: Oil leak?

rla216
12-24-04, 02:25 PM
I am new to this site as I just bought a 98 Concours with 76K miles. I have had the common thrill of replacing the struts and air shocks with an aftermarket passive system [which is a great product]. I have a coolant leak which seems to be a small hose above the waterpump. Easy to fix. I chose to replace the plugs and discovered a small amount of oil around the plug boots in the number 1 and 3 plug holes. What does this mean? Valve cover gasket? Something worse? Otherwise it runs great and I love the car!

Pjs
12-24-04, 06:05 PM
N*'s have a o-ring seal inside the cam covers around the plug well holes. They cost about $1.15 ea. at the dealer

Ranger
12-24-04, 06:18 PM
Just wipe it out and foget. Do it again in another 50K.

BeelzeBob
12-25-04, 10:05 PM
Yea, just the o-ring seals around the spark plug wells. Unless you really want to remove the cam covers to repair I would just forget it. The only oil that will seep in is just casual oil that splashes on the spark plug wells from the inside. The spark plug wells are not standing in a deep reservoir or oil. If the only oil you see after 76K is the small amount you mention I would forget about it entirely. Certainly nothing major nor any sign of impending doom....LOL.

rla216
12-26-04, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the help. That is the first thing I've encountered that won't cost me anything!