: WOT problem

FamofV
12-26-12, 02:57 PM
I've had my STS-V since August 2012. I just began to get used to it and started seeing what it can do.
I noticed that after WOT runs the engine , not the exhaust, smells like its on fire. What can this be? Anyone have a simliar issue?

boomys10
12-26-12, 03:51 PM
how many miles on it?

1madstsv
12-26-12, 03:51 PM
It's more than likely you brakes from having to stand on them to slow down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfQ8hs0zIxE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

FamofV
12-26-12, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The car has 26K miles.
I didn't consider it being the brakes given that their supposed to be good. I'll look into that.

bjherron123
12-26-12, 11:25 PM
I have the same problem, see my post here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/275407-exhaust-smell-after-wot-runs.html

it's not the brakes, as it happens even after on-ramp acceleration to the hiway. I'm convinced it's the cats. I took it to the dealer but they were basically unwilling to do anything, citing a TSB that says it can be caused by bad gas. But for me it happens all the time, and I fill up at several different gas stations.

I have 36K miles on my 07.

Brian

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-27-12, 09:29 AM
FamofV, I do suggest bringing your concerns to your dealer's attention and having their technicians run the proper diagnostic checks on your STS-V. I'm happy to contact your dealer anytime you would like to involve them, and I'm also here to check for any possible recalls, etc. that may be open on your vehicle. If you would like me to look into the matter further, please send me an email at Katie_Lucille@gmexept.com that includes the last eight of your VIN.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

FamofV
01-09-13, 05:13 PM
I took the car in today to my local Cadillac dealer for service. I'll see what they tell me about the burning smell. The smell would appear during normal driving and WOT.

bjherron123
01-09-13, 05:46 PM
let me know what the result is, and if they try to tell you to run different gas too!

FamofV
01-09-13, 10:54 PM
So far the verdict is that the burning smell is a result of oil leaking form the heads onto the manifolds. Who would have thought that with such a low mileage car.

PNBLWZD
01-09-13, 11:54 PM
Or maybe a leaky valve cover gasket onto the manifold?

carter's_sts
01-10-13, 01:23 AM
No smell for me, but I had to have an oil leak fixed at only 28k miles.

boomys10
01-10-13, 11:44 AM
i had mine fixed at 70k, but it was a total tear down of engine. i was informed from my mechanic that the pressure in the crank case can force a small amount of oil out of the rear main seal also. i would invest 30 in a vent to see if that helps before the next step.