: Catera Front Struts?

retho78
12-24-12, 12:08 PM
Hello,

Merry Christmas!!

I'm thinking of changing out the front struts on my 98 Catera and browsed online, saw some brands like (Monroe, Sachs, KYB and AC Delco).

I wanted to get some opinions from everyone out there and the decide which one to go with. Also, I don't want spend too much on these either.

Also, should I buy the strut mount and bellow kit per the struts I'm planning to buy or can I use any brand?

Thanks.

elvin315
12-24-12, 12:56 PM
I'm thinking of changing out the front struts on my 98 Catera and browsed online, saw some brands like (Monroe, Sachs, KYB and AC Delco).

I wanted to get some opinions from everyone out there and the decide which one to go with. Also, I don't want spend too much on these either.

Also, should I buy the strut mount and bellow kit per the struts I'm planning to buy or can I use any brand?

First ask yourself if you want an OEM ride or a performance improvement then read the following linked article then ask again.
http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t108-catera-suspension-upgrades-part-1

To be honest I love performance and went with Koni Sport inserts which replace the guts of the AC Delco originals. My car is a 2001 Sport. Its bushings were shot giving me severe shaking under braking and wheel misalignment. Now she rides better and turns on a dime.

retho78
12-25-12, 01:04 PM
Thanks, I'm just looking for a normal smooth ride and not much of a performance right now. I do not have any shaking or alignment issues so planning buy one for the brands I mentioned on my previous post and also find out which one is the good.

Also, the Konis inserts are expensive and is it hard to replace them with the OEM strut assembly?

Thanks.

elvin315
12-25-12, 01:29 PM
Monroe:
Sensatrac Strut: part # 71503 (Twin-tube low pressure gas unit similiar to OEM)
Max-Air Rear Shocks: part # MA825 (For use with self leveling)
Upper Mount: part # 903932
Front Boot & Bumpstop: part # 63619

I've heard good things about these. Widely available and inexpensve compared to the Koni and KYBs.

retho78
12-26-12, 07:14 PM
Thanks elvin315. I think I saw the Monroes (front struts) on Amazon and it was pretty cheap. Do you recommend changing the mounting kit as well?

elvin315
12-29-12, 07:01 PM
I did. The mount has just as many miles on it. Seemed like the logical thing to do. Changed the ball joints too.