: Front Camera

36dbldz
12-21-12, 05:35 AM
Im Going to be getting that gxm550 to unlock my nav. My fiancÚ will start driving my new 2010 Lac (yes I said it) for a few months and since she drove a Mazda 3 is not used to the size. Im thinking about adding a front cam and noticed they have regular cams and night vision cams. The question is there a big difference over the other? Will the light from my headlights make the picture whitewashed if I went with a night vision ? The price difference is a few bucks as I would go with something on eBay for 25 bucks with the china hookup. Any suggestions will be helpful, I'll probably mount cam behind my grille as well

mycaddi408
12-24-12, 07:53 AM
It's $2500 for night vision Flir camera, more than a few dollars. That's what I've seen at NavTv website. The ones on eBay just have LEDs to call themselves night vision. I have NavTv Baracuda and it works great. Have been playing with idea of front cam for a while. Looked at cams on eBay also. Difference between cams are if they are mirror image or shown correctly. Our stock reverse cams are mirror image, try to read a sign from the screen while in reverse and you will see words in reverse.

36dbldz
12-24-12, 09:24 AM
It's $2500 for night vision Flir camera, more than a few dollars. That's what I've seen at NavTv website. The ones on eBay just have LEDs to call themselves night vision. I have NavTv Baracuda and it works great. Have been playing with idea of front cam for a while. Looked at cams on eBay also. Difference between cams are if they are mirror image or shown correctly. Our stock reverse cams are mirror image, try to read a sign from the screen while in reverse and you will see words in reverse.

So something like this will be awight?

http://bit.ly/U6v2B2

baggedlvintegra
12-29-12, 10:45 PM
Been thinking about doing this as well due to the tight fit in the garage...how do you plan to hook it up? ie the rear camera comes on automatically when put in reverse, are you going to find a way to hook it up similar for similar functionality? Also how do you plan on tying it into the factory display?

BlownEscalade
12-29-12, 11:33 PM
You don't really need night vision for the front camera. Your headlights will illuminate the ground I front of you. On my 2010 RR Autobiography I had cameras all around the vehicle stock and none were night vision. They were all basic cameras.

36dbldz
12-30-12, 03:27 AM
Been thinking about doing this as well due to the tight fit in the garage...how do you plan to hook it up? ie the rear camera comes on automatically when put in reverse, are you going to find a way to hook it up similar for similar functionality? Also how do you plan on tying it into the factory display?

With nav-tv or the gmx550. It will come on automagically once you hit a determined speed. After reading what everyone has said about the 550 may go with the nav tv .......but would really want the iPod video out!

mycaddi408
12-30-12, 03:53 AM
you don't need the gmx550 for video out on iPod or Iphone 5. Plug and play here is link

http://youtu.be/cr0BmTMCPV0

36dbldz
12-30-12, 06:45 AM
you don't need the gmx550 for video out on iPod or Iphone 5. Plug and play here is link

http://youtu.be/cr0BmTMCPV0

In the beginning of video he said you need the lock pic to bypass radio and that gmx550 is the one people are having a lot of issues. That's why I'm leaning toward nav tv which doesn't have the ipod/iPhone. Video
out

mycaddi408
12-30-12, 02:30 PM
No lock pick needed. You can use Nav TV for video in motion. He just said that because he has lock pick. The lock pick has extra A/V connection on unit, Baracuda does not. You can hook it up to rear entertainment A/V plugs.

36dbldz
12-30-12, 05:07 PM
No lock pick needed. You can use Nav TV for video in motion. He just said that because he has lock pick. The lock pick has extra A/V connection on unit, Baracuda does not. You can hook it up to rear entertainment A/V plugs.

Word yo!

baggedlvintegra
12-30-12, 05:47 PM

So technically you could run the front camera just through the rear aux input without even having the navtv or lock pick right?

mycaddi408
12-31-12, 12:39 AM
So technically you could run the front camera just through the rear aux input without even having the navtv or lock pick right?

I'm sorry you misunderstood me. I was talking about the youtube video, and hooking up an iPod or iPhone5 to it using rear A/V. Barracuda has input for front camera on unit.

mycaddi408
12-31-12, 12:56 AM
here is a picture from my manual101815