: 2000 Catera Sport with intermittent engine stop problems

olddavid
12-21-12, 10:33 PM
This lady has a 2000 Sport that occasionally kills out of the clear blue sky, without warning. Sometimes the transmission light appears, but not always. She's losing patience and wants to sell a cherry 80k mile car that's spotless for $995. I'm going over to buy it in the morning - it's got a $600 salvage value - but I'm curious if anyone has had similar problems? She has had the Cadillac dealer change the trans. fluid as well as the COP replacement along with the blend valve replacement(?). I'm open to any suggestions, including changing the muffler bearings.

gvjv3
12-22-12, 12:16 AM
Try replace the CPS, it's just next to the oil filer

investor74
12-23-12, 05:10 PM
This lady has a 2000 Sport that occasionally kills out of the clear blue sky, without warning. Sometimes the transmission light appears, but not always. She's losing patience and wants to sell a cherry 80k mile car that's spotless for $995. I'm going over to buy it in the morning - it's got a $600 salvage value - but I'm curious if anyone has had similar problems? She has had the Cadillac dealer change the trans. fluid as well as the COP replacement along with the blend valve replacement(?). I'm open to any suggestions, including changing the muffler bearings.

Muffler bearings. LOL. Or maybe it is the Johnson Rod.

BTW, I second the CPS thought above. Also, make sure that when the engine is running, you are getting a solid 13.5 volts or more. These Cateras are hyper sensitive to the voltage.

hgqguy
01-06-13, 04:26 PM
Give us a more detailed account of EXACTLY whats happening? when does it not start.. is it hot? is it cold... did she just fuel it? is it after it has sat and ideling for a while with the a/c on....

these all have differnt meanings... if its hot and stalls/wont start cps.
if its been sitting and running for a long time.. could be starter.

if its right after fill up tank.. fuel purge valve..

we jsut need a better idea of what/when its happening.