: Rear Apllique

LDiddy
12-21-12, 02:06 PM
Hi,
I just purchased a 2007 escalade used. I noticed that there is about 1/4" play in the rear applique - it seems to be floating around. Are there screws that can be tightened to keep this in place, or is it simply 3M sticky tape keeping this piece attached to the rear hatch.

If there are screws are they accessed by removing the rear hatch's interior coverings?

Thanks!:confused:

soulsea
12-21-12, 02:29 PM
Yes it's bolted through the sheet metal to inside the rear plastic panel. It's a huge pita to get to the nuts to tighten them. You have to remove the inside upper plastic molding around the window, then the lower, carefully cause the tabs can break. Then the nuts are in between the inner and outer sheet metal ... it's a really tight squeeze to get to them and I think one of them is irritatingly close to the wiper motor. God forbid the nuts and tabs are broken back there and you have to replace the whole thing, including swapping the license plate and rear camera harnesses to the new one. Hopefully it's just some lose nuts and you can easily remedy the situation.

LDiddy
12-22-12, 01:03 AM
Thanks Soulsea. It's good to know that the appliqué is bolted on. Any idea if there is a diagram or video of the locations of the tabs. This will be my first stab at it. Thanks.

soulsea
12-22-12, 01:31 AM
I'm sorry LD, I don't have an accurate diagram of it ... hopefully one of the other members has access to one.

The only reason I know is cause I fubared mine on the Denali and had to get it replaced. When I did, I watched my body shop guy whilst he was dealing with it and I'm just passing along my observations. I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that once you have the inner upper and lower moldings off, you'll be able to spot all the attachment points ... but yes, it would obviously be preferable to have a schematic to guide you.

LDiddy
12-22-12, 02:02 AM
Got it. Thanks. I suppose I will invest in some good pry tools and go s-l-o-w...

soulsea
12-22-12, 09:19 AM
Yup yup, you might also want to have a buddy around to help you ... keeping the damn power liftgate in place while you work can be maddening. :)