: Replacing Rotors and Pads... opinions??

mwhayes
12-27-12, 10:11 AM
what brand of pads and rotors do you prefer and why.

thanks

jclayc
12-27-12, 11:44 AM
street or track?

darkman
12-27-12, 11:59 AM
A good starting point for the street is the stock rotors with stock pads - this is an excellent setup in terms of stopping power, noise, and longevity. They can be purchased from Lindsay Cadillac at a discount.

thebigjimsho
12-27-12, 01:04 PM
I like stock rotors with Hawk HP+ pads...

crankedupforit
12-27-12, 04:26 PM

Da troof!

r1concepts
12-27-12, 05:20 PM
Hey if your looking for new rotors and pads, feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to help you out!

RyRidesMotoX
12-27-12, 06:48 PM
I ran R1 stuff on my cobalt. I was pleased with it.

mwhayes
12-27-12, 11:53 PM
street setup, I like the stock rotors but whatever pads are on there now generate so much dust

Andringa
01-03-13, 12:09 PM
street setup, I like the stock rotors but whatever pads are on there now generate so much dust

You probably have stock pads on now. If you want less dust and don't mind giving up a bit of performance I've heard good things about Hawk HPS.
If you don't like dust you definitely do not want to go with HP+

repenttokyo
01-04-13, 04:15 PM

exactly what I am running on the track as well. They are noisier than they were on my Miata when I drive it on the street, however.

JDB
01-04-13, 05:07 PM
exactly what I am running on the track as well. They are noisier than they were on my Miata when I drive it on the street, however.

You run Hawk HP+ on the track in your V?? With such a heavy beast, I would probably cook those...or maybe I should brake less, since they only slow you down. Hawk HP+ will be fine ins Mistakes on track, but if you use the brakes and at a big track that uses a lot of brakes...I highly recommend going further up the heat range of pads for the track...at least Hawk HT10/14 or more like DTC70 fronts and DTC60 rears.

PISNUOFF
01-05-13, 09:40 AM
I busted two R1 Concepts rotors on the street. They were cross drilled front rotors. I still run the R1's on the rear at the track with Carbotech pads.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/bruckde/0b6c8513.jpg

repenttokyo
01-06-13, 12:40 PM
You run Hawk HP+ on the track in your V?? With such a heavy beast, I would probably cook those...or maybe I should brake less, since they only slow you down. Hawk HP+ will be fine ins Mistakes on track, but if you use the brakes and at a big track that uses a lot of brakes...I highly recommend going further up the heat range of pads for the track...at least Hawk HT10/14 or more like DTC70 fronts and DTC60 rears.

I haven't had any problems with the pads so far. No cooking, multiple sessions.

RyRidesMotoX
01-08-13, 03:41 PM
I busted two R1 Concepts rotors on the street. They were cross drilled front rotors. I still run the R1's on the rear at the track with Carbotech pads.

That sucks. Did they replace/warranty it?

PISNUOFF
01-08-13, 05:16 PM
Yes, they replaced with no questions asked. Their customer service was excellent. I attribute the cross drilled ones breaking to my aggressive driving style with many hard stops from triple digits. I don't think there is a steel rotor that is cross drilled that will withstand my driving. That's why I never asked to have the second one replaced, not because of any particular brand of drilled rotors.

As a reference:

1. My brother has had a C5 Z06 with over 650 rwHp and stock brakes for 7 years. He drives very aggressively. We swapped vehicles for 6 weeks and I cracked one of his stock fronts (cross drilled) with stock pads in three weeks.

2. I have slotted fronts on my V that have 1/2" cracks on the solid surfaces.

RyRidesMotoX
01-08-13, 07:22 PM
Sweet baby Jesus... I haven't had cross drilled rotors on anything cuz I'm always weary of cracking but I don't drive that hard.

thebigjimsho
01-09-13, 05:21 PM
You run Hawk HP+ on the track in your V?? With such a heavy beast, I would probably cook those...or maybe I should brake less, since they only slow you down. Hawk HP+ will be fine ins Mistakes on track, but if you use the brakes and at a big track that uses a lot of brakes...I highly recommend going further up the heat range of pads for the track...at least Hawk HT10/14 or more like DTC70 fronts and DTC60 rears.If you're on street tires, HP+ is all you need. If you're upping tires, up your pads...

Isaacs
01-10-13, 09:45 PM
I'm running Centric blanks, HP+ pads and ATE superblue with no problems. Been through a couple trackday sessions and hard mtn driving with great results. Ordered it thru- http://knsbrakes.com/index.php Decent prices, fast shipping and good customer service.

JDB
01-10-13, 09:53 PM
If you're on street tires, HP+ is all you need. If you're upping tires, up your pads...

Maybe for a beginner - intermediate driver. No way, as an Advanced ...or, like I said, I need to learn to brake less. Even in a lighter car, I cooked Hawk HT10 up front (with Hawk Blues on the rear).

FWIW, in my V, I use PFC01 pads up front with Hawk HP+ rears on the track and its been great.

2007V
01-11-13, 01:07 AM
I went OEM rotors and hps pads. OEM pads are much better. The HPS have less dust but I miss the performance.

tshort
01-14-13, 10:25 AM
Where is the best place to get OEM rotors and pads? I need to do my brakes also. Can you get them locally or do you need to order them?

darkman
01-14-13, 11:59 AM
If you can find a local dealer that gives discounts that's great, but I have always found the best prices at Lindsay Cadillac of Alexandria - Call 1-888-894-1729 and ask for Luke.

thebigjimsho
01-15-13, 11:30 AM
Luke's prices, with shipping added on, is still going to be cheaper...