: Rainsense..........I call them Rainsenseless

BreakThrough
12-24-12, 12:36 PM
Ok, first i realize this is a preference. I hate rainsense wipers. There are those that like them and that is great. I am not attempting to convert those that like this "feature." I hated them on my 2008 CTS4, and I hate them on my 2013 XTS4. I am grateful i do not have them on my 2011 CTS-V coupe. If i could over ride them, and just use a "delayed" wiper feature i would be content. The rainsense never pics a speed i like. However, if i could just use a slow to high intermittent feature without rainsense adjusting this, i would be happy.

Ok, rant done. thanks. :)

P.S. I do thoroughly enjoy the XTS, just a dislike of mine.

Baldtop
12-25-12, 10:01 AM
I'm with you on this one. IMHO a good example of technology taking us backwards.

1BadCadSTS
12-25-12, 11:26 AM
Unplug the rain sense sensor on the windshield. Tada! Delay wiper

thebigjimsho
12-26-12, 01:11 AM
Rainsense on my V works great. But I do only use the least sensitive detents...

gohawks63
12-27-12, 01:08 PM
Maybe the XTS is different, but on the CTS, the first stop on the wiper stalk is for Rainsense. If you don't want Rainsense, you just move it to the next stop which is intermittent.

For the record, the feature works great on my CTS.

BreakThrough
12-27-12, 07:46 PM
Choices in XTS are int, lo, hi. For rain sense equipped cars the "int" selection adjusts the system for sensitivity to moisture. This is from the owner's manual. There is no manual intermittent feature.

The Donald
02-15-13, 10:40 AM
Unplug the rain sense sensor on the windshield. Tada! Delay wiper
No tada ! to it the system will not work on delay without rainsence hooked up and working properly. Thats why I hate the system who is so lazy they have to have rainsence anyway ?? I agree with others "its technology run amuck" no useful purpose except something expensive to repair. No wonder mechanics hate Cadillac's and NS engines. With all their useless computers and faulty electronics...

flying fossil
02-15-13, 09:21 PM
This feature was kept so that a young elect. engr. could have a job.
Now, do something useful.

gohawks63
02-16-13, 11:39 AM
Maybe the XTS is different, but on the CTS, the first stop on the wiper stalk is for Rainsense. If you don't want Rainsense, you just move it to the next stop which is intermittent.

For the record, the feature works great on my CTS.

I was incorrect in my post above. The CTS doesn not have a position for intermittent. The settings positions are MIST-> OFF -> Rainsense (w/adjustments) -> Constant -> Fast

I guess since I have mine on Rainsense all the time I thought there was another setting. Sorry for the misinformation.

With respect to how it works, I have had my CTS for almost a year and I have had it on that setting the entire time. Sometimes the timing is a little off and I have to get a MIST swipe in, usually when the windshield is already wet when first starting it, but overall I think it works well for close to 90% - 95% of the time.

ddalder
02-17-13, 12:07 AM
The XTS uses a completely different generation of RainSense than many other GM vehicles. If I understand the technical information correctly, you should be able to disable this feature by disconnecting the RainSense module, but in addition, the option needs to be turned off using the appropriate programming tool. If you have a willing dealer, they may opt to try and help you with this.

thebigjimsho
02-17-13, 03:27 PM
I guess no one has been in constant rain that slows down, speeds up, slows down. I guess no one has ever passed an eighteen wheeler in the rain. There are times when I can't get to the stalk fast enough and the water blinds me for a second or two...

rustybear3
02-17-13, 05:04 PM
Always loved the Rainsense...very seldom do I have to mess around with adjusting speed, etc, and mine reacts very quickly without me fumbling around trying to adjust them manually. Wouldn't have a Caddy without em...

thebigjimsho
02-17-13, 06:30 PM
That we can agree on!

CDN XTS
02-17-13, 07:12 PM
Agree with rustybear3 and thebigjimsho. When my 2003 STS came with it, I thought I wouldn't need it (obviously didn't know how such worked). But when using it the first time, it immediately changed my mind. Obviously others have their opinion and that's o.k. with me.

karlk
02-17-13, 09:12 PM
I don't own an xts (yet) but I noticed it said this on page 5-4 of the owners manual.

Move the windshield wiper lever
out of the INT position to
deactivate Rainsense.

gohawks63
02-17-13, 10:48 PM
I don't own an xts (yet) but I noticed it said this on page 5-4 of the owners manual.

deactivate Rainsense.

Yes and you then have regular speed. You don't have an intermittent setting outside of Rainsense.

I have had no issues with Rainsense in my car.

blue_skies
02-19-13, 05:50 PM

deactivate Rainsense.

I vaguely remember something similar on my STS. But I hardly used it - I always had it in the Rainsense mode, and it worked fine for me, particularly when the rain conditions vary a lot.

Something else to consider: Rain-X treatment on the windshield. Tried it on my other car recently, and truly could drive through (varying) rain without using the windshield wipers at all.

DTS man33
02-22-13, 01:40 PM
A better idea is just get a model w/o the Rainsense option. I understand the flip side of the coin is you will lose other options. Since base Cadillac's are a joke with no heated/cooled seats, nav etc. I had it on my older DTS's and somedays loved it other days hated it. I thought that was the reason Cadillac did away with it from 2010 and 2011 but I guess that was for some other reason.

BreakThrough
02-23-13, 11:57 PM
A better idea is just get a model w/o the Rainsense option. I understand the flip side of the coin is you will lose other options. Since base Cadillac's are a joke with no heated/cooled seats, nav etc. I had it on my older DTS's and somedays loved it other days hated it. I thought that was the reason Cadillac did away with it from 2010 and 2011 but I guess that was for some other reason.

My 2011 CTS-V coupe does not have it and I am pleased that it doesn't.