: Are updates needed for the navigation system

Kennyj
12-23-12, 06:14 PM
I am purchasing a 2012 SRX and the web indicates that there is a 2013 map update. I asked the dealer and he said that the maps are now continuously updated thru Onstar. Sounds possible, but why would the web say there is an update. Does anyone have a straight answer?

sube5186
12-23-12, 07:03 PM
I am purchasing a 2012 SRX and the web indicates that there is a 2013 map update. I asked the dealer and he said that the maps are now continuously updated thru Onstar. Sounds possible, but why would the web say there is an update. Does anyone have a straight answer?

Maps OnStar uses for Turn-By-Turn (audible) directions may be automatically updated, but your Nav's maps are downloaded via a DVD directly to your HDD. These map DVDs are outdated before they're even sold, as new roads are constructed nationwide on a daily basis. If you want to update your maps on an annual basis, GM will gladly sell you a new disc for $200. Until we get Google Maps in cars, none of these types of Nav systems will be 100% up to date. My suggestion to you is this. Don't even worry about having the most up to date maps until your present database becomes inaccurate ON A REGULAR BASIS. Mine is three years old and I only remember a road missing from the Nav once. Of course, this all depends on how often you use your Nav and the area you're in.

Maybe they were referring to the 2013 SRX. Personally, I wouldn't trust what the dealer tells me. My salesman was clueless. He told me the same exact thing three years ago. He had no clue, and instead of admitting this, he just made stuff up off the top of his head.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=yaoKCghBBvQAAAE60eBpoJO6&ShowAllProducts=YES

Sube

Kennyj
12-23-12, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think your recommendation makes a lot of sense but I am going to push them a little to update the maps before I purchase the car

sube5186
12-24-12, 09:02 AM
I am going to push them a little to update the maps before I purchase the car

That's an excellent idea! It cost them nothing, since they should already have the latest disc on hand. I don't blame you for wanting to "start out" with the latest map database. Mine might be outdated now, but at the time of purchase it was the newest version.

Sube

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-24-12, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the reply. I think your recommendation makes a lot of sense but I am going to push them a little to update the maps before I purchase the car

Kennyj, thank you for considering a SRX! I hope you'll keep us posted after you consult with your dealer again, and don't hesitate to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to investigate any concern further for you. If you send me the last eight of its VIN, I would also be happy to provide you with a copy of its build sheet!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Kennyj
12-24-12, 12:28 PM
Katie

Thanks for the reply. The last eight digits are: CS646686

I look forward to hearing from you

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-24-12, 01:43 PM
Kennyj, thanks for the prompt reply! Please see below for your build code information. Should there be any questions about the vehicle's original build or RPO information please refer to its original window sticker.

Best,

Katie

01A - INTERIOR TRIM
1SE - 1SE PACKAGE
2BX - SAPELE WOOD-TRIM INTERIOR
4AA - INTERIOR TRIM
5AD - SAPELE SHIFT KNOB
7AA - SUSPENSION
9L3 - TIRE SPARE NONE
AAB - DRIVER MEMORY PACKAGE
AG2 - PWR SEAT ADJUST, FRONT PASSENGER, 8 WAY
AL2 - SEAT ADJUSTERS, DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER POWER LUMBAR
AR9 - SEAT, FRONT BUCKET
ATH - EZ KEY PASSIVE ENTRY SYSTEM
AY0 - AIRBAGS, DRIVER & FRONT PASS. FRONT / SIDE IMPACT * AIRBAGS - SIDE HEAD CURTAIN
C3U - POWER SUNROOF W/ 2ND ROW SKYLIGHT
CE4 - HEADLAMP WASHERS
CJ4 - CLIMATE CONTROL, TRI ZONE
DCP - ONSTAR, DIRECTION AND CONNECT
DR4 - MIRRORS, OUTSIDE HEATED, POWER, FOLDING,DRIVER SIDE AUTO DIMMING
EF7 - USA
FBJ - INTERIOR TRIM
FE9 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS
GBV - GRAY FLANNEL METALLIC
JJK - SUSPENSION
KA1 - HEATED FRONT SEAT, DRIVER
KG4 - ALTERNATOR, 150 AMPS
KU1 - SEAT, VENTILATED DRIVER
LFX - ENGINE 3.6L, SIDI V6 E85 CAPABLE
MH2 - TRANSMISSION, 6 SPD AUTOMATIC
NT7 - EMISSION - FEDERAL
QRX - TIRES, ALL SEASON BLACKWALL
RTU - WHEELS, 20" CHROMETECH
SLM - STOCK ORDER
T96 - FOG LAMPS, FRONT
TSQ - LED INTERIOR AMBIENT LIGHTING
U2K - XM RADIO - SERVICE SUBSCRIPTION SOLD SEPARATELY BY SIRIUS/XM AFTER 3 MONTHS
U70 - DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER
UD5 - FRONT & REAR PARKING ASSIST
UEC - SENSOR, AUTOMATIC AIR CIRCULATION
ULD - REAR SEAT AUDIO CONTROLS, HEADPHONE JACKS
UQS - BOSE AUDIO SYSTEM, 10 SPEAKER
UYS - AUDIO SYSTEM W/NAVIGATION SINGLE CD/DVD PLAYER, BOSE 10-SPEAKER SYSTEM, 5.1 SURROUND SOUND, 8" TOUCHSCREEN AND 10GB HARD DRIVE FOR MUSIC STORAGE
V8D - US VEHICLE STATEMENT
VH9 - OWNER INFO ENVELOPE
VVO - SAPELE CONSOLE
1AB - DOOR TRIM
1SZ - OPTION DISCOUNT
44F - WOOD TRIM PACKAGE - STEERING WHEEL, SHIFT KNOB
5A7 - WHEEL SPARE NONE
6AA - SUSPENSION
8X2 - SUSPENSION
9X2 - SUSPENSION
AFC - EBONY W/ EBONY ACCENTS
AL0 - AIRBAG SENSING SYSTEM, PASSENGER
ANY - CARGO, REAR STORAGE
ASV - HUMIDITY/WINDSHIELD TEMP SENSOR
AXP - MPV
BTV - REMOTE VEHICLE START
C9X - GVW RATING, 2,480 KG
CEC - WIPERS, RAINSENSE
D42 - CARGO SHADE, RETRACTABLE
DD8 - INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR, AUTO DIMMING
EBS - SEAT TRIM
F07 - AXLE, 3.39 FINAL DRIVE RATIO
FE2 - SUSPENSION SYSTEM
FHS - VEHICLE FUEL GASOLINE E85
JF4 - ADJUSTABLE PEDALS
JL9 - ANTI LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM
KA6 - HEATED REAR SEATS
KTI - KIT, TIRE INFLATOR
KU3 - SEAT, VENTILATED PASSENGER
LHD - LEFT HAND DRIVE
NP5 - LEATHER WRAP STEERING WHEEL
NV7 - PWR STEERING, VARIABLE ASSIST
R9N - PROCESSING CODE - INTERIOR TRIM
SAL - RAMOS ARIZPE
T61 - DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS
TB5 - REAR LIFTGATE, POWER
TT6 - HEADLAMPS, HALOGEN W/ FLASH TO PASS, AUTOMATIC ON/OFF
U30 - DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER
UA6 - THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM
UE1 - 1 YR ONSTAR DIRECTIONS AND CONNECTIONS WITH AUTOMATIC CRASH RESPONSE & TURN-BY-TURN NAVIGATION (ASK DEALER ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE)
UG1 - UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE
UPF - BLUETOOTH FOR PHONE
UVC - REAR VISION CAMERA SYSTEM
V64 - ROOF RAILS, CHROME
VAS - GRILLE, BRIGHT FINISH FACTORY GRILLE-DLR INSTALLED)
VT7 - OWNERS MANUAL
YM8 - IDENTIFIER - LPO

Kennyj
12-24-12, 02:09 PM
Katie

Can you tell from the build date or build sheet what navigation maps are included ?

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-24-12, 04:19 PM
I just double checked my resources to be sure, Kenny, and I found that the special Nav Disc team would be of better assistance on that topic. They should have the most up-to-date information for you. The GM Navigation Support (http://mapupdate.navigation.com/GM/) hotline is 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472) OR 1-877-NAV-DISK (1-877-628-3475), and their typical hours are Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM EST.

Hope this helps,

Katie

Kennyj
12-26-12, 10:11 AM
Update. I just talked to my dealer and they will update the navigation maps. Great service

inspectorudy
12-26-12, 10:14 AM
Katie, nice to have you on board BTW, wouldn't it be nice of GM to offer the updates as a feature of the Cadillac level of service for free? I mean ONE disc per dealership would suffice to update ALL of its customer's cars at the cost of only that disc. Things like this make the difference between a cheap company that lives for today and one that truly cares about repeat customers. If I were running the Cadillac division I would look at things to help my customers and that would give GM the most bang for the buck. This should easily be one of them!

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-26-12, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, inspectorudy! I'll be sure to document your idea, and I can definitely understand your perspective on it. (I'm also glad your dealer is working with you on updating your Navigation maps!)

Best,

Katie

mfdoc911
01-02-13, 11:12 AM
the last 8 are BS558640 I would really appreciate a build sheet

wekz1
01-02-13, 01:47 PM
Hi We took delivery of our 2012 SRX AWD on Thanks giving Weekend. We started noticing that many major roads in our area, (Phila. PA) were missing or not labeled. That prompted me to check the Nav. Version that was loaded in the system. It Said it was 20.11.03 Does that mean it is a 2011 software Version? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-02-13, 03:20 PM
Hi We took delivery of our 2012 SRX AWD on Thanks giving Weekend. We started noticing that many major roads in our area, (Phila. PA) were missing or not labeled. That prompted me to check the Nav. Version that was loaded in the system. It Said it was 20.11.03 Does that mean it is a 2011 software Version? Any thoughts?
Thanks

Wekz1, have you already checked with our GM Navigation Support team (contact information above)? You can also check to see what latest upgrade is available on their site. And I'm happy to investigate if you still have any lingering concerns after checking those resources! Email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

the last 8 are xxxxxxxx I would really appreciate a build sheet

Thank you, mfdoc! Below you will find the build sheet, and I've removed your VIN from this post since many consider if private information. Please feel free to "edit" your comment to remove the VIN as well, if you wish.

Best,

Katie

01E - INTERIOR TRIM
1SB - LUXURY COLLECTION
2BX - SAPELE WOOD TRIM PACKAGE
4AJ - INTERIOR TRIM
6AA - SUSPENSION
8X2 - SUSPENSION
AG2 - POWER SEAT ADJUSTER
AL2 - POWER LUMBAR
AR9 - FRONT BUCKET SEATS
ATH - PASSIVE ENTRY SYSTEM
AY0 - AIRBAGS
C3U - SUNROOF, POWER ULTRAVIEW
CEC - WIPERS, RAINSENSE
D42 - REAR CARGO SHADE
DD8 - MIRROR, ISRV
EBS - SEAT TRIM
EPM - CONVERSION CODE
F46 - ALL-WHEEL DRIVE
FE2 - SUSPENSION, 4-WHEEL
GBV - GRAY FLANNEL METALLIC
JJK - SUSPENSION
KA1 - HEATED SEATS
LF1 - 3.0L VVT DOHC V6 SIDI ENGINE
MH4 - TRANSMISSION, 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC
NT7 - EMISSION - FEDERAL
QMY - 18" ALS BW TIRES
SAL - RAMOS ARIZPE
TSQ - INTERIOR LAMP PACKAGE
U30 - CLUSTER
UA6 - THEFT DETERRENT
UE1 - 1 YR ONSTAR DIRECTIONS WITH AUTOMATIC CRASH RESPONSE & TURN-BY-TURN NAVIGATION (ASK DLR ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE)
UQS - BOSE 5.1 SURROUND SOUND
UYS - AUDIO SYSTEM W/ NAVIGATION INC: *AM/FM/XM STEREO, CD/DVD PLAYER *NAVIGATION & VOICE RECOGNITION *8-INCH TOUCH SCREEN *40 GB HARD DRIVE *BOSE 10-SPEAKER SYSTEM *REARVIEW CAMERA
VT7 - OWNERS MANUAL
YM8 - IDENTIFIER - LPO
1AF - DOOR TRIM
1SZ - OPTION DISCOUNT
44F - WOOD TRIM PACKAGE
5AD - SAPELE SHIFT KNOB
7AA - SUSPENSION
9X2 - SUSPENSION
AFD - TITANIUM WITH EBONY
AL0 - AUTO OCCUPANT SENSING
ANY - REAR CARGO STORAGE
ASV - HUMIDITY SENSOR
AXP - MPV
BTV - REMOTE VEHICLE START
C6S - GVW RATING, 2,520 KG
CJ2 - DUAL ZONE HVAC
DR4 - MIRRORS, OSRV POWER, HEATED
EF7 - USA
F07 - REAR AXLE, 3.39 RATIO
FBJ - INTERIOR TRIM
FE9 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS
JF4 - POWER ADJUSTABLE PEDALS
JL9 - BRAKES 4-WHEEL ANTILOCK
KG4 - 150 AMP GENERATOR
LHD - LEFT HAND DRIVE
QF8 - 18" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS
SLM - STOCK ORDER
TB5 - POWER LIFT GATE
U2K - XM RADIO - SERVICE SUBSCRIPTION SOLD SEPARATELY BY SIRIUS/XM AFTER 3 MONTHS
U70 - DRIVER INFO CENTER DISPLAY
UD5 - PARKING ASSIST, FRONT/REAR
UEC - SENSOR AUTO AIR RECIRC.
UPF - BLUETOOTH FOR PHONE
UVC - REAR VIEW CAMERA
V64 - ROOF RAILS, SILVER
VAV - ALL WEATHER FLOOR MATS (DEALER INSTALLED)
VK3 - FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET
VVO - SAPELE CONSOLE

JWLaRue
01-02-13, 08:16 PM
I'm new to the Cadillac family, but a long time GM customer. I just picked up a 2013 SRX this past Friday. What a joy to drive!

About the nav system...I too am seeing some roads missing or lacking names. These aren't new roads by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks to others in this thread, I'm going to ask my dealer to see if there is an update available.

Also, Katie - can I also get my build sheet? The last 8 of the VIN are: xxxxxxx

-tnx!

Jeff

GEORGEC
01-02-13, 08:33 PM
I have yet to see an installed nav system in a vehicle that I like as much as a portable. This updating is a major reason for the portable.

Anyway I have to have the portable when I fly. I take my Garmin Nuvi with me everywhere I go. I also have lifetime updates on it.

Too bad the automobile manufacturers cannot at least get as good a system for even twice the money.

George

Kennyj
01-02-13, 09:40 PM
I have yet to see an installed nav system in a vehicle that I like as much as a portable. This updating is a major reason for the portable.

Anyway I have to have the portable when I fly. I take my Garmin Nuvi with me everywhere I go. I also have lifetime updates on it.

Too bad the automobile manufacturers cannot at least get as good a system for even twice the money.

George

I agree. If lifetime traffic and updates come on a 200 portable device, you would think that car manufactures could also provide free updates when you take the car in for service

algiorda
01-02-13, 10:40 PM
I actually have a different opinion regarding the SRX Navigation system vs. the Portable devices. I find the SRX Nav system to be incredible for my area. The 2013 Cue Navigation is even more incredible with the natural language recognition. I tested this during my test drive, and it worked flawlessly.

One of the reasons the portable unit maps are more accurate is because of user supported map reports. If you have an issue with inadequacies in your maps, you can call a toll free number to report the issue. This will create more accurate maps over time. I haven't seen the same service for the GM Nav system maps.

George

wekz1
01-03-13, 09:46 AM
Thanks Katie. Perhaps I did not explain my concerns properly. We have a 2012 SRX with Nav Sotware version #20.11.03. Does the Version number indicate that 2011 Map Software is loaded into my Nav System. If it does, I will need to talk to my dealer again. I should not have to pay for updated software that should have been included at time of vehicle purchase. So far, my dealer has not been able to answer my question. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-03-13, 11:18 AM
Thanks Katie. Perhaps I did not explain my concerns properly. We have a 2012 SRX with Nav Sotware version #20.11.03. Does the Version number indicate that 2011 Map Software is loaded into my Nav System. If it does, I will need to talk to my dealer again. I should not have to pay for updated software that should have been included at time of vehicle purchase. So far, my dealer has not been able to answer my question. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any confusion, Wekz! I would be happy to research this question for you, but it may take me up to two full business days to check my resources properly. And in order to research using our business procedure, I would need the last eight of your VIN. So, I do recommend checking with our GM Navigation Support team if you're seeking more immediate assistance.

I'm new to the Cadillac family, but a long time GM customer. I just picked up a 2013 SRX this past Friday. What a joy to drive!
About the nav system...I too am seeing some roads missing or lacking names. These aren't new roads by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks to others in this thread, I'm going to ask my dealer to see if there is an update available.
Also, Katie - can I also get my build sheet? The last 8 of the VIN are: xxxxxxx
-tnx!
Jeff

Many congrats on your SRX, Jeff! I look forward to your updates once you've had a chance to consult your dealership, and please see below for your option codes.

Best,

Katie

01F - INTERIOR TRIM
1SB - 1SB PACKAGE
2BX - SAPELE WOOD-TRIM INTERIOR
4AF - INTERIOR TRIM
5AD - SAPELE SHIFT KNOB
7AA - SUSPENSION
9L3 - TIRE SPARE NONE
AG2 - PWR SEAT ADJUST, FRONT PASSENGER 8-WAY
AL2 - SEAT ADJUSTERS, DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER POWER LUMBAR
AR9 - SEAT, FRONT BUCKET
ATH - EZ KEY PASSIVE ENTRY SYSTEM
AY0 - AIRBAGS, DRIVER & FRONT PASS. FRONT / SIDE IMPACT * AIRBAGS - SIDE HEAD CURTAIN
C3U - POWER SUNROOF W/ 2ND ROW SKYLIGHT
CEC - WIPERS, RAINSENSE
D42 - CARGO SHADE, RETRACTABLE
DD8 - INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR, AUTO DIMMING
EBS - SEAT TRIM
F07 - AXLE, 3.39 FINAL DRIVE RATIO
FE2 - SUSPENSION SYSTEM
GBE - CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT
JF4 - ADJUSTABLE PEDALS
JL9 - ANTI LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM
KTI - KIT, TIRE INFLATOR
LHD - LEFT HAND DRIVE
NC7 - EMISSION OVERRIDE
PCW - DRIVER AWARENESS PACKAGE: * FORWARD COLLISION ALERT * LANE DEPARTURE WARNING * SAFETY ALERT SEAT
R6I - PRICE PROTECTION FOR GBE AFTER ANNOUNCEMENT PRIOR TO BAIL RLSE
RAO - AUDIO SYSTEM, AM/FM STEREO, SINGLE DISC CD PLAYER,DUAL USB PORTS
SAL - RAMOS ARIZPE
TSQ - LED INTERIOR AMBIENT LIGHTING
UA6 - THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM
UDD - DISPLAY, MULTI-COLOR DRIVER INSTRUMENT INFO ENHANCED
UEC - SENSOR, AUTOMATIC AIR CIRCULATION
UFG - REAR CROSS TRAFFIC ALERT
UFT - SIDE BLIND ZONE ALERT
UQS - BOSE AUDIO SYSTEM, 10 SPEAKER
UY4 - NAVIGATION SYSTEM, INCLUDES BOSE SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM
VK3 - FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET
VVO - SAPELE CONSOLE
1AG - DOOR TRIM
1SZ - OPTION DISCOUNT
44F - WOOD TRIM PACKAGE - STEERING WHEEL, SHIFT KNOB
5A7 - WHEEL SPARE NONE
6AA - SUSPENSION
8X2 - SUSPENSION
9X2 - SUSPENSION
AFF - SHALE W/ BROWNSTONE ACCENTS
AL0 - AIRBAG SENSING SYSTEM, PASSENGER
ANY - CARGO MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
ASV - HUMIDITY/WINDSHIELD TEMP SENSOR
AXP - MPV
BTV - ADAPTIVE REMOTE START
C9X - GVW RATING, 2,480 KG
CJ2 - AIR CONDITIONING, DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL
DR4 - MIRRORS, OUTSIDE HEATED, POWER, FOLDING,DRIVER SIDE AUTO DIMMING
EF7 - USA
FBJ - INTERIOR TRIM
FHS - VEHICLE FUEL GASOLINE E85
I13 - ENGINEERING MODEL YEAR
JJK - SUSPENSION
KA1 - HEATED FRONT SEAT, DRIVER
LFX - ENGINE 3.6L, SIDI V6 E85 CAPABLE
M7W - TRANSMISSION, 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC
NE1 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS
NU5 - EMISSIONS, CALIFORNIA
QMY - TIRES, ALL SEASON BLACKWALL
RV1 - WHEELS, 18" ALUMINUM, BRIGHT FINISH
SLM - STOCK ORDER
TB5 - REAR LIFTGATE, POWER
U2M - SIRIUSXM AND HD RADIO + AERVICE SUBSCRIPTION SOLD SEPARATELY BY SIRIUSXM AFTER 3 MONTHS
UD5 - FRONT & REAR PARKING ASSIST
UE1 - 1 YR ONSTAR DIRECTIONS AND CONNECTIONS WITH AUTOMATIC CRASH RESPONSE & TURN-BY-TURN NAVIGATION (ASK DEALER ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE)
UEU - FORWARD COLLISION ALERT
UFL - LANE DEPARTURE WARNING
UVC - REAR VISION CAMERA SYSTEM
V64 - ROOF RAILS, CHROME
VT7 - OWNERS MANUAL
VZD - MODEL YEAR IDENTIFIER

Kennyj
01-03-13, 02:53 PM
This is an endless circle. Kate gave me the same answer. I took my car into the dealer who said they updated every software item in the car including the map. The version number for me was the same before and after the trip

JWLaRue
01-03-13, 06:19 PM
Thanks, Katie!

inspectorudy
01-03-13, 07:00 PM
I have noticed that if I am on a map scale that is too detailed I do not get the names of the streets that I am crossing. It is very frustrating but I guess it is to keep the memory available for other things. The scale that I use the most in a big city is one that does not display the names of the crossing street so I have to change the scale to see what the streets are named. Also, not to beat a dead horse but this nav system has tried to take me on some wild treks through Atlanta that I knew were not reasonable. All GPS system will do this sometimes but man this one will get a person into trouble really fast in a big city. Beware! I have found it to be helpful to go to a larger scale after the route has been loaded to get a general idea where it is taking me. If you are in an unfamiliar city be very careful of some of the routes that are suggested by this unit.

wekz1
01-04-13, 01:19 PM
Thanks again Katie. The last 8 of my vin is CS632548. I ran the complete vin and it looks like it was manufactured in Mexico, but It did not show the build date. Do you have the actual web address for the Nav Support team? The site will not load when I click on the link above.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-04-13, 03:05 PM
Thank you, wekz! I will update you with my findings early next week, and I appreciate your patience. In the meantime, I hope this link works better for you: http://mapupdate.navigation.com/GM/.

Best,

Katie