: Unusual Oil Dip Stick

PGASRX
12-23-12, 11:40 AM
Checked oil the other day on 2010 SRX and first time I noticed dip stick didn't have cross hatch markings. Flat dip stick had 5 machined punches (not punched through). Different then owners manual reference. Anyone else with this type dip stick?

Marc NY
12-23-12, 03:21 PM
Checked oil the other day on 2010 SRX and first time I noticed dip stick didn't have cross hatch markings. Flat dip stick had 5 machined punches (not punched through). Different then owners manual reference. Anyone else with this type dip stick? Yes that is the standard design OLI (Oil Level Indicator) stick that GM uses. (Photo below is my 2013 SRX 3.6L OLI stick)

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd198/MarcNY/OilLevelIndicator.jpg

NOTE: Although many car enthusiasts still use the term "DIP STICK" (even shows up in a lot of today's owners manuals) The actual term is called OLI or Oil Level Indicator - stick. Another example of old terms still being used today is when GM used to call their engine divisions by MOTOR. Motor stands for electric not gas, hence GM doesn't use that term anymore for example "CHEVROLET MOTOR DIVISION" was eventually changed to GMPT (General Motors Powertrain _______ Engine Plant). Another term that has changed over the years is the term "Rocker" cover which is now referred to as "Valve" cover instead.

*I don't think the old "RAT MOTOR" - "BIG BLOCK" crowd will ever change their mantra though ... LOL

GGMiv
12-24-12, 06:14 PM
So they should not have been called General "Motors" from the beginning? :)

Merry Christmas!

Marc NY
12-24-12, 08:52 PM
So they should not have been called General "Motors" from the beginning? :)

Merry Christmas!Unfortunately, GM could not now change their name for they would have to have called themselves General Electric! :histeric: