: Are the joy of modern life!

orconn
12-24-12, 12:48 PM
Sometimes I am struck with how little things have really changed how we spend out time!

One of the truly amazing saver of time and seasonal frustration has been the invention of the Christmas present wrapping bag. For most of our lives considerable time was spent , in the days leading up to Christmas, wrapping Christmas presents. While my wife was wrapper-in-charge, I too, did my fair share too. I can remember, after I retired, doing most of our family's wrapping duties. I must say I got really good at turning out a presentable wrapped gift complete with great corners, end closures and lovely bows to accent my handiwork! But this chore used to take me the better part of two days to accomplish.

About ten years ago the "ready-to-go" Christmas present bag became omnipresent. Wow what a gift to to the time pressed of the gift giving world. Even my wife, a world class Christmas junky of the first order, succumbed to the ease and time saving bags to festively adore presents for young and old ..... freed up her time time to go completely nuts with her 7 Christmas trees that occupy our house from the week after Thanksgiving till the week following New Year's day. Heck, if she didn't have so much Christmas decorating stuff we could get by with a much smaller house! (It ain't the cost of what you collect but the cost of the boxes you store it in that is really expensive!)

With Christmas gift bags you just scrunch up some tissue paper, flip the gift inside, hand a name tag on it (probably one from last year year) and if you are really a die hard slap a "pre-fab" bow on it and "voila" you are done! And come the next year and many years after that, you re-use the same "festive" bag, to ""cost effectively and "greenly" eliminate the arduous task of wrapping all those Christmas presents for our loved ones.

It's great, I must admit, living in our modern age! So what that "Ho! Ho! Ho!" doesn't mean the same thing anymore and instead of slay bells the sound of "ca-ching" brightens our Winter nights! Santa needs Advil and his reindeer need potty pouches to be permitted to come into the city limits and no more Red Rider Bee-Bee guns for the young!

Submariner409
12-24-12, 12:52 PM
This thread ^^^ digs pretty deep, but Merry Christmas anyway.

(??? Ah! The joy of modern life! ?)

The-Dullahan
12-24-12, 03:29 PM
Hmmm. The Modern World.

Nah, I wouldn't have to think twice if given a one way trip back into history.

MrHolland
12-24-12, 04:16 PM
If you're going back in history/time, I'd love to ride back with you!!!

orconn
12-24-12, 04:57 PM
Want to catch a trip back to a time when some on the Forums were very young and Christmas, for them, was still a time of wonder, take in a viewing of " Christmas Story." That depiction of Christmas and life in the forties and early fifties really brings back memories. Oh, the make of the car may be different, and the house may have been different (although for a brief time I lived in an almost identical house and experience my first ,in my memory, white Christmas) .... but going shopping for "the" Christmas tree, hoping for the impossible gift (which miraculously came on Christmas morning), looking in the decorated Christmas store windows at the downtown department stores ..... and of course dealing with the bullies and those awful snow suits, and square brick elementary schools with dirt playgrounds (I actually attended a school for fifth grade that looked exactly like the shown in the movie, it went along with house the bungalow where Ralphie and his family lived). The wonder of that time and place made for special Christmases, although I don't think the youth of today would be very impressed with no TV, or computers or the kinds of gifts we received!

Not a bad time, but every generation has its' own fond memories!

MrHolland
12-24-12, 05:15 PM
That is one of my favorite trips back to a simpler time in life!!! Can't wait to watch it tomorrow.

As for gift bags,,,they did make it easy to "cheat" when giving gifts, especially the gifts that were purchased when someone is on their way to their final destination and realize they forgot something.

77CDV
12-24-12, 06:56 PM
Not Christmas-related, but the microwave oven is truely a gift from the gods. That's one modern convenience I wouldn't give up for anything.

orconn
12-24-12, 07:53 PM
^^^ Yeah, makes a mean hot rum toddy in a fraction of the time!

talismandave
12-25-12, 01:05 AM
Sorry this is one party I can't join. I love the modern world too much to consider going back in time. I do often wish I could know then what I know now. But I don't think I could survive going back to the old ways. I would love to go ahead 50 years and see what becomes of this world though. I do fear what I would find....

The-Dullahan
12-25-12, 11:47 AM
I meant a little earlier in history. say back 1,000 years or so. If I could choose WHERE I'd go when said Time-Machine stopped though, I would go back much further.

dkozloski
12-25-12, 12:59 PM
I'd like to go back to the days of Christmas past but not because of the material stuff. At Christmas time I really miss family and friends that are now long gone. I no longer have any of the family of my youth but I try to keep them alive in my heart. I hope that some day someone will do the same for me.

vincentm
12-25-12, 11:24 PM
If i could id like to go forward 500yrs in the future