: Just another rear shock post!

gunns
12-24-12, 05:21 PM
Anyone know of someone that just replaces the air bags on the stock rear shocks?

I may be opening a bag of worms here but any opinions on Bilsteins vs Remanufactured stock rear shocks from Arnott? I've heard some refer to them as "are nots" The remanufactured stock ones are $10.00 more.

Just what does the "Limited" lifetime warrantee cover. AND has anyone had any luck with their warrantee?

BDuncan
12-24-12, 05:58 PM
Myself and many others have said enough about Arnotts used shocks with new air bags. Shocks (not just the air bag) wear out which is why there are dozens of manufacturers making replacements. I am sure if you buy used OEM shocks from Arnott they will gladly honor the warranty as others have said. BUT, do you want to have to take a shock off, or pay to have it taken off and send it back so you can get a replacement. Lets assume the best case and they send you another used shock so you have it in hand to go through the removal and install over again. If you are paying a dealer/shop for labor is it still worth it to have a worn out used shock with a lifetime warranty. I know Arnott states they test the worn out shocks, but think about how many owners send in nearly new shocks for core vs. shocks that are worn out and due for replacement??

the cadillac man
12-24-12, 06:08 PM
Anyone know of someone that just replaces the air bags on the stock rear shocks?

I may be opening a bag of worms here but any opinions on Bilsteins vs Remanufactured stock rear shocks from Arnott? I've heard some refer to them as "are nots" The remanufactured stock ones are $10.00 more.

Just what does the "Limited" lifetime warrantee cover. AND has anyone had any luck with their warrantee?

They sale new shocks now not just the rebuilt shocks I am going to get a set of the new shocks soon to see if they are worth the price(FYI stay away from they're rebuilt shocks they aren't rebuilt just has a new air bladder)

sprink60
12-24-12, 11:15 PM
Educational reading here...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/228136-just-installed-arnotts-remanufactured-rear-air.html

the cadillac man
12-25-12, 01:03 AM

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/228136-just-installed-arnotts-remanufactured-rear-air.html

+1 very informative material in that thread

sprink60
12-25-12, 08:16 AM
I'm wondering if any one has posted any negative information about the Arnott shocks that has "First Hand" experience.

jnrsesv
12-25-12, 02:31 PM
Not that I have read.

gunns
12-25-12, 03:53 PM

sprink60, Thanks for the info link. It was informative but to a certain point.

Arnott sells the remanufactured and Bilsteins for almost the same price. My concern is in what way are they different?

1. I understand they are both "Plug and Play".

2. They are both adjustable air chocks.

BUT

1. Are they both hooked into the computer and automatically sense when to increase or decrease the air pressure to maintain a level ride.

2. One poster indicated there was a "plug" from Arnott that cancelled out the "service ride stability" display on the DIC. Does this mean that the computer will no longer monitor the air pressure like it did with the stock shocks?

It would be nice to hear from some owners that have installed the Bilsteins - Pros & Cons.

Thanks to all for their interest and posts!

the cadillac man
12-25-12, 04:50 PM
sprink60, Thanks for the info link. It was informative but to a certain point.

Arnott sells the remanufactured and Bilsteins for almost the same price. My concern is in what way are they different?

1. I understand they are both "Plug and Play".

2. They are both adjustable air chocks.

BUT

1. Are they both hooked into the computer and automatically sense when to increase or decrease the air pressure to maintain a level ride.

2. One poster indicated there was a "plug" from Arnott that cancelled out the "service ride stability" display on the DIC. Does this mean that the computer will no longer monitor the air pressure like it did with the stock shocks?

It would be nice to hear from some owners that have installed the Bilsteins - Pros & Cons.

Thanks to all for their interest and posts!

The ones the has a plug to fool the computer is passive gas shocks not active shocks which means the rear time damping feature won't work

The ones that has plugs and uses the factory real time damping feature is active shocks and automatically adjust to the road like the oem shocks

BDuncan
12-26-12, 10:58 AM
The electrical connections to the OEM shocks are not just for "Air Ride" height/load adjustments - they also connect the ride/stability control computer module to the shocks to control the flow of magnetic fluid in the shocks, both FRONT and REAR shocks. This is a relatively advanced system used on more and more higher end cars and trucks. The aftermarket "plugs" supplied with Bilstein or other non-OEM shocks completely disable the OEM Ride and Stability control system and fool the computer from telling you that is disabled. That doesn't mean that non-OEM "passive" shocks won't ride OK - Bilstein makes very high quality shocks - but you no longer have the full functionality of the very advanced ride/stability control system.

gunns
12-26-12, 03:08 PM
The electrical connections to the OEM shocks are not just for "Air Ride" height/load adjustments - they also connect the ride/stability control computer module to the shocks to control the flow of magnetic fluid in the shocks, both FRONT and REAR shocks. This is a relatively advanced system used on more and more higher end cars and trucks. The aftermarket "plugs" supplied with Bilstein or other non-OEM shocks completely disable the OEM Ride and Stability control system and fool the computer from telling you that is disabled. That doesn't mean that non-OEM "passive" shocks won't ride OK - Bilstein makes very high quality shocks - but you no longer have the full functionality of the very advanced ride/stability control system.

Thanks BDuncan for the explanation. So as I understand it in order to get the full benefit of the Cadillac system I need to purchase "New" OEM shocks from Cadillac or get a set of remanufactured shocks from Arnott. Otherwise, if I go with the Bilsteins I'll still get load and height sensing with automatic adjustment but the front and rear shocks will be working independently from each other and not in concert as with the OEMs.

I know this is a personal opinion question but how much benefit is there from the "Ride and Stability" function of the OEMs. I know that Bilstein has a good reputation as we are desert toy owners. I have no reason to question the quality of the Bilsteins.

Do you know if the Bilsteins will change the tongue weight capacity for towing? Stock with a weight distribution hitch it's rated at 1,000 lbs. The reason I ask is that on our last trip pulling our toybox trailer (without toys inside) the OEM air shocks failed and it appears to have been the air bag on the left shock. I donít know if it was due to overstressing the shocks or just that the shocks are 8yrs old.

the cadillac man
12-26-12, 04:05 PM
Thanks BDuncan for the explanation. So as I understand it in order to get the full benefit of the Cadillac system I need to purchase "New" OEM shocks from Cadillac or get a set of remanufactured shocks from Arnott. Otherwise, if I go with the Bilsteins I'll still get load and height sensing with automatic adjustment but the front and rear shocks will be working independently from each other and not in concert as with the OEMs.

I know this is a personal opinion question but how much benefit is there from the "Ride and Stability" function of the OEMs. I know that Bilstein has a good reputation as we are desert toy owners. I have no reason to question the quality of the Bilsteins.

Do you know if the Bilsteins will change the tongue weight capacity for towing? Stock with a weight distribution hitch it's rated at 1,000 lbs. The reason I ask is that on our last trip pulling our toybox trailer (without toys inside) the OEM air shocks failed and it appears to have been the air bag on the left shock. I don’t know if it was due to overstressing the shocks or just that the shocks are 8yrs old.

I'd say it was age that caused your shocks to go as you can have up to 2 tons in the rear without worry

sprink60
12-26-12, 05:40 PM

Do you know if the Bilsteins will change the tongue weight capacity for towing? Stock with a weight distribution hitch it's rated at 1,000 lbs. The reason I ask is that on our last trip pulling our toybox trailer (without toys inside) the OEM air shocks failed and it appears to have been the air bag on the left shock. I don’t know if it was due to overstressing the shocks or just that the shocks are 8yrs old.

The way it was explained to me...the OEM uses an inferior rubber compound on the bladders as compared to the new Good Year rubber that Arnott is using. If you use the better quality rubber you are probably miles ahead in the long run.

BDuncan
12-27-12, 11:42 AM
I have no idea about the quality of rubber on the OEM air bags but my 2003 with just under 150,000 miles still has the original shocks and compressor and they work perfectly. This is my work truck and is always my snow vehicle and has also towed an enclosed trailer for thousands of miles so it's seen plenty of wear. My shocks are well worn and due to be replaced but the air bag/ride works perfectly. OEM shocks are made by Monroe and can be purchased (identical Monroe shocks) from many suppliers for about $215-$225, Rock Auto, Amazon and many others. That is less than half of what a dealer charges, about $600. You can look up the correct Monroe part numbers on their site or on RockAuto.

chistoso
01-01-13, 06:45 PM
I replaced all 4 shocks with bilsteins, installed resistors on the plugs and called it good. Rides much nicer than stock. Also added a set of helper air bags if I need to tow but I havent had the need to air them up even while towing.

sprink60
01-01-13, 07:39 PM
I replaced all 4 shocks with bilsteins, installed resistors on the plugs and called it good. Rides much nicer than stock. Also added a set of helper air bags if I need to tow but I havent had the need to air them up even while towing.

I think that if an owner has no intention of re achieving the original function of the suspension design the route you took is the best way to go.

gunns
01-08-13, 03:09 PM
Well I just ordered the remanufactured shocks from Arnott today and they should be delivered next week. I got a 10% discount by mentioning this forum and the code "GMSave12". That's a $37.90 savings. Every bit helps! That discount was mentioned in a post by Arnott Inc. this past December. I'll be heading out on a 4000+ mile trip in a while and will post how they worked.

Thanks to all for their input on this thread!

sprink60
01-08-13, 11:40 PM
Well I just ordered the remanufactured shocks from Arnott today and they should be delivered next week. I got a 10% discount by mentioning this forum and the code "GMSave12". That's a $37.90 savings. Every bit helps! That discount was mentioned in a post by Arnott Inc. this past December. I'll be heading out on a 4000+ mile trip in a while and will post how they worked.

Thanks to all for their input on this thread!

Good deal...let us know how it works out for you.

gunns
08-28-13, 06:08 PM
Well I installed the shocks but I'm having a problem keeping them aired up. I suspect a leak somewhere in the air lines or the pump. What is the best way to troubleshoot the pump. I suspect it's a low pressure type. I dread the thought that there is a leak some place in the air lines between the pump and the shocks as they pass out of sight and easy access. I realize that the shocks could be bad so I guess I could take the air lines off of them and pump in some low pressure air and see if they leak down. Anyone know what pressure they work at?

the cadillac man
08-28-13, 06:33 PM
Well I installed the shocks but I'm having a problem keeping them aired up. I suspect a leak somewhere in the air lines or the pump. What is the best way to troubleshoot the pump. I suspect it's a low pressure type. I dread the thought that there is a leak some place in the air lines between the pump and the shocks as they pass out of sight and easy access. I realize that the shocks could be bad so I guess I could take the air lines off of them and pump in some low pressure air and see if they leak down. Anyone know what pressure they work at?

Use some soapy water and spray the shocks while watching for bubbles on the bladders
Also check the air line connections at the shocks and compressor as sometimes they may get loose