: Volant Air Intake?

danbuc
12-24-04, 02:56 AM
I was just thinking to myself, the K&N filter doesn't seem to do much with the stock air box. What about that Volant Air Intake. I saw that they make one for the 01-04 Deville. Does anyone know if they actually provide any added performance over stock. I ask because I bet that it would fit my STS. The engine compartment is nearly identical, so I think it would fit. Just a thought. :)

an01sts
12-24-04, 03:33 AM
I'm glad to pick up that tidbit about the K & N filter. You mean that it dont' do didilly squawt? I'll be sitting here with baited breath! I really want to hold off on the modified exaust as a performance upgrade. I'm sure that it works well, but I need stealth performance upgrades, stealth meaning that with the hood closed, no one can tell. That way, you can lie, lie, lie.

danbuc
12-24-04, 04:17 AM
Over the last year or so, the K&N filter has been debated over and over again only come up with little or no performance gains. I decided to do my own experiment a few months ago. Since I needed a new air filter, I went to my local autozon and picked up a OEM style paper filter, Fram paper filter, and a K&N filter. I started at around 10:00 and ended around 4:00. First I put in the K&N and went and test drove my car. I pick out a route that I could drive in the exact same way for each filter. It more or less consisted of getting onto the highway and flooring it to 3 exits down and then taking the back roads back home. I then tried the Fram paper filter, and finally the OEM style paper filter. I repeated this three times in a row with each filter. Each time, the performance seemed to be the exact same, even with my Corsa exhaust, there was no difference. I then proceeded to put the K&N filter back in the box and brought it back to Autozone and returned it. I kept the Fram in, mostly because it was still in there when I got back, and packed up the OEM style paper filter toi keep as a spare for the next time I would have to change it. Over all, the K&N filter being used in the stock airbox is no more efficient than stock, other than the fact that it's reusable. I also felt as if the car had slightly less torque with the K&N, it just didn't seem to pull as hard. I now just use the OEM paper filter from the dealer.

The reason I was interested in theVolant was because it was built for this specific application, where as the K&N is more of a "one size fits all" kind of deal. The people over on the CTS forum seem to really like it. Not only the added preformance, but the cool sound also. I'm planning to give the company a call on monday to ask them if it will fit. :thumbsup:

danbuc
12-24-04, 04:24 AM
The Corsa isn't really incognito, but it does look and sound awesome! Everyday since school started 4 months ago, people are still asking me about it. They hear me roar past the way home and I guess it get them thinking. Then they ask me what kind it is and when I tell them, they say stuff like, "You flew past me last night and it sounded cool as hell", or "Damn, what the hell kind of exhaust you have on that thing, its sound awesome". I really get a kick out of that. I will post my find monday night afte I call them and let you know what they say. ;)