: Speed advisory

1SGLAC
12-22-12, 06:56 PM
How do I get this in my car? A saw a rental DTS with it. It actually helps

Submariner409
12-22-12, 07:53 PM
It MAY be a provision on the personalization section of your owner's manual. otherwise, I think it's programmed into the PCM for rental/fleet vehicles. Ask your GM dealer service rep.

Ludacrisvp
12-22-12, 10:17 PM
ddalder has it in his car (one of the many things he retrofitted into his car), I believe he said he needed a new HUD and instrument cluster and possibly a newer nav unit?

1BadCadSTS
12-22-12, 10:38 PM
^correct.

Be much easier to just read a sign don't ya think?

John Wicz
12-22-12, 10:45 PM
My '09 STS4 w/ Nav has it.

ddalder
12-23-12, 02:00 AM
My '09 STS4 w/ Nav has it.
This became available (and is standard) in the 2009+ model year STS w/navigation.

I did add it to mine. You require a 2009 or newer instrument cluster, HUD (if applicable) and navigation radio.

The instrument cluster is required because the DIC is used to turn on/off various settings, also to display messages if you don't have HUD.
The HUD is required because it is programmed with software to support this option. You don't necessarily require HUD to have this option, the system is also capable of displaying the messages on the DIC.
The navigation radio is required for the same reason as the HUD, different software. This is required to use the information from the DVD and broadcast it to the other modules (cluster and HUD). It may be possible to upgrade the software in a previous navigation radio, but it would require programming through GM's Service Programming System with a special version that only the GM Technical Assistance Center can arrange. My guess... that won't happen. Therefore, you'd need to source a radio with the newer software already loaded.

This, as with all my mods/upgrades aren't "necessary", won't increase the value of the car and certainly aren't worth the dollars I've spent adding them. But for me it's a hobby. I enjoy doing the research, learning how the different systems work, sourcing the parts and making it happen. You'll need to decide if it's really worth it for you, but likely not.

B1n2fra
12-23-12, 08:43 AM
This became available (and is standard) in the 2009+ model year STS w/navigation.

I did add it to mine. You require a 2009 or newer instrument cluster, HUD (if applicable) and navigation radio.

The instrument cluster is required because the DIC is used to turn on/off various settings, also to display messages if you don't have HUD.
The HUD is required because it is programmed with software to support this option. You don't necessarily require HUD to have this option, the system is also capable of displaying the messages on the DIC.
The navigation radio is required for the same reason as the HUD, different software. This is required to use the information from the DVD and broadcast it to the other modules (cluster and HUD). It may be possible to upgrade the software in a previous navigation radio, but it would require programming through GM's Service Programming System with a special version that only the GM Technical Assistance Center can arrange. My guess... that won't happen. Therefore, you'd need to source a radio with the newer software already loaded.

This, as with all my mods/upgrades aren't "necessary", won't increase the value of the car and certainly aren't worth the dollars I've spent adding them. But for me it's a hobby. I enjoy doing the research, learning how the different systems work, sourcing the parts and making it happen. You'll need to decide if it's really worth it for you, but likely not.

Can it be added to a 07?? 1Sg hud

Submariner409
12-23-12, 09:05 AM
Heh, heh ............ My Garmin 1450 nüvi has the speed advisory feature - the lower right corner has the posted speed limit, and when you go over it, it turns red and shows your current speed.

BUT, for either Garmin or GM, if the maps are not up to date, then is the feature still useful ? On a recent trip to/from Charleston, SC several SC road speeds have been changed from 55 > 60 and 65 > 70. I did a map update this fall, but the Garmin (database) said I was speeding. (who, Me ??)

1BadCadSTS
12-23-12, 10:22 AM

Do you have your old HUD? Willing to sell it?

ddalder
12-23-12, 11:52 AM
Do you have your old HUD? Willing to sell it?
I do still have it. It's virtually brand new because it was just replaced under warranty a few weeks before I did the upgrade. I've been reluctant to sell it in case I ever decide to de-mod my car but it might be a consideration.

Heh, heh ............ My Garmin 1450 nüvi has the speed advisory feature - the lower right corner has the posted speed limit, and when you go over it, it turns red and shows your current speed.

BUT, for either Garmin or GM, if the maps are not up to date, then is the feature still useful ? On a recent trip to/from Charleston, SC several SC road speeds have been changed from 55 > 60 and 65 > 70. I did a map update this fall, but the Garmin (database) said I was speeding. (who, Me ??)
That is definitely the other problem. I have noticed areas where major road upgrades were done, the speed limit has changed, but the navigation disc information reflects the old speed limit. I did find that my TomTom iPad/iPhone navigation app also has this.

Can it be added to a 07?? 1Sg hud
I don't know for sure. The problem is in 2008, GM made changes to the car. Specifically of concern are the steering wheel controls and some of the functions related to them. My guess is that they may not work the same as with a 2005-07 radio. It isn't just that the 2008 has more controls, it's that the functions aren't identical. It would take a little more research to come up with a reasonable conclusion.

1BadCadSTS
12-23-12, 12:10 PM
Really want to add HUD to my 05 1sg. Seen one on eBay for 150ish. Let me know what you think.

ddalder
12-23-12, 12:30 PM
Really want to add HUD to my 05 1sg. Seen one on eBay for 150ish. Let me know what you think.
One problem you're going to have is that the instrument panel is different for cars w/ or w/o HUD. You'll need to change that as well. Of course since you have to take this out to add/change the HUD anyway, it would just require a replacement dash panel. There is also some differences in the HVAC ducting across the left side of the dash, along with the trim panel that snaps into place on top of the instrument panel. You will require use of a Tech2 in order to turn on the necessary option setting in the Instrument Panel Module. Finally, there is the wiring and HUD control. The windshield will work, but you probably won't have as clear an image as one for cars with HUD.

1BadCadSTS
12-23-12, 06:15 PM
It looked like I could cut out the section of dash and just get the upper plastic pad. Wiring didn't scare me but the hvac being different doesn't sound fun. Ill have to do more hw before I dive in.

ddalder
12-24-12, 01:05 AM
It may not be too bad. There may be one piece of ducting you might require. It should be available as a separate piece if you do.