: Bit the bullet. Bought fiance new car for christmas

truckinman
12-20-12, 07:28 PM
First off, no I didn't do this in light of 96fleetwood's thread about him doing the same thing. Lol.

We've been talking on and off about getting a new car and selling Hers. A month ago we went out looking but mainly bc I wanted to get a feel for what she wants. She doesn't care about fancy cars really so a car she really liked was a 2010 Kia Forte EX fully loaded (for an EX) and she loved it. But I never told her I was really trying to find a car for her for Christmas. She said the two cars she REALLY likes were this Kia, and a 2010 Rav4. I likes the Rav the most myself but when I went and looked at the two tonight decided it was a little out of my price range at 24k.

So I looked at the Kia again, and I've gotta say, I'm VERY surprised with today's "compact" cars. Comfortable, fairly stylish. Doesn't sound "tinny" when doors close. Actually sound VERY solid. Drives very nice. This one has the optional Eco package that has a 5 spd auto and gets 36 mpg highway. And after reading about the forte, I found out the designer of Audi actually designed this car, and if you look closely, you can almost see a bit of the A4 in the tail light region.

This one has the two tone mocha/black interior. And the interior is another thing I'm impressed with. There are some hard plastics, but it's all designed very well. Looks pretty good inside. And TONS of room for such a small car. I'm 293 lbs, 5'10" and I was plenty comfortable in it

Now it sitting at the dealer and I've gotta figure a way to give it to her either christmas eve morning so we can drive it the two hrs to my folks, or Christmas morning. But I want to have it parked out front so when she steps outside it'll surprise her. But I don't really know anybody here to ask to drive it from the lot 25 miles away, to our place. Anyways here it is. Nothing special, but I actually like it. I'm very surprised how much I actually like this as a compact. .

http://i.pgu.me/8YP7dmjG_original.jpg

----------

[/COLOR]http://i.pgu.me/YwKHMl7g_original.jpg

http://i.pgu.me/pWOxzv2S_original.jpg

creeker
12-20-12, 08:12 PM
Matbe the dealership will go the extra mile and drop it off at the house.

truckinman
12-20-12, 08:32 PM
Well the salesman actually offered to drive it or my caddy to our house if i could give him a ride back. he was going to do it before work or after, but our schedules couldnt coincide with each others. but it didnt sound like the dealer would actually do it. id ask my step dad, and he would do it with out question, but hes 2 hrs away, and i cant bring myself to ask him to drive all that way just to turn right around. lol. im sure i can figure something out.

rodnok01
12-20-12, 11:16 PM
If you can wait until around @2am Saturday I'll be passing through and I can swing by and pick ya up and drop you off at the dealership :)
I rented a couple KIA a few years ago and I was surprised the quality wasn't bad, just scaled down from the big boys models. Lots of options and rode pretty good.

truckinman
12-21-12, 02:26 AM
If you can wait until around @2am Saturday I'll be passing through and I can swing by and pick ya up and drop you off at the dealership :)
I rented a couple KIA a few years ago and I was surprised the quality wasn't bad, just scaled down from the big boys models. Lots of options and rode pretty good.

I appreciate the offer! But I think I've got something figured out. I'll have to work sunday night so when I get off in the morning I could leave the caddy at the dealer and drive the Kia home. Then she could drive me back in the new car to get mine b4 taking it to my parents. Lol. Work in progress. Lol

96Fleetwood
12-21-12, 07:22 AM
Congrats! The interior looks user friendly and comfortable!

truckinman
12-21-12, 07:38 AM
Congrats! The interior looks user friendly and comfortable!

Thanks fleet! It was funny, I showed her your post about you doing this, and I was already thinking about it, I just wanted to see what she would say. She goes "honey, that's what you need to do!" in a playful but hopeful tone. Lol.

It's also funny bc she always has reminded me about the same thing you ended your post with. A happy wife is a happy life! Lol.

She kinda wanted to wait until after the wedding to buy something, but the way I'm justifying this is now, we can sell her Saturn and put that money towards our honeymoon/wedding. Lol. So it works out perfectly. Lol

And it really is user friendly and surprisingly comfy. It's actually got MORE leg room in the back than my STS. Plus it's got hands free Bluetooth and really quite a lot in such a small package. It's also surprisingly peppy. It's no X5 M. Lol. But at 2700 lbs, the 156 hp and 139 torque will get it up to 60 in just above 7 seconds. Nice tight handling for it's class too. It's no Mazda 3, which we also test drove, but it's satisfactory IMHO.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-12, 08:23 AM
The Fortes are fun to drive, zippy little cars. They're very "tossable" with great steering feel and a very light, playful feeling. Like you said, the 156hp 2.0L is one of the more powerful base engines in that class and it only gets better when you move up into a 173hp 2.4L in the SX models.

The black exterior with the mocha interior is a hard to find color combination, they didn't bring that one back for 2011 or 2012.

truckinman
12-21-12, 08:50 AM
The Fortes are fun to drive, zippy little cars. They're very "tossable" with great steering feel and a very light, playful feeling. Like you said, the 156hp 2.0L is one of the more powerful base engines in that class and it only gets better when you move up into a 173hp 2.4L in the SX models.

The black exterior with the mocha interior is a hard to find color combination, they didn't bring that one back for 2011 or 2012.

Yea I noticed I couldn't find ANY others with the mocha interior besides this one, and that's one thing she loved about this car the first time we looked at it. So I took the fact it was still there a month later as a sign and didn't wanna risk passing it up. Plus she really wanted a sunroof which is pretty hit or miss on the EX. So that and that interior color I knew would be nearly impossible to find again.

I would have personally rather had the SX as well. But she doesn't care about driving characteristics like I do, and with only 22k miles on it's 100k mile/10 year powertrain warranty, it really was to good a value far as I'm concerned.

This one does have the optional 16 inch alloy wheels which is a step up from the look of the standard wheels. They still don't look as good as the 17s on the SX, but I like them well enough.

It definitely gets better mpg than her Saturn. You'd think that 2.2 ecotech would be a great gas saver, but it only averages around 23 combined. Only 2 better than my STS. Lol. But with the Eco package on the forte, it SHOULD combine around 30. By far the best I've EVER had!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-12, 09:06 AM
The EX has a Premium Package that got you the sunroof and alloy wheels. Without the premium package, the EX has wheel covers, the SX is the only Forte to have standard alloy wheels. Does hers have the auto dimming rearview mirror as well? A lot of EX's have that accessory.

Oh and on a pre-owned Kia, you don't get the full 10/100k warranty, it goes down to a 5/60 warranty on the overall car and on the powertrain as well.

truckinman
12-21-12, 09:18 AM
The EX has a Premium Package that got you the sunroof and alloy wheels. Without the premium package, the EX has wheel covers, the SX is the only Forte to have standard alloy wheels. Does hers have the auto dimming rearview mirror as well? A lot of EX's have that accessory.

Oh and on a pre-owned Kia, you don't get the full 10/100k warranty, it goes down to a 5/60 warranty on the overall car and on the powertrain as well.

I believe it does have the auto mirror. And ok good to know about the warranty.

truckinman
12-21-12, 11:12 PM
Well, I went ahead and gave it to her today. BUT we took it back bc, although she LOVED my surprising her, Shea really had her heart set on a Rav 4 for a while. So I bought her a 2010 rav4 limited with the GPS and keyless start. Beautiful color. White pearl. Tan leather heated seats. 25k miles. I got a 125k mile warranty as well. Ordered the remote start for dealer to install Jan 2.

Sadly it's only a 4 cylinder. But she wanted that one. 4wd. Which is really nice. She's ecstatic! Lol.

dkozloski
12-24-12, 07:46 PM
It reminds me of the old joke:First guy says, "Hey, I got a new washer for my wife". Second guy says, "Where did you make a trade like that"?
Variation:First guy says, "I got a new washer for my wife". Second guy says, "Why did you get her a washer? She needs a bushing".