: 1977 Coupe Deville HELP

Cowboy Cadillac #1
12-19-12, 09:34 PM
Just got a 1977 Cadillac Coupe Deville for $200 and want to restore it for my senior project. The car hasn't moved it about 7 years I think and need help getting started. What should I start with and what should I do first. Thanks

carnut
12-21-12, 08:40 PM
Pull all the spark plugs and then with an oil squirt can, inject transmission fluid in each hole. Not alot, just enough to coat the cylinder bore. Then get a fully charged battery. Let the fluid soak overnight then install new plugs and assuming it has oil in it, crank it over with the distributor unplugged. crank it over about 1 to 2 minutes. That should prime the engine. You need to siphon the old gas out of the tank. Add 5 or 6 gallons of fresh gas. Then slowly pump the throttle repeatedly as you crank it over. Once it starts it will smoke quite a bit till the trans fluid burns off. If it starts, remove the radiator cap and fill the radiator with water at this point so as to not waste coolant if it has a leak. have it TOWED to where you can work on it. Do a brake inspection looking for any brake fluid leaks, wheel cylinders hoses etc. Once you are confident the brakes are safe inspect all the cooling system hoses and condition of the radiator. report back.

Cowboy Cadillac #1
12-24-12, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the help, but I won't be able to work on it because I'll be out of the country for 2 months, but I'll try when I get back, thanks again.