: Axle Fluids - What Type?

gunns
12-24-12, 05:55 PM
I'm getting ready to change the fluids in the front and rear axles on our '04 Escalade 6ltr AWD. Chiltons calls for 75w90 synthetic in the full-time 4WD front ends. But calls for "GM synthetic axle lubricant" in the rear end which they call a "Quadmaster Rear Axle".

1. What's the difference if there is a difference?

2. Were there other rear axles that they used?

wake
12-25-12, 10:34 AM
Look in your owners manual, it should list 75w-90 synthetic for both front and rear axle.

The problem with Chiltons and other cheap repair manuals is they are usually full of errors. About the only thing I used them for in the past was a cheap manual to grab when my hands were filthy.

I'm not sure what, "Quadmaster Rear Axle" is, but when I plugged into Google it came back with references to Suzuki ATVs. Did it actually say, "Quadrasteer" instead? GM had some 4 wheel steering systems for a couple of years but I believe they were only on the pickup trucks and never made it over to the SUVs.

the cadillac man
12-25-12, 11:58 AM
Look in your owners manual, it should list 75w-90 synthetic for both front and rear axle.

The problem with Chiltons and other cheap repair manuals is they are usually full of errors. About the only thing I used them for in the past was a cheap manual to grab when my hands were filthy.

I'm not sure what, "Quadmaster Rear Axle" is, but when I plugged into Google it came back with references to Suzuki ATVs. Did it actually say, "Quadrasteer" instead? GM had some 4 wheel steering systems for a couple of years but I believe they were only on the pickup trucks and never made it over to the SUVs.

It was quadrasteer and it was offered as a option on the trucks and SUVs (but it was certain years) I know as my uncle worked for gm and I have a few sheets from a service manual that shows it.

sprink60
12-25-12, 12:35 PM
When I first got my truck I had a bit of whine in the front differential. Within a week I drained it as well as the rear and re filled with PennzoilŪ Synthetic 75W-140 GL-5 Gear Oil...front and rear. Immediately...no more whine...very smooth and quiet.

gunns
12-25-12, 04:16 PM
Wake, thanks for your info. I rechecked the manual and I was wrong with the Quadmaster. It lists a "Quadrasteer". Your post triggered my memory and I do recall their expermentation for a few years on four-wheel steering for their trucks.

A closer look at the manual revealed that it does indeed call for 75w90. It was the manner in which they formatted their chart that threw me off.

Working on cars when I was a kid in the 60s was a whole lot easier. With all the changes, computers, electronics & hi-tech, I just expect everything to be more complicated and "screwed up".

Thanks to all for their replys!! Hope you all are enjoying Christmas!

the cadillac man
12-25-12, 04:58 PM
Wake, thanks for your info. I rechecked the manual and I was wrong with the Quadmaster. It lists a "Quadrasteer". Your post triggered my memory and I do recall their expermentation for a few years on four-wheel steering for their trucks.

A closer look at the manual revealed that it does indeed call for 75w90. It was the manner in which they formatted their chart that threw me off.

Working on cars when I was a kid in the 60s was a whole lot easier. With all the changes, computers, electronics & hi-tech, I just expect everything to be more complicated and "screwed up".

Gunns I know what you mean I have a 79 Chrysler cordoba and it is a lot easier to work on then my truck

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-26-12, 11:59 AM

I'm happy to see the community helped you, gunns! If you have any lingering questions in the future, I hope you'll keep the thread updates. I'm available through the private messaging service on the forum, too, if you would ever like me to check my resources for helpful information.

Hope you're having a great holiday season yourself!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

gunns
12-26-12, 04:24 PM
Gunns I know what you mean I have a 79 Chrysler cordoba and it is a lot easier to work on then my truck

Like you, I'm old school! My truck is a '77 GMC 3/4ton Crew Cab with overload springs. When The 454 sucked a valve I put in a 502 crate engine. It's the towing version -513ftlbs of torque at 2600rpm. on most hills it never downshifts. It just cruises right on over. I just love that truck! I've owned it for about 26 years now. I just keep fixing it and pull it out on the property and shoot a new coat of paint on it every 8 or 9 years. Just can't see getting one of them new fang-dangled new prissy trucks.

----------

I'm happy to see the community helped you, gunns! If you have any lingering questions in the future, I hope you'll keep the thread updates. I'm available through the private messaging service on the forum, too, if you would ever like me to check my resources for helpful information.

Hope you're having a great holiday season yourself!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Thanks Lady! I'll keep your offer in mind.

the cadillac man
12-26-12, 05:02 PM
Like you, I'm old school! My truck is a '77 GMC 3/4ton Crew Cab with overload springs. When The 454 sucked a valve I put in a 502 crate engine. It's the towing version -513ftlbs of torque at 2600rpm. on most hills it never downshifts. It just cruises right on over. I just love that truck! I've owned it for about 26 years now. I just keep fixing it and pull it out on the property and shoot a new coat of paint on it every 8 or 9 years. Just can't see getting one of them new fang-dangled new prissy trucks.

----------

Thanks Lady! I'll keep your offer in mind.

I am in the process of restoring that car right now as it is a classic now and is rare in my area

sprink60
12-26-12, 07:04 PM
I am in the process of restoring that car right now as it is a classic now and is rare in my area

Does the Cordoba have "Corinthian Leather"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o

the cadillac man
12-26-12, 07:51 PM
Does the Cordoba have "Corinthian Leather"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o

No it has the cloth seats front bench(odd thing is the interior is green as is the exterior(I will upload a pic as soon as I get done restoring it)