polished stainless steel, not chromed plastic. I am very happy with them.

Phil

KeithParks00
12-29-12, 01:04 PM
I bought my grill overlay on Ebay last July. It was made of polished stainless steel, not chromed plastic. I am very happy with them.

Phil

Would you be able to tell me who you bought it from possibly? I would definitely be interested in a polished stainless set given my experience with the chromed plastic.

phunter1
12-30-12, 12:41 PM
Hi,

Yes the vendor was Domestic Parts. It is the three piece kit, so it included the circle around the emblem, and the two cross bars. It did not clip on but is held on by 3m tape. I did a quick search at Ebay, and could only find the chrome ABS ones, but you might find it with a more thorough search, or possibly contact domestic parts directly.

Phil

KeithParks00
12-30-12, 10:32 PM
Thanks Phil. I'll try contacting that seller directly as it seems that they still sell the plastic overlay kits. Maybe they will know where I can go for the stainless version. I'm not expecting a clip on application, and 3M tape is perfectly acceptable... the plastic version just wasn't for me.

Either way, thanks for the possible lead!

KeithParks00
12-31-12, 04:55 PM
Sadly, Domestic Parts stated that they have never sold a stainless steel overlay. Any chance you may know who the manufacturer is?

The trim set I bought was manufactured by SES Trims and most of the other kits I'm seeing are made by CCI. Maybe I need to give CCI a try, but I did like the lower grill overlay from SES... you win some you lose some I guess.

phunter1
12-31-12, 10:17 PM
Hi Keith,

I double checked my Ebay purchase history and it was definitely purchased from Domestic Parts. Unfortunately, it does not state who the manufacturer of the parts is, nor what it is made of. I'm 99% sure that the parts are stainless steel not ABS plastic. If they are ABS, then they certainly have me fooled.
Sorry, I can't be more help.

Phil