: Bypassing Navigation Features

1st_time_owner
12-18-12, 08:26 AM
I was wondering if there is a way to bypass the safety feature on the navigation that prevents inputting destinations while driving. We are taking a very long road trip and it would be nice if the passenger could change the route without having to pull over. Any ideas and/or info would be much appreciated!

wesyder
12-18-12, 10:27 AM
I was wondering if there is a way to bypass the safety feature on the navigation that prevents inputting destinations while driving. We are taking a very long road trip and it would be nice if the passenger could change the route without having to pull over. Any ideas and/or info would be much appreciated!

There was a writeup somewhere that involved putting a switch on the speed sensor wire at the radio harness so with the switch off the radio could not see the vehicle moving therefore allowing you to use all the nav functions while moving

jnrsesv
12-18-12, 10:17 PM
No its pulling a wire from the harness (or cutting it) back of the NAV/Radio. I used a small pick and disconnected the green/white wire from the harness, then doubled it back and wrapped it in electrical tape. I did it this way so I could easily plug the terminal back into the harness if necessary.

NOTE: By doing this, the NAV does NOT update (show where you are) as quickly as with the wire attached, only sometimes though. Thats the only draw back. It may also take a few minutes to update, so do not panic, maybe 5~10 minutes.

Heres the thread (look at post #2):

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/163481-navigation-while-driving.html

the cadillac man
12-18-12, 11:41 PM
No its pulling a wire from the harness (or cutting it) back of the NAV/Radio. I used a small pick and disconnected the green/white wire from the harness, then doubled it back and wrapped it in electrical tape. I did it this way so I could easily plug the terminal back into the harness if necessary.

NOTE: By doing this, the NAV does NOT update (show where you are) as quickly as with the wire attached, only sometimes though. Thats the only draw back. It may also take a few minutes to update, so do not panic, maybe 5~10 minutes.

Heres the thread (look at post #2):

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/163481-navigation-while-driving.html

Also the system can freeze sometimes(I have seen it in other forums) if the wire is left disconnected to long.

caddydaddy
12-19-12, 12:01 AM
I bypassed it by using a Garmin GPS, which works faster and is easier to use! I hate the stock Nav system!

the cadillac man
12-19-12, 12:30 AM
I bypassed it by using a Garmin GPS, which works faster and is easier to use! I hate the stock Nav system!

To each they're own I like the audio quality for the nav unit I have yet to use the nav disc as I can use my iPhone which uses a server database(never need map updates)

caddydaddy
12-19-12, 12:33 AM
To each they're own I like the audio quality for the nav unit I have yet to use the nav disc as I can use my iPhone which uses a server database(never need map updates)

The stereo is fine, but the Nav system is slow and not as easy to use as others.

the cadillac man
12-19-12, 01:48 AM
The stereo is fine, but the Nav system is slow and not as easy to use as others.

I have seen worse but there is always room for improvement(I haven't got the updated disc yet)
I wish they would do it like google or apple does but I know that's just wishful thinking

You have to keep in mind that the DVD has close to 8gbs of data hence the slowness(graphics is close to the dual in dash nav unit I had in my previous car(I kept that radio as I like it) but the downside is the discs are pricey for the factory system

jnrsesv
12-19-12, 07:22 AM
Also the system can freeze sometimes

Yes this is true, but not very often. I think ours has frozen 3~4 times since I disconnected the wire (almost 2 years ago). It only feezes for a minute or two, then returns back to normal.

I will say this, for the little quirks that come from disconnecting the green/white wire, it sure is worth it if you use the NAV often as I do.

wesyder
12-19-12, 08:57 AM
Yes this is true, but not very often. I think ours has frozen 3~4 times since I disconnected the wire (almost 2 years ago). It only feezes for a minute or two, then returns back to normal.

I will say this, for the little quirks that come from disconnecting the green/white wire, it sure is worth it if you use the NAV often as I do.

Im thinking a switch will cut down on your delay and freezing, switch off enter dest. And turn it back on.. Also the updates are just maps, has nothing to do with the hardware so of course todays nav setups are superior

the cadillac man
12-19-12, 01:36 PM
Im thinking a switch will cut down on your delay and freezing, switch off enter dest. And turn it back on.. Also the updates are just maps, has nothing to do with the hardware so of course todays nav setups are superior

I seen that on another forum site(forgot which one as I have been on so many) I am thinking of doing the switch on mine before I start using the navigation of the radio(not all aftermarket nav radios are better then factory but it depends on what brand you get)

jnrsesv
12-19-12, 02:20 PM
Some owners in the above link did install a switch to the green/white wire, its all in the link.

Heres the link again: