: Younger members not treated the same?

MattHatlee
12-24-12, 12:56 AM
I am very interested to see everyone's opinion on this.

I have noticed that the younger members on this forum don't seem like they are takin' as serious as many of the 'older' members. Have you guys realized this? And if so, why do you think this is?

The-Dullahan
12-24-12, 01:42 AM
I've always been taken seriously or rather; as seriously as I behave. Myself and some of the younger members actually had a Forum Meet with four of us (younger members) in attendance as well as some of the older, organized by two of our younger fellows and we had attendees from the region, as well as some from rather far off. I wouldn't think one could be taken more seriously than having Forum Members come from across the entire country.

Hmmm. Maybe it's the people you're dealing with? I wouldn't advise naming anyone in particular, but may haps the people you are referring to are just...sort of...like that.

Another thing to remember is that with so few posts and such a short time here, you have not had time to fully develop relationships with some of the other forum regulars, nor have they had time to understand and get to know you.

Anyhow, welcome to the lounge and I certainly hope that everything works out for you. You can always hang around here and get to know some of the Forum Regulars you may not be as familiar with. We're mostly good people here and even I'm not THAT bad.

MattHatlee
12-24-12, 02:01 AM
I've always been taken seriously or rather; as seriously as I behave. Myself and some of the younger members actually had a Forum Meet with four of us in attendance, organized by two of our younger fellows and attendees from the region, as well as some from rather far off. I wouldn't think one could be taken more seriously than having Forum Members come from across the entire country.

Hmmm. Maybe it's the people you're dealing with? I wouldn't advise naming anyone in particular, but may haps the people you are referring to are just...sort of...like that.

Another thing to remember is that with so few posts and such a short time here, you have not had time to fully develop relationships with some of the other forum regulars, nor have they had time to understand and get to know you.

Anyhow, welcome to the lounge and I certainly hope that everything works out for you. You can always hang around here and get to know some of the Forum Regulars you may not be as familiar with. We're mostly good people here and even I'm not THAT bad.
I have been (for the most part) been takin pretty seriously. And have had a good experience on these forums. I was just trying to stir up a conversation If other members felt as if younger members may be treated different. But thank you for the very kind response. I appreciate it.

cadillac kevin
12-24-12, 08:17 AM
I think alot of the "younger members" being treated differently have to do with either being new (not "known" by the "older members") or acting immaturely. There are quite a few younger guys who hang out around here, but you wouldn't know it based on their attitude and the way they conduct themselves.

truckinman
12-24-12, 08:23 AM
I think alot of the "younger members" being treated differently have to do with either being new (not "known" by the "older members") or acting immaturely. There are quite a few younger guys who hang out around here, but you wouldn't know it based on their attitude and the way they conduct themselves.

Yes sir. I'm only 27 but haven't really noticed anything like the OP wrote about. In all fairness, this is one of the most respectable forums I've ever been on. I've been on tons of jeep forums. Never had a problem with any of them really, but this one can make one feel more welcome! I like that greatly. But, as with any forum, no matter your age, if you act like a 9 year old, you're probably going to be treated as such.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-24-12, 08:25 AM
We're a pretty respectful, mature bunch, the forum as a whole I mean.

At this point in time, we don't have any trolls that need different treatment, so everyone gets along without and major issues and it's a good place to spend time. I ought to know....I've been here since 2006 and have seen many different crowds come and go.

Lupin
12-24-12, 09:20 AM
If you guys hung out on the CTS part of the forum, you'd hate young people too.

They are stupid and they put chrome everywhere and they all think they have V's and I hate them.

cadillac kevin
12-24-12, 09:26 AM
If you guys hung out on the CTS part of the forum, you'd hate young people too.

They are stupid and they put chrome everywhere and they all think they have V's and I hate them.

Haha...french matt has to deal with a bunch of 9 year olds :)

Submariner409
12-24-12, 09:46 AM
Age has absolutely nothing to do with a member's acceptance or rejection: Attitude does.

Remember: "When I was 16 I was always embarrassed by how little my father knew. When I reached 21 I was amazed at how much he had learned in 5 years."

We all start somewhere, and if we're good at it, we store all that car knowledge in the sawdust in our skulls so we can try to pass it on later.

The-Dullahan
12-24-12, 10:07 AM
Yes sir. I'm only 27 but haven't really noticed anything like the OP wrote about. In all fairness, this is one of the most respectable forums I've ever been on. I've been on tons of jeep forums. Never had a problem with any of them really, but this one can make one feel more welcome! I like that greatly. But, as with any forum, no matter your age, if you act like a 9 year old, you're probably going to be treated as such.

I agree. I have over the years been a member of several Forums (of completely different types) as a regular, an occasional visitor and even a Moderator and this Forum does come off better than a lot of them. We don't have as much of the trolling as some other Forums have and though our members, regardless of age, do a fair job of acting maturely. There are exceptions, but they are very rare and far-in-between and most often, it is a one-time event and someone turns to their senses and it's all settled.

May haps it is a "car thing", because in hindsight, the Pontiac forum I frequent has several people under twenty years old and even an eighteen-year-old Moderator, yet that webpage and this one are probably the most respectable forums I visit on a regular basis and I while there are more respectable forums, I have very rarely encountered them.

Ranger
12-24-12, 11:31 AM
I've always been taken seriously or rather; as seriously as I behave.

I think alot of the "younger members" being treated differently have to do with.............. acting immaturely.

if you act like a 9 year old, you're probably going to be treated as such.

Age has absolutely nothing to do with a member's acceptance or rejection: Attitude does.

That pretty much sums it up.

Stingroo
12-24-12, 12:56 PM
'tis all p00p.

Submariner409
12-24-12, 01:02 PM
'tis all p00p.

Easy, kid - easy.............................:wisdom:

MotownPimp
12-24-12, 03:01 PM
For the most part I have no idea of people's ages.

Maturity, or immaturity, knows no age limits.

The-Dullahan
12-24-12, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't say I act immature. The lack of seriousness people may convey to me is most likely a result of mildly eccentrc or off-kilter behaviour. Whatever. It gets me a special license plate to park at the front of the store, where the Vikings can't stage an ambush on me.

thebigjimsho
12-24-12, 04:24 PM
No one takes me seriously. And I'm OLD!

77CDV
12-24-12, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't say I act immature. The lack of seriousness people may convey to me is most likely a result of mildly eccentrc or off-the-kilt behaviour. Whatever. It gets me a special license plate to park at the front of the store, where the Vikings can't stage an ambush on me.

Fixed. :D

Jesda
12-24-12, 10:10 PM
Our oldest members are cranky and close-minded.

Our youngest members are loud and foolish.

Naturally, they don't get along!

hueterm
12-24-12, 10:47 PM
I am very interested to see everyone's opinion on this.

I have noticed that the younger members on this forum don't seem like they are takin' as serious as many of the 'older' members. Have you guys realized this? And if so, why do you think this is?

Point proven.

Tongue bitten.

talismandave
12-25-12, 01:14 AM
I am constantly in awe of how much the young members of this forum know how to do and what they teach us all here. I wish I were as knowledgeable and fearless in my projects when I was a lad!

Stingroo
12-25-12, 09:20 AM
We try. :lol:

CVP33
12-25-12, 09:30 AM
No one takes me seriously. And I'm OLD!

I can't take this thread seriously so there.

*takes ball goes home*

SUPER LAC DEVILLE
12-25-12, 11:42 AM
I think I get 99% negative feedback on every issue I engage but I dnt feel I'm treated indifferent...

Being new to the forum doesn't have any reflection on my age

The older are usually more experienced and wise bc they've been there done that... Doesn't necessarily mean the younger are not and are treated differently.

Mostly comes down to what they know and what u do not... And how the older CONVEY their experience and knowledge.

More often than not the wise and experienced come off somewhat throw it in ur face egotistical, and borderline narcissistic bc they know something

But I think if u dnt take it as personally as most do... Younger and older... There's much to still learn and take away from this forum.

Of important note: this forum is probably the best, longest run'n forum I've come across.

That's why, despite my 99% Negative feedback... I will always stay with this forum.

So dnt take the negative that u receive personally. Someone will always agree or disagree with u on any given subject...

Look at it all as equal and take anything u can from these guys bc I haven't seen any wanna intentionally harm or disrespect anyone on this forum... Be them young, old, noob, or vet.

Enjoy the ride

Bro-Ham
01-04-13, 11:53 AM
Our oldest members are cranky and close-minded.

Our youngest members are loud and foolish...

And you should know as a nearing middle age member who is self righteous. :)

Seriously, I feel there is always an opportunity to learn something new on this forum plus share our automotive jubilation and malfunctions - and forget about age, you never know who holds the key to the experience or expertise you may seek. Passion for Cadillacs is what stimulates most good people here and keeps us together, and the diversity of personalities is the spice that makes the forum fun! :)

talismandave
01-04-13, 06:35 PM
...and this place is one HOT TAMALE!:flame:

Cadillac Kid03
01-04-13, 07:46 PM
I have never had a problem on this forum because of my age or grammar for that matter. I respect the older guys and look up to them for advice and there smarts. I think we all get along so well because of our love for Cadillac's.

The-Dullahan
01-05-13, 12:05 AM
I believe we mend together, like one big, dysfunctional family at a reunion or special event. We've got the old Grandfatherly figures who have "In My Day" stories, the annoying little cousins who are absolutely ridiculous, but you can't help but like (because you're stuck with them) and even those few second-or-third-cousins that you bump into at the reunion and can't really remember which side of the family they came from...

...Then there's that one crazy uncle that no one really knows where he came from...I believe his name was Chamus.

Cadillac Kid03
01-05-13, 12:19 AM
I believe we mend together, like one big, dysfunctional family at a reunion or special event. We've got the old Grandfatherly figures who have "In My Day" stories, the annoying little cousins who are absolutely ridiculous, but you can't help but like (because you're stuck with them) and even those few second-or-third-cousins that you bump into at the reunion and can't really remember which side of the family they came from...

...Then there's that one crazy uncle that no one really knows where he came from...I believe his name was Chamus.Where do i stand in this? lol

The-Dullahan
01-05-13, 12:44 AM
Well, I don't personally place you in any of the categories described, but if you feel you belong in one...

Cadillac Kid03
01-05-13, 01:14 AM
Well, I don't personally place you in any of the categories described, but if you feel you belong in one...So i'm not family then but i guess i'm a good friend of the family. Sounds legit :thumbsup:

The-Dullahan
01-05-13, 04:39 AM
No, you can be family, just I don't see you as a Grandfather (Submariner, etc) or that one annoying baby cousin with one-third of a brain (Brandon, etc)

Friends are just as good though. Through illness, war and everything else, I have very little blood family left alive these days (And if one is adopted and traces their family, they'll learn they technically have even less) but in the culture I was raised in, close friends are family, all the same. I have many brothers and sisters. So either way, you're set.

rodnok01
01-05-13, 01:43 PM
Well overall this site is one of the best on the net I would say. There are some forums I notice a lot of flaming going on and just don't go into those :)
Seems to me poor communication skills cause more problems than anything else, incomplete problem descriptions or just plain lack of knowledge and then getting pissy with someone when they respond. Most are here to help not put down(I did say most).
I generally don't even look at ages since frankly I don't care, you're either a nice guy or not and it has nothing to do with age.

The-Dullahan
01-05-13, 01:58 PM
Agreed. Even if I had a completely separate task to accomplish, not related to Cadillacs or even cars at all, this would probably be a good place to start. We have experts here on just about any imaginable subject.

ryannel2003
01-08-13, 12:34 PM
I've never once felt like I was treated any differently just because I'm young.. and I joined this forum when I was 17. If anything, I've learned more here than any place I've ever been a part of and I worked at a Cadillac dealership for 3 1/2 years.

Now if you want to see a good amount of annoying immaturity, go to the E46 Fanatics forums. Nothing worse than a 16 year old buying a BMW and wanting to make everything carbon fiber or black it all out. Ugh.

truckinman
01-08-13, 01:54 PM
I'll tell you one of the WORST forums I've ever been on. Pirate4x4.com. Holy hell those guys are rough. If you don't have some bad ass custom 4 wheel drive, they get pissy with you, literally, for every question asked!

Another bad one was jeepforum.com. The biggest forum for jeeps on the net, but some of those guys were real class act *******s.

This forum is a complete 180 from the two I just described. Great people. Most of which don't let their "Internet ego" get the best of them. You can actually ask anything on here, and as long as you're respectful, you won't get flamed for it.

CadillacLuke24
01-08-13, 08:38 PM
Man I've missed a lot!

I agree with Sub, it's the attitude. Show up with an appetite for knowledge and willingness to learn and you'll fit right in. :thumbsup:

:lol: At 16 I was embarrased at how little my Dad knew, and at 21 I was amazed at how much he learned in 5 years- Very true! I read that and thought to myself, HEY! That's me! :D

Ranger
01-08-13, 08:57 PM
:lol: At 16 I was embarrased at how little my Dad knew, and at 21 I was amazed at how much he learned in 5 years- Very true! I read that and thought to myself, HEY! That's me! :D
Welcome to the club.

cadi509
01-09-13, 01:25 AM
I like the older guys more they tend to have more knowledgable suggestions and if you catch on to half of what they post its funny..... Dzlowksi and sub are a riot, ranger seems laid back an moderate...... I do notice immaturity from time to time even in the middle age-older gentlemen I think I just do what most do and ignore them.... Give a small flame fuel and it will ignite into a wildfire

CadillacLuke24
01-09-13, 07:24 PM
No, you can be family, just I don't see you as a Grandfather (Submariner, etc) or that one annoying baby cousin with one-third of a brain (Brandon, etc)

Friends are just as good though. Through illness, war and everything else, I have very little blood family left alive these days (And if one is adopted and traces their family, they'll learn they technically have even less) but in the culture I was raised in, close friends are family, all the same. I have many brothers and sisters. So either way, you're set.

I always thought you were the Cosmo Kramer (of Seinfeld yore for those who don't know) of Cadillac Owners:

Kinda weird dude, no one knows where he came from, no one knows what he does for employment for sure, but he's loaded and he's pretty entertaining. :duck:

The-Dullahan
01-11-13, 12:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmlCAhrAWYw

Aztec ETC ECS
01-11-13, 04:42 PM
I don't know man. At 16, I had more important things on my mind, my face and other places that can't be mentioned!

The-Dullahan
01-12-13, 12:34 AM
At 16, I had been taken from my homeland and was trying to learn the ways of Florida. Honestly, it still seriously perplexes me.

I quickly learned about large franchise corporations and how to attempt to tone-down my appearance and blend into the natives (as best as possible) because in Florida, people dress funny, so you stand out. Standing out is never my desire and can have numerous consequences. I'd love to take a few locals and throw them into the fray of my home town though. Give them ten hours.

However, never in that time was I less than impressed with the wealth of knowledge my Father possessed. What he did not know, he had the means to have someone else "know" for him. While he and I knew entirely different things, there were actually times our spans of knowledge would actually overlap and could benefit one another.