: Questions about my Diff bushing install

V for victory
12-23-12, 08:27 PM
So over the weekend, I dropped the differential and replaced my front Diff bushing with the Rev Shift blue one and the CS diff insert. I was able to do this without much problems and without removing the exhaust. When I bolted it back up, I hand tightened the two rear bolts until all the way in and then snugged them slightly up with a socket. I then installed the front bolt also without much problem. So here is my concern: after torquing the two rear bolts to the 129' pounds and moving back up to the front bolt, It looks like the front bushing sits deeper in the metal bracket and when torquing that nut and bolt ( bolt side to 129' lbs ) it pulls in on the blue rear bushing outside edge of the poly. Is this normal???? I would post pics but the forum says I'm over the limit for photos, the front part of the bushing is pushed out of the diff by maybe 1/8 inch but is tight against the front part of the bracket.

I still have the car up in the air on stands since Im still waiting on the trailing arm bushings to also arrive from RS. lost in the mail since the 19th.

Please advise.

----------

When trying to load a pic it says it over the limit of 390KB but is the right size 1024x612 pixels what do I do?

V for victory
12-23-12, 08:37 PM
Ok figured out how to clear my attachments, LOL

V for victory
12-23-12, 08:39 PM
A little blurry, cell phone pic !

darkman
12-23-12, 08:40 PM
It does not look right to me. I would try loosening everything and retightening all three points in rotation approaching full torque in two or three steps, i.e. 50%, 75%, and then 100%.

V for victory
12-23-12, 08:46 PM
Find a free online jpeg reduction program and make it smaller.

Thanks, it was actually that I had too many photos saved in my attachment file on the forum, clear all of them and now it works,

NCOGNITO
12-24-12, 01:23 AM
It's hard to tell from your picture, but I think you're talking about the bushing sliding out of the front of the diff when you tighten the rear bolts?

What I posted about here, but with the RevShift bushing? --> http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/272294-cs-diff-bushing-install-sleeve-slid.html

I talked to Max from Creative Steel and he said that it likely wouldn't matter, since there's no way that the front ear of the diff can hit the cradle/subframe with the sleeve holding it in position. I used some small washers and filled the 1/8" gap in the back, pushing it farther forward and the bushing sat flush with the front of the diff again. My diff bushing could be "pressed" in with my hand, suggesting that the diameter was just large enough to let it slip a little bit, Regardless, the very tiny amount that yours appears to be pushing forward should not hurt it at all.

V for victory
12-24-12, 01:46 AM
It does not look right to me. I would try loosening everything and retightening all three points in rotation approaching full torque in two or three steps, i.e. 50%, 75%, and then 100%.

Ok did it again, first when I backed off all three bolts until loose, I was able to slide the Diff forward to take up the gap, I then tighened that bolt to 100'lbs, I then went in the clockwise rotation @100, 115, and then 129" pounds. same outcome as before, it appears the back part of the front bracket needs to be set back alittle further because the Diff isn't centered in the bracket and is just alittle more towards the rear. Also as I'm tightening that front bolt its pushing on the bushing and squeezing it to push the front side out alittle. Now as I'm writing this I'm wondering once I put a load on the cradle by putting the car back on the ground will it move that slightly and correct it self. I also have a floor jack on the driver side rear cradle helping to hold the back of my car up as I needed alittle more room to use the torque wrench. I did read another members thread on here which was very old who had the same thing happen to him when using the UUC bushing, but their was no resolution to that post.

----------

It's hard to tell from your picture, but I think you're talking about the bushing sliding out of the front of the diff when you tighten the rear bolts?

What I posted about here, but with the RevShift bushing? --> http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/272294-cs-diff-bushing-install-sleeve-slid.html

I talked to Max from Creative Steel and he said that it likely wouldn't matter, since there's no way that the front ear of the diff can hit the cradle/subframe with the sleeve holding it in position. I used some small washers and filled the 1/8" gap in the back, pushing it farther forward and the bushing sat flush with the front of the diff again. My diff bushing could be "pressed" in with my hand, suggesting that the diameter was just large enough to let it slip a little bit, Regardless, the very tiny amount that yours appears to be pushing forward should not hurt it at all.

Thanks, I did read your post as well and although I just dont feel comfortable enough to put some washers on the back two bolts I'm going to call this job finished. Thanks to you and darkman for your reply's.

V for victory
12-24-12, 06:05 PM
Well the trailing arm bushing arrived today and I installed them. Took the car for a test drive and all seems perfect, the only noise I can hear is the dam dual mass fly wheel ( thats another project in the spring). Car feel tight and responsive.

Motown Cad
05-24-13, 11:54 PM
V can I pm you about bushing? How did it ever turn out? I want to do mine tomorrow but no "navy 1, 2, 3 step instructions lol.

Mike