: Thinking about going back to school for automotive technology

truckinman
12-17-12, 05:44 AM
I'm thinking about doing something a bit different. I love working on cars and doing anything I possibly can just to be around them. I like driving a truck, but I feel if I want to start a family, I don't want to be driving a truck. Yea I'm home every day as of right now, but that could change any day. If they lost this account or something like that happened, I'd be back to over the road where I'm out all week. Plus, even now, there's no certainty that I come home every morning. I still some times get screwed into doing a job where I get stuck out a couple days.

And not to mention all the regulations we have to abide by just to stay legal. The government in constantly tightening that figurative noose around our necks, making it harder and harder to make an acceptable income.

And there's always the danger factor. There's so many accidents out there involving big trucks, it's unreal. Just last week, we had two drivers get into accidents on the exact same mile marker of the same highway by the yard. One killed the driver of the car he hit. The other driver was killed himself. With in two days of one another. I can't tell you how many close calls I've had where I've actually had to stop and thank who ever or what ever that saved me from killing myself or another person.

This is just a job where the next day is never a certainty. Anything can happen.

Again, tho, I really like working on cars. I know respectable money can be made if you can get work at a new car dealer. It would give me more knowledge so I can fix more complex problems on my own cars.

I think I could make a better career, as a family man, by becoming a master certified automotive tech than I can as a truck driver.

What are some of your thoughts? Any good schools in Ohio area? I'm thinking about Columbus State Comm College. Any pointers on looking for a good tech job after school?

CadillacCastle
12-17-12, 06:20 AM
be sure you can get benefits. A friend is a Cadillad dealer mechanic and he has zero benefits. His wife just had a heart attack and he can not afford the tests she needs. Another mechanic at the same dealer just quit and went to teach mechanics at a prison because they have insurance and retirement benefits and 20 year retirement.

EcSTSatic
12-17-12, 09:25 AM
I love working around cars too, but it's not something I'd want to do forever. Besides the benefits which are a huge part of any career package, turning wrenches just gets sold after a few years. I tried it for a while when I was going to school. I even went to an automotive school while I was working at Cessna. I had to find out which path was right for me and I decided it wasn't auto mechanics. If you do decide to go that route, consider some business courses and plan to manage mechanics or a shop floor someday. Plan for the long haul to use your vernacular. :)

truckinman
12-17-12, 10:34 AM
I love working around cars too, but it's not something I'd want to do forever. Besides the benefits which are a huge part of any career package, turning wrenches just gets sold after a few years. I tried it for a while when I was going to school. I even went to an automotive school while I was working at Cessna. I had to find out which path was right for me and I decided it wasn't auto mechanics. If you do decide to go that route, consider some business courses and plan to manage mechanics or a shop floor someday. Plan for the long haul to use your vernacular. :)

I was actually planning on doing the manager auto tech course or something along those lines. They focus more on business management and entrepreneurship in that course. It's a two year associates degree course. So lots of business courses in that. And I've already got a semester of business management and business law under my belt as well.

But this course helps to put you into a management position straight out of school. Or to at least speed up the process.

drewsdeville
12-17-12, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure what your expectations are, but the only way to really make good money working on or near cars is to own a shop/dealer. You'll never make anything working for someone else.

I also second that you may like working on cars, but don't make the same mistake as many 18 year old high school seniors thinking that working as a mechanic for a living will be just as much fun as tinkering with your personal car in your driveway. Working on other people's junk, some never satisfied, while not getting well compensated isn't everyone's dream job.

The industry has a high turnover rate for a reason.

orconn
12-17-12, 03:18 PM
Why not go back to school to learn to become a skilled machinist, or some other skilled trade where the pay and benefits are better?

If you would be interested in moving east a bit to Cambridge, Ohio, a friend of mine who owns a plastics company there tells me they just can't get the skilled people they need to fill the positions they need. You might try talking to the local businesses in that area to see what types of skills are needed.

Manufacturing jobs will be returning to the US in coming years so getting training in a skilled job will put you in a good position for a good job.

Ranger
12-17-12, 04:02 PM
You want some REAL advice? Go to the source. Stop in a few shops and talk to an old time wrench bender and see what he tells you. I'll bet you'll get an ear full.

vincentm
12-17-12, 04:17 PM
I want to also, sick of the IT industry

truckinman
12-17-12, 06:29 PM
Why not go back to school to learn to become a skilled machinist, or some other skilled trade where the pay and benefits are better?

If you would be interested in moving east a bit to Cambridge, Ohio, a friend of mine who owns a plastics company there tells me they just can't get the skilled people they need to fill the positions they need. You might try talking to the local businesses in that area to see what types of skills are needed.

Manufacturing jobs will be returning to the US in coming years so getting training in a skilled job will put you in a good position for a good job.

I'm not stuck on auto mechanics at all really. Really what ever I can do that's got a secure future. And a normal 9-5 so to speak. I'd work 14 hrs a day if I had to. I'd just wanna know I'd be coming home to my family every night. But I'm not an office kind of person unless that office is in a blue collar kind of environment. Such as machinist as you mentioned or anything like that. I'm mainly just notta suit n tie kinda guy.

But at the same time I want to get the actual education so I can actually earn more at the job.

orconn
12-17-12, 07:07 PM
What kind of money do you need to make?

ben.gators
12-17-12, 07:52 PM
I want to also, sick of the IT industry

People leave their jobs and go back to college to get a degree in IT or IT-related industries to have a better life in the modern world! Why are you moving backwards?

drewsdeville
12-17-12, 07:56 PM
Being previously well educated (both self and pro), I almost went for IT since I enjoyed it and it'd be easy to enter the field - until I started truck driving through school to pay for tuition. All of a sudden, I realized how much I valued MY time.

The problem with the IT industry is that everyone is on call for all reasons at all times, especially those who are making decent money (of course). Want a life? Don't work IT. It's another industry with an incredible turnover rate - aiding the abundance of jobs.

truckinman
12-17-12, 08:22 PM
What kind of money do you need to make?

Well her step dad makes 100k a year so her mom doesn't even work. But they've got a very nice house. Go on several cruises every year with her other two siblings. I don't feel I need to live that extravagantly. I mean right now I make around 42k a year. But no kids yet. I just want to know I make enough to allow my family to live comfortably. Between hers and my income, we are at about 72k. And we are plenty comfortable honestly. Can afford weekend get aways. Going out to nice dinners. A cruise once a year all while saving as well. I want to know I can always take our kids on a memorable vacation every year as well Like my parents did with my Sis and me. And of course a safe nice home. Lol. When I was a kid, my folks always had the money to do what they wanted with us and that's what I want.

I'd really like to make enough that she can be a stay at home mom for the first few years of our kids lives. But we both know how difficult that would be. But I'm the kinda guy willing to do anything to give his family that kind of life. And if I gotta wear a suit n tie, so be it. Lol

Ranger
12-17-12, 09:25 PM
I have heard that there is a shortage of certified welders. I saw it on the local news a few weeks ago. Some company had been advertizing for months and can't fill the job. Imagine that. Something else to consider.

02603sec
12-17-12, 09:26 PM
Truckinman. I like logistics. Icc license? I had a friend in chicago who would pickup editor copy at ohare and run it to quad four in wisc. He would take the first 20 copies back to ohare and make sure they were loaded on the plane.. easy money. Obama would be asking you for more income tax. Hook up with the large companies who require special time sensitive shipping. They're always looking. Hassett air freight.

vincentm
12-17-12, 10:27 PM
People leave their jobs and go back to college to get a degree in IT or IT-related industries to have a better life in the modern world! Why are you moving backwards?

Stupid people, sick of getting woken up at 2am by someone who forgot their password, reset it for them, only to have them call back 5 minutes later because they forgot the new one.

Stupid People, they ask me how'd i fix the issue and what caused and when i start to explain they interrupt me stating "you're going way over my head im not computer savvy to understand what you're telling me" Then why the **** did you ask you punk ass...

Stupid people, wake me up and i drive in to say "oh it doesn't work" when asked what the issue is. Well, next time i come in as a patient i'm gonna say i don't work, i don't know what's wrong i just don't work just fix me.

Stupid people, drive miles to an off site office only to have to push a power button because they're too stupid to do so.

I could go on and on...my mistake is i made a career out of a hobby, big mistake

orconn
12-17-12, 11:18 PM
I have heard that there is a shortage of certified welders. I saw it on the local news a few weeks ago. Some company had been advertizing for months and can't fill the job. Imagine that. Something else to consider.

I saw a piece on TV where a company was supplying 90 days of free training to become entry level machinist working on aerospace quality parts. Sounded good till they said that starting pay after training would $12.00 an hour (although they did suply a benefit package).

After hearing the company's spiel it sort of made me want to give up flying permanently!

EChas3
12-17-12, 11:35 PM
If you know what you like to do, there's some way to make it pay. It doesn't necessarily take more education. A lot of people spend a lot of time and money on formal education that doesn't get them closer to the life they want.

Look for other people that share your passions. How do they make a living from it?

Take a chance.

talismandave
12-18-12, 06:48 PM
I saw a piece on TV where a company was supplying 90 days of free training to become entry level machinist working on aerospace quality parts. Sounded good till they said that starting pay after training would $12.00 an hour (although they did suply a benefit package).

After hearing the company's spiel it sort of made me want to give flying permanently!

Between this and the "Hostess" thread I am starting to realize I belong to a different economic demographic than the people on this forum....:(
Glad there isn't an minimum income requirement to belong.

That said, money isn't everything. If you can find something you love doing, and enjoy the lifestyle it affords you, consider your life well lived. Being in a well paying job that you dislike can be costly to mental health, physical health, and budget.

vincentm
12-19-12, 12:55 AM
Between this and the "Hostess" thread I am starting to realize I belong to a different economic demographic than the people on this forum....:(
Glad there isn't an minimum income requirement to belong.

That said, money isn't everything. If you can find something you love doing, and enjoy the lifestyle it affords you, consider your life well lived. Being in a well paying job that you dislike can be costly to mental health, physical health, and budget.
I get paid well, but i hate it. I'd rather be happy