: Dash

DarkMingBlueSTS
12-20-12, 07:53 PM
My dash piece is cracked where the defrost vents are. Anybody have any experience with removing and reinstalling that piece? I have a new replacement piece for it but I haven't had the time to look into reinstalling it yet so I'm just looking for some tips...thanks in advance

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-21-12, 09:48 AM
DarkMingBlueSTS, I realize you're looking for DIY help from owners, but I wanted to let you know I'm available if you decide to involve a dealer at any point. Please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

1SGLAC
12-21-12, 10:02 AM
You will need to remove the front two pillars.Just remove the air bag tabs with a flat head and use a socket wrench to remove the screw. Once you have them off, the dash has clips all around. I used a small knife to get in between the dash to unclip. Since you are taking out the cracked one you will learn how to put back the new one. Hopefully this helps

DarkMingBlueSTS
12-21-12, 06:21 PM
Thanks Katie and Lac....ok that should be pretty easy

ddalder
12-23-12, 04:01 PM
I certainly don't recommend using a knife. The dash material is soft and there's always a chance of the knife causing expensive damage. Buy yourself a set of plastic, non-marring trim removal tools. It sounds like you do quite a bit of work on the car yourself so this is a great investment. I have a Snap-On set, but you can pick some up at Harbor Freight very cheap. The screws holding the 'A' pillar trim panels in place should be a 7mm hex head. Again, use the right tool to pop off the 'Airbag' screw covers. When my car was under warranty, the "less than careful" Cadillac technician (who also broke several parts on my car) used a dirty screwdriver. He managed not to damage the fabric, except for the grease stain I had to get off and all the dirty finger prints.

DarkMingBlueSTS
12-23-12, 10:31 PM
I certainly don't recommend using a knife. The dash material is soft and there's always a chance of the knife causing expensive damage. Buy yourself a set of plastic, non-marring trim removal tools. It sounds like you do quite a bit of work on the car yourself so this is a great investment. I have a Snap-On set, but you can pick some up at Harbor Freight very cheap. The screws holding the 'A' pillar trim panels in place should be a 7mm hex head. Again, use the right tool to pop off the 'Airbag' screw covers. When my car was under warranty, the "less than careful" Cadillac technician (who also broke several parts on my car) used a dirty screwdriver. He managed not to damage the fabric, except for the grease stain I had to get off and all the dirty finger prints.

I do my best to keep her functioning properly and looking good...ahh harbor freight has them, I didn't know that so I will pick some up there even tho I'm not a fan of their tools at all...thanks DD!

ddalder
12-23-12, 10:45 PM
I don't like their tools either, but when I was down in the Pittsburgh area last I stopped in to see what they had. Canada has Princess Auto, which sells pretty much the same quality as Harbor Freight. Generally I buy Mac, Snap-On or Craftsman. I did pick up a set of regular (metal) trim removal tools from Mac. These turned out to be absolutely terrible. I'm not sure how Mac could have put their name on them. The Snap-On equivalent is far superior.

1BadCadSTS
12-23-12, 10:50 PM
I live in Pgh and have yet to ever go there.

ddalder
12-23-12, 10:54 PM
I live in Pgh and have yet to ever go there.
Being from Canada, I like to see what else the US has to offer. Since we don't have one here, I had no idea what to expect.

DarkMingBlueSTS
12-24-12, 06:26 AM
I have one near me so I might be able to pick up a set today

DarkMingBlueSTS
12-27-12, 10:42 AM
Changed it out yesterday. Piece of cake, thanks for the help guys

reneeg
08-14-13, 09:19 PM
What's the actual name of the piece on the dash nearest the windshield? Mine is cracked also. I have 2005 sts. And the part # if u have that also. Thanx in advance!

1BadCadSTS
08-14-13, 09:20 PM
Defrost nozzle

reneeg
08-14-13, 09:40 PM
Thanx. One more question. It calls for with or without head up display. What is that?

Guy.Seminerio
08-14-13, 10:00 PM
Heads up display is when you have an image that shows your vehicle speed among other things projected on your windshield while you're driving. It's different because there is a big square opening right in front of the driver if you have the HUD.

----------

In front of the driver and not far from the base of the windshield.

1BadCadSTS
08-14-13, 10:02 PM
If you don't know then you don't have it.

reneeg
08-14-13, 10:03 PM
Thanx for the response. I actually just saw it on YouTube. I don't have it but it looks cool. Thanx again, now I won't order the wrong part! 😄

Guy.Seminerio
08-14-13, 10:08 PM
I bet you saw Liuda's video. He posted a 9:xx minute demo.

ddalder
08-15-13, 01:28 AM
What's the actual name of the piece on the dash nearest the windshield? Mine is cracked also. I have 2005 sts. And the part # if u have that also. Thanx in advance!
The description in the GM parts system is:

GRILLE,W/S DEFR NOZ

The part number depends on whether you have Head-Up Display or not, and whether you need one in cashmere or ebony.