: 08 Escalade Engine noise

LittleNo
12-19-12, 07:44 AM
As the title says, any ideas what this could be? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojN5iwijQ40&feature=youtu.be

It's nothing belt-drive related because the noises are also there with both belts removed.

My first guess was the Camshaft actuator because they're known for going bad, so I replaced it, with no change on the noises.

The Engine has normal power (the noises came while driving normally and with closed windows I even didn't noticed them). Totally strange is this: when the Engine warms up the noises are gone (in the Video it's a cold start).

My next step will be to remove the engine to pull the oil pan and check for any broken parts, debris etc.. So before I begin I wanted to ask if anybody has an idea on this strange thing.

MrHolland
12-19-12, 08:07 AM
WOWĄ!!!!!!! Is that real?!?!?!?!? Some have complained of the GM piston slap on start up, but that's awful. How many miles are on the car? Don't you still have powertrain warranty??

I youtube'd GM piston slap but none of what I found sounded like that.

Maliburider
12-19-12, 11:07 AM
My 07 EXT made the same noise. I narrowed it down to a few things. A known problem with most of the GM truck motors was breaking the back exhaust manifold bolt off on both sides. I fixed that which made it better. Also some were known to break valve springs, which is what i had planned on fixing next. The other problem could be water pump bearing causing the squeek sound. I also had a check engine light come on with a misfire error on one of the cylinders. Sorry i dont remember the exact code or error. Fortunately for me some lady ran into me and totaled it so my problems went away.

48Dodge
12-19-12, 02:58 PM
That sounds godawful! Squeak could be idlers, 2 of them which are cheap and easy to replace. Or alternator which could be squeak and possibly some of the other noise. But it sure does sound like you have something internal going on. Get a long handled screwdriver and hold the handle up to your ear and place the point on parts you think might be making the noise. It acts as sort of a stethoscope.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-19-12, 04:41 PM
LittleNo, I'm so sorry you're experiencing these concerns. Unfortunately, my department doesn't have access to business policies for customers who currently reside outside of the United States. So, we recommend getting in touch with the Customer Service team near you, who are in the best position to assist you. Cadillac Germany agents are available via phone at 00800-8680 8800 or via email at cadillac.europe@gm.com.

Hope this helps,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

hannity
12-19-12, 10:54 PM
Dreaded piston slap? May be something else.

Tec80
12-20-12, 03:51 PM
The first thing I thought when I watched the video was "Aaah! Turn it off!"

That is a rod or main bearing failure. Could also be a thrust bearing failure - with the engine warm but OFF, grab the crank pulley and see if it will move F-R at all. If it moves more than a hair, you have a failed thrust bearing and that noise is the rods smacking the block when the crank floats forwards and backwards as the engine runs.

SouthernCaddy
12-20-12, 09:10 PM
I dont think it is a rod, it goes away and then comes back. I rod will not do that. He also said it does the same thing with the belts
off. Make sure the balancer is not coming apart and hitting the timeing cover at the crank.

MrHolland
12-20-12, 09:31 PM
Also states the noise is gone when the engine is warm.

wwceaton
12-20-12, 09:35 PM
Have you tried to de-carbon the engine? could be worth a shot and also when cold unplug one coil at a time to see if you can isolate what cylinder it is from.

LittleNo
12-21-12, 07:28 AM
That is a rod or main bearing failure
I think so too, that's why I'm going to pull&open the Engine

with the engine warm but OFF, grab the crank pulley and see if it will move F-R at all. If it moves more than a hair, you have a failed thrust bearing
there's nothing moving, I worked around the crank balancer (had to remove it) when I replaced the Cam actuator

Also states the noise is gone when the engine is warm.
that's what confuses me, shouldn't a problem with any bearing be present all the time?

The car has around 80k Miles on it (can't check right now due to the battery disconnected).

@Miss Cadillac Customer Service: Thank you. But the European Warranty policies are ridiculous, they refuse anything on this vehicle because it was sold inside the U.S. And even if they would, the European Cadillac Dealers have no clue about their cars, trust me, I will fix this faster and better as they ever could.

cadmanchris
12-22-12, 01:41 PM
Had something at work that sounded familiar.

Turned out to be a wiped out cam and lifters. Not too sure if the cam bearings were bad.

LittleNo
02-25-13, 02:32 PM
OK, here's the solution, it was a rod bearing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgLmk0PSNZU

One half of the bearing was completely gone and rubbed off a lot of material from the crankshaft, so I have to put in a new crankshaft, rod, and a lot of bearings...

With the cam&lifters everything is fine, however I will put in the Compcam available for the L92 together with their valve springs and the cam phaser limiter. I've never done a camshaft upgrade on a VVT engine before, so this is going to be interesting ;)